The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm summilux pre asph alternate

markmont

Looking for a 50mm or 35mm M lens ( with low f ) that has minimum focus distance of .7m. Any ideas? I can't afford a 3 grand lens. Thanks.

--Markmont.

dryrock

How about the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4? It's min. focusing distance is .7m

It's not exactly a Leica, but it doesn't have their price tag either. B&H has them new for $579. Steve Huff did a review of it, if memory serves.

markmont

Actually I currently have the Nokton 35mm f1.2 - Not really enjoying it too much. At low F I feel the focus could be sharper. More interested in a 50 at .7m. Wouldn't mind a 35mm with less than .7m if that exist either.

panda81

what about the zeiss 50mm f/2 planar?

from what i've read, but honestly no personal experience, it's an excellent 50mm lens. personally if i had to give up my 50 lux asph, i would try the zeiss.

B

bruin

Besides the pre-asph v3 'lux, there's nothing out-of-the box that goes to 0.7m. You can modify the CV 50/1.5 Nokton and Nikkor 50/1.4 to closer focus, though.

If you don't mind a slightly wider view, the 40/1.4 Nokton is actually closer to 43mm than 40mm.

dseelig

The zeiss 50 planar is my second fav 50 after the 50 lux . So if going cheap that is the lens to go for in a 50 . Hated the 50 f1.5 nokton

ashwinrao1

Here the lenses that I would consider

1. Leica 50 mm f/1.4 Summilux pre-asph (can be had for $1,500-2K). The last designs before the aspherical had 0.7 m close focus and an E 46 filter thread. Otherwise, same optical design

2. Voigtlander 50 mm f/1.5 Nokton (seem to sell for $300-400). From all that I have heard and seen, this is comparable to the pre-asph Lux, and probably the most affordable entry point into fast glass for the M system

3. Voigtlander 50 mm f/1.1 Nokton (seem to sell sued for $850). Huge, but a good performer. Noctilux sized.

I have not made any 35 mm focal length suggestions, as you have the 35 Nokton, and don't seem to happy there...35 mm fast glass is more expensive, other than the 35 f.1.4 Nokton, which is small but exhibits focus shift issues.

Best of luck!

khiromu

Not sure about F1.4 lens that focuses down to 0.7m (other than latest pre-asph Summilux), but if you can live with F2, Hexanon 50mm or Planar 50mm come to my mind with reasonable priceing.

I believe Nokton F1.5 only focuses down to 0.9m.

ampguy

50/1.5 modified J3 works great from .7m to infinity. My favorite 50 for when I need < 1 m, otherwise I like the 50/1.4 pre-asph lux v2. I used to think I needed .7m for 35 so carried around a v3 cron along with 35 lux pre-asph, but ended up very rarely needing the closer focus at 35, so now just use pre-asph 35s and 50s, and the J3 for close focus 50 needs.

Here are some images at .7m with the modded J3:

more here:

http://matsumura.smugmug.com/Photography/J8-wide-open-modded-7m/14209648_DPgLN

mathomas

If it turns out you're interested in a ZM Planar, I have a silver one to sell, in great condition. I just haven't listed it in B&S yet. PM me if interested.

pgmj

Besides the pre-asph v3 'lux, there's nothing out-of-the box that goes to 0.7m. You can modify the CV 50/1.5 Nokton and Nikkor 50/1.4 to closer focus, though.

If you don't mind a slightly wider view, the 40/1.4 Nokton is actually closer to 43mm than 40mm.
How is this modification done? Who can do it? It would eliminate my only gripe with the 50/1.5 Nokton.