Site Sponsors

Thread: Tel-Elmar 135 and the M8?

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tele-Elmar 135'4 and the M8?

I know some people are using them on the M8. I got one last night just because they seem so cheap and the optical quality seems very hight. I know Puts compares them to the Zeiss 135/4 Planar which was wonderful lens on my Conterex system.

I assume it'll bring up the 90mm frame lines. I'm not planing on coding it but will stick a cut filter on it but most likely just a B+W.

Anyone playing with the 135's?
    Last edited by johnastovall; 6th December 2007 at 05:11.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tel-Elmar 135 and the M8?

John I have a 135 Apo and what I did was had Leica change the mount to a 90mm mount so those frame lines come up as a 90mm, than they coded it also for the 135 2.8. Right now though it is in Solms getting a shim for back focusing
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    John I have a 135 Apo and what I did was had Leica change the mount to a 90mm mount so those frame lines come up as a 90mm, than they coded it also for the 135 2.8. Right now though it is in Solms getting a shim for back focusing
    Sounds good...

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John if you want i can ask Leica if the 135 elmar can have a mount change to a 90mm . Not sure it can but i can certainly ask. My conversion cost 125 dollars
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think you can change the mount on the Tele-Elmar. It is a completely different mount than most of the other M lenses.

I don't think it normally brings up the 90mm frame lines, but what ever is paired with the 135mm on the M6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the Tele-Elmar with excellent results. I think it was Jaap who described the method of bringing up the 90mm viewfinder lines. When mounting the lens,keep the button down and turn it a bit farther than the first click, until the 90mm lines appear. It works well, especially when you can check your shot immediately after shooting. I haven't coded the lens, but I, too, use the B+W cut filter. Regards. DR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sent a note to Leica NJ to see if it could be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hdrmd View Post
    I use the Tele-Elmar with excellent results. I think it was Jaap who described the method of bringing up the 90mm viewfinder lines. When mounting the lens,keep the button down and turn it a bit farther than the first click, until the 90mm lines appear. It works well, especially when you can check your shot immediately after shooting. I haven't coded the lens, but I, too, use the B+W cut filter. Regards. DR

That is correct. It doesn't shift focus either, as the focus linkage is flat and the helix is internal.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't use the 134mm Tele-Elmar very often. I have probably only used it with the M8 two or three times. Here a a couple shots from a few weeks ago when we took the kids and the dog for a walk. I think I was shooting at f5.6.