The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 25mm ZM

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Slowly and quietly adding to my M kit - picked up the Zeiss 25mm. Here are a few shots from the last two days in the park.

cmb_

One infrared. Focused to the infrared marking and handheld so the focus is not quite right or some shake. I like this lens for this purpose. Will need to experiment.

cmb_

My M8 kit is now Zeiss 25mm, Leica 35 Cron IV, Leica 50mm 1.5 Summarit, & Leica 85mm 1.5 Summarex. The Zeiss adds some bite, a very different look than the others and the only modern lens. At f/2.8 it is also the slowest!

Terry

I was about to say Charles the Zeiss is a radical departure from your other dreamy lenses but you just said it above. I like these but I think I may be bit more of a low contrast lens fan.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Interesting. I really like the infrared shot. What filter were you using on the 25mm Zeiss?
They are all beautiful shots. Congratulations on the new lens.

cmb_

Yes Terry, a radical departure but it still keeps the mix eclectic I hope! I will see in time if I like the higher contrast of the Zeiss compared to the others I have. To be fair, I need to shoot it much more and in different lighting conditions. The last two days I was out shooting in bright sun.

cmb_

Cindy - B+W 092 filter for the infrared shot. Converted to b&w in C1 using JFI profiles but then color toned in CS3. Thanks for looking!

gero

I have Leica lenses but I bought a Zeis 21/2.8 zm to try high contrast pictures (mostly back-light). It seems that the Zeis have the best flair control for this. Cromatic averations are also a consern for me and I don't know if the Zeis 18 would be even better than the 21.

This are some pictures with the 21.

Geronimo

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Charles
Love that first shot.
I have this lens too - I really like it for landscape, and the high contrast is a good look in lots of conditions.

I also have the 50mm sonnar - a lovely and idiosyncratic little lens.

Stuart Richardson

Wow Stuart, that diner shot is fabulous! (Empire right?)
Hi Charles, it is actually called Relish, it is in Williamsburg. I live right across the street from it...it is a great location. They rent it out often for movies, commercials and music videos.

A lot of my shots are taken there...

Daniel

Hi Charles, it is actually called Relish, it is in Williamsburg. I live right across the street from it...it is a great location. They rent it out often for movies, commercials and music videos.

A lot of my shots are taken there...
YAY Williamsburgh. Which part. We've been there since 1976. Northside section (Bedford Avenue near the L train). A lot has changed. We're still very shock and dizzy from the rapid changes.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks guys. I live on the Northside...North 3rd between Wythe and Kent. I have only lived here two years, but even in that time it has changed dramatically. There are skyscrapers going up on all four sides of me, so construction all day long. It gets tiresome after awhile. The degree of gentrification is amazing. I can't really criticize it, because I am surely a part of it, but things have happened at an alarming rate!

jlm

Workshop Member
i've had my shop in williamsburg (navy Yard) for 20 years. i know the Relish, haven't been there for a while...is that funky motorcycle repair shop still across the street?

Stuart Richardson

Jim -- the motorcycle shop is still there. I live in the same building...two floors above the shop. Sadly, the owner of the shop, Slick, just passed away about two weeks ago. He was a neighborhood institution...he had been here for ages and was a fixture of the neighborhood. I have a Serbian friend who used to live here 20 years ago when it was a very rough neighborhood. Slick saved her from being mugged once. He always looked out for the people in the neighborhood. I am sad to see him go. His son is in charge now I believe...along with Mike, his partner. This is the only photo I have of Slick:

cmb_

Gero, nice shots with the 21, I considered getting it but settled on the 25. Guy had the 18/4 and the images from it were really good, very sharp if I remember correctly.

Jono - Yes, I was thinking of using it for landscape and infrared on the M8. Glad to hear that you like it as well.

Last edited: