Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I've ugly-fied my M9

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I've ugly-fied my M9

I am a little paranoid to wield my M9 around town late at night, so I've decided to turn it a bit uglier with gaffer tape.

This is just stage one, I may take it a bit further, not sure. I actually like the feel of the rough tape, it provides extra grip.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I've ugly-fied my M9

Vlad,

The M9 slowly but surely is becoming unrecogonizable but that Lens can be spotted a mile away as that band of tape around the hood does little. Thats why I'm suggesting for you to send me the lens for safe keeping and I'll even make sure it's exercised a bit by using it regulary

Serious, the rough tape actually looks good and probabaly provides some grip. What I don't know is how stelth it becomes by taping the camera and whether this will deter potential theifs. Guess it all depends what they are after. This is always one of those debatable issues, but no dount it can't hurt and it certainly can only help. Funny, I used to do the same thing to my Spotmatics when I lived in the "city" years ago and headed down to the bowey late in the day and early evening to shoot...a time when the "City" was at the height of crime at the time.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would recognize that camera even if it was re-sprayed yellow LOL
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Vlad,

The M9 slowly but surely is becoming unrecogonizable but that Lens can be spotted a mile away as that band of tape around the hood does little. Thats why I'm suggesting for you to send me the lens for safe keeping and I'll even make sure it's exercised a bit by using it regulary

Serious, the rough tape actually looks good and probabaly provides some grip. What I don't know is how stelth it becomes by taping the camera and whether this will deter potential theifs. Guess it all depends what they are after. This is always one of those debatable issues, but no dount it can't hurt and it certainly can only help. Funny, I used to do the same thing to my Spotmatics when I lived in the "city" years ago and headed down to the bowey late in the day and early evening to shoot...a time when the "City" was at the height of crime at the time.

Dave (D&A)
    The tape on the lens was just for sh*ts and giggles, to make it match the body. I realize it's hard to hide the massive front lens element out of sight, that's why my sunlight shooter is of the lux variety. Much less conspicuous.

I don't know if it'll deter thieves, but it sure makes it look less shiny and new, more like a piece of crap held together by tape. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I would recognize that camera even if it was re-sprayed yellow LOL
    -bob
    Your trained eye doesn't qualify!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks enticing to me!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I don't know if it'll deter thieves, but it sure makes it look less shiny and new, more like a piece of crap held together by tape. We shall see.
    Seems to me that any thief who would recognise an M9 without gaffer tape would recognise one with it (that shape).

What I'm certain of is that ANY camera thief will know that a camera with gaffer tape on it MUST BE WORTH STEALING!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

To most people the M series aren't proper cameras, just some odd looking snapshot camera. Proper cameras are big and have have humps, huge lenses and wide straps with the makers name on and real photographers take pictures holding the camera at arms length to see the screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I am for anything that makes the photographer comfortable with their camera if gaffer tape floats your boat - go for it! If you feel safer with gaffer tape well that's the important thing.

one thing I do know - is that if you walk around like a potential victim- you exude potential victim status ..and that attracts attention...o how you feel about your being on the street is much more important than many realise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about insurance and enjoying that wonderful machine?
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have fun removing the tape later.

The safety factor is all predicated on street muggers and thieves having a discerning eye. As Peter said, they have an instinct for easy marks ... especially victims that are paranoid

When some dirt bag steps out of an alley way and whacks you with a baseball bat, or stuffs a pistol in your face, he won't be picky about what he steals off of you ... he'll steal everything. The down side is that the Pawn Shop will only give him a few bucks for your crappy looking $17,000. camera.

Hope I run across it in the Pawn Shop window for $100.

Post Thanks / Like

The opportunistic street thief, most likely, doesn't know about Leica. But grabs whatever there is, to learn about its "value" later. The ones who know are not hanging around at dark street corners.
    I believe dandy dressing, expensive watches, trendy sunglasses, the iphone or latest Android glued to the ear, the ipad looking out of the messenger bag, a bold Nikon, Canon etc strap around the neck much more scream, "look at me" rather than the odd looking Leica M in the hand.
    Last Sunday, I walked across Brooklyn bridge in NYC and also spent some time in very busy Chinatown. Only twice did somebody notice my M9, a teenager telling his parents "look, a Leica", and a young lady smiling and discreetly waving her beaten up film Leica at my digital M and wishing me fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think gaffer tape will not remove cleanly. It may also take the white lettering with it. I suggest acid-free black masking tape that artists use - the adhesive is far less aggressive. I have used that successfully.

Here's one source:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Masking-...6980753&sr=8-2

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

anyone actually had one ripped out of their hands?

i live and work in brooklyn and manhattan. no way would i gum up my cameras

there is way more $ value walking down any street in manhattan in bling adornment, even by Leica standards. don't see many taped up rolexes

Post Thanks / Like

Vlad,

What't the rlease button you have on there? I'v been thinking about trying one lately and like the simple look of yours.

Charles

BTW, I tape up my logos but with the 3M artists tape. Actually, I think if you really wanted to make it ugly, grey duct tape with shredded edges would be the best. Throw a little bondo and grey primer on for good measure!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

or you could just spend a few months in Afganistan shooting for the press

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    anyone actually had one ripped out of their hands?

i live and work in brooklyn and manhattan. no way would i gum up my cameras

there is way more $ value walking down any street in manhattan in bling adornment, even by Leica standards. don't see many taped up rolexes
    That's a good point. Gotta put everything into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    Vlad,

What't the rlease button you have on there? I'v been thinking about trying one lately and like the simple look of yours.

Charles

BTW, I tape up my logos but with the 3M artists tape. Actually, I think if you really wanted to make it ugly, grey duct tape with shredded edges would be the best. Throw a little bondo and grey primer on for good measure!

The soft release is the concave Match Technical Boop that I got from Popflash. I have this one and a red convex soft release from RapidWinder. I like them both equally, though my thick fingers are more comfortable on the Boop.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    or you could just spend a few months in Afganistan shooting for the press
    I am too much of a pansy to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vlad,

You think it's ugly now, just wait until you try to take the gaffers tape off!

I prefer to be discreet with my cameras, and not look like an easy target, rather than uglify them up. But either way, I like to keep a camera for a long while, and whether taped up or not, it'll end up have a bunch of wear on it, which makes it less of a target I suppose.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have to agree that it's much more of a mindset and the attitude in which you carry the camera, rather than what it looks like.

if you're paranoid enough to tape it up to uglyfy it, you're also probably walking around thinking it will be stolen -- a victim waiting to happen.

i've been in many less than the savoury situations with my M8 and Nocti and don't give it a thought... and, if i do, i think of what a marvellous weapon it would be! that chunk of glass could do some serious damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

People just don┤t know what they┤re seeing...

When I used a Nikon D200 with 17-55/2.8, people stared, or were startled by the sound. During the 8 months I┤ve carried the M9 (un-uglified...) daily, only 4 or 5 people have recognised it as a Leica, and 2 of these were old pro photogs (their eyes sparkled...).

So, I don┤t worry any more than I would just handling my i-Phone or wallet on the street. Prospective muggers take what they get; they┤re not too selective.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you belong to the Leica Black Tape Society.

One other member of this august body whom I know also black tapes the LCD on his M8.2, all except a little rectangle so he can see the histogram when he presses the review button. Purity.

(He is a spectacular street photographer. Whether the tape helps or not I dunno, but he likes the affectation so what the heck. :-)

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I see you belong to the Leica Black Tape Society.
    Clearly there's a market for a $12k LBTS edition.

Post Thanks / Like

After a while the part with tape will be different color with those that are not.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Vlad I like it. On the bright side, if you can get the tape off later without problems you'll doubtless have kept the edges from getting scratched or worn. Ditto the lens hood.

I agree with the other comments about giving off the "victim vibe" - a lot of truth in that.

I'd love to see the same camera & lens in a couple of years time - that'll be the LBTS reference model by then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the rule of thumb I use. I ask myself if I am that worried about my camera being stolen, should I even be there in the first place?

Better than gaffer tape is a 9mm autoloader in your side pocket.

Photon

Did you also consider taping your lenses up front?

Warmest,

Ton

www.tonvanmourik.com
    Last edited by Photon; 16th October 2010 at 13:26. Reason: html code

Post Thanks / Like

i also have gaffer tape on my M8, but covering less of the surface (just the labels). i'm not sure if it deters anyone, but, perhaps, the less informed street thieves.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

With the weight of this combo and a good strap, I wouldn't let a thief close enough to steal it. I'd simply bludgeon them with it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
    What about insurance and enjoying that wonderful machine?
    All of our disposable cash went into the camera + glass. That's why many non-affluent Leica owners subsist on a diet of Doritos.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos, it's Rice, Beans, and Doritos cooked into a Pie out here. We have a more "Mexican" influence in California

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i was wondering where my sudden craving for Doritos came from... could it be because i'm thinking about getting an M9?

nah, my starving student diet was always Top Ramen... i'm jealous you guys get crunch

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vlad, What kind of pictures the ugly-fied outfit spit out?

Or, is it just a show piece?

Post Thanks / Like

only expensive camera wear gaffer tape...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Vlad, What kind of pictures the ugly-fied outfit spit out?

Or, is it just a show piece?
    I've posted several in the big thread in this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

you could just remove the logo you know.....

someone will have fun with alcohol these days....

/sarcastic mode off

now seriously, why the heck you do that ? good Lord.... theives steal because they are opportunistic. if you leave your M9 unatended in a coffee table a thief will grab it. either be a M9, M8, M7 or a Canon 10D that is worht 23048 times less than almost any Leica.

Leicas attract , by default , less attention : they do not have huge SLR lens, usually they dont have owners that carry two mules and a donkey carrying their lenses and tripods, their straps dont have a camera manufacturer in big lettering...

But ye, gaffa tape for the win...

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Vlad !

I have done the similar in the past but......the glue or residue is just nasty...

I remember there is some kind of solution to clean out the residue and glue easily, anyone clue ?

streetshot

Yup, thats ugly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meowzilla View Post
    Good job Vlad !

I have done the similar in the past but......the glue or residue is just nasty...

I remember there is some kind of solution to clean out the residue and glue easily, anyone clue ?
    Any of the citrus based 'goo remover' products on the market will zap the goo while leaving the paint/chrome unharmed.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice move.
    Showing the world your 'top shelf' setup!

Post Thanks / Like

Vlad,

Way too ugly. I mean seriously. I will help you. I am ugly.

So send my the ugly M9 kit and that FUGLY D3X. Save yourself by getting a 5d mk2 and just shoot some cool fusion like the hip people do.
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

LCL999

I did something similar with my M7. I masked the red dot and the big white writing with black electrical tape. The reason was not so much to hide it from muggers (very few in Sydney) but to make the camera less conspicuous to potential subjects.

The tape was not very successful. After about a year the got all slimy, no longer held the tape. End result was the tape fell off but the sticky glue was left behind. I will get around to cleaning it up with metho soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LCL999 View Post
    ....The tape was not very successful..... fell off but the sticky glue was left behind. I will get around to cleaning it up with metho soon.
    Whilst understanding a need to personalise a camera's appearance [I once painted a camera --- shock horror], some gentle observations in this thread suggest that some tape adhesives bond more strongly over time [and especially with exposure to daylight]. I'd strongly recommend that you clean the adhesive gunk residue off sooner rather than later in case it is a type that sets excessively hard and damages the underlying finish [can you guess that I'm writing from experience?].

................. Chris

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    People just don┤t know what they┤re seeing...
    I've found this to be mostly the case. Those that know - will just know. But for the average person on the street, they'll just see a quaint old camera.

Throw a Luigi/Zhou case on there and you'd be surprised... I don't know how many times I got the "is that an old [film] camera?" question from random passers-by. One reason I opted for the "rally" (almost natural) leather color.

I've been in some sketchy parts of the world with my M gear, and I've never been hassled. Carrying a Canon 1D Mark IIn w/24-70mm f/2.8L zoom (complete with hood) was a totally different experience, however. I was eyed up and down everywhere I went. And if you've been to Ocho Rios, Jamaica... It got to the point where I just didn't want to carry it in the open, first off - and ended up taking less and less pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

as a matter of interest has anyone painted over the red dot with black paint - will ordinary enamel use to paint models be OK

(I understand that Leica will not give out or sell black "red dots")

Post Thanks / Like

too paranoid. you're in nyc and like any new yorker, just practice caution...

trust me, they, as in the unscrupulous are looking more on the big cameras with the red ring on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    as a matter of interest has anyone painted over the red dot with black paint - will ordinary enamel use to paint models be OK

(I understand that Leica will not give out or sell black "red dots")
    you can request a red dot from leica. they will send you one. use a flat black spray paint. spray from a distance and take your time. let it dry and then use a nailfile or sand paper to remove the paint on the word leica.

ive done this on my m8 then. i cannot find the painted black red dot to show you at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

...if I am that worried about my camera being stolen, should I even be there in the first place?
    And secondly, if you're worried about using your camera, isn't it entirely possible that a cheaper camera that you don't care much about might actually take better pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

If I saw that camera I would steal the lens and not the body.LOL Normal people just do not understand leicas any one that does would not steal it. David PS I am an ex NY er born and raised there for 42 years.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're feeling like a target, it might be more helpful when shooting to dress yourself down, not shave for a day or two, carry a ratty bag (diaper ones work well), sport hat hair, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks more like you're worried about scratching it the same way asians put plastic wrap around their furniture and remote controls