The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why is everyone selling their M8?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
It seems a lot of you are selling your M8's. Most have said they are going to MF. Aren't they two different tools or does the MF offer so much more?

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
I am mostly different from others here, as I put mine up for sale due to just not being a rangefinder person, for one thing, tried like crazy for over a year, and that I like my 5D a whole lot, and decided to use that with a prime lens or two when I travel light or just my 24-105L. I think for those that want the highesst quality and huge prints, MF is still the way to go today....

I don't have such deep pockets so I will wait for the 5D2 or 5d3....ymmv...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am not, so far...
I love having two bodies for walkabout use one long and one wide.
But I might sell one of them once I pull the MF trigger or a prettier face comes along.
Note that the D3 did not displace one, the D3 is relegated to low light event, long tele, and macro.
It is not so much that I want to dump an M8, just a matter of how much cash is best tied up in equipment.
-bob

JimCollum

Even though i have MF.. i can't imagine being without the M8. Although the MF gives better IQ, the M8 has been one of the top 3 favorite camera's i've ever owned. It's pretty much with me wherever i go.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It seems that way. But not everyone is. Some are selling a second body to help finance something else. And furthermore, with all due respect, I don't care if everyone does sell their M8. I still get all warm and fuzzy when I pick mine up. :)

Daniel

Not me. I'm keeping mine regardless of rumors or real models. I've waited a long time to play with the many beautiful lenses on a digital RF camera, and I'm not ready to give it up for a several years.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am in the same boat as Bob. I still have my pair of M8's and love them as a travel set, so don't want to part with even one. However, IF I go high-end MF digital back, I will have to sell one M8 and probably all of my other large format equipment too to swing the entry price. Have not pulled the trigger yet though as it's a difficult decision -- actually leaning towards NOT going high-end MF right now due to the cost of admission...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well way to much money invested in it for one I was up to maybe 30k and the need for MF called for some real money so most of it had to be sold to reinvest in a camera that is better for my business. Fact of life. The M8 is a great machine no doubt but it got to be a more personal camera than a business tool for me. Things change for better or worse but you have to go with your needs sometimes.

vieri

I am selling one M8 body (see classified) for a reason different still: I went back to film around six months ago with a M6 to side my 2 M8s, loved the result and the process for all my street work and some portraiture/concert work as well, decided to go heavier on film than digital for my M kit, sold the M6, got an MP, and I am going to sell my backup M8 to get a second MP. Final M kit:
- 2 MP (different films in it, as in the old days for those who remember these);
- 1 M8, for digital and color work;
- CV15, 2.8/24 ASPH, 2/35 IV, 1.4/50 Lux ASPH (on its way out, looking for a non-ASPH or for a 2/50 Cron), Nocti, 1.4/75, 2/90.

On the DSLR side, I replaced my 2 D2x for a D3 - D300 setup. Lenses:
- 10.5 f2.8 Fish DX;
- 17-35 f2.8;
- 35 f2;
- 50 f1.4;
- 85 f1.4;
- 105 f2 DC;
- 105 F2.8 Micro VR;
- 180 f2.8;
- 70-200 VR;

Add to these an inherited Hasselblad kit (film only, 5 lenses, left me from my retired photographer uncle) and I am a very happy camper: best of all worlds. To have fun, I also have a Holga, a Pentacon Six kit (for sale) and a Yashica-Mat (which will never for sale if I have a say...).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The primary reason as always..the grass just looks greener over in MF land. (and for some applications it must be). Personally I have 3 M8s and I am keeping them all until I see an M9 ..because I enjoy street and travel photography. I always work with 2 M8 bodies ....and one just wouldn t work for the street. When you work a subject can you really change lenses? The 3rd M8 is a luxury as I don t want to be caught without 2. I use a D3 with all the zooms for sports ,action and flash . Of course the D3 is way better for low light ..but how do you feel about being out on the street at 10PM with a large DSLR? With that said the grass over in MF territory is pretty tempting as I still have my V series Hasselblad. The IQ is better and the offerings keep getting better. But for me MF will only be in addition to my M8s . One interesting by product of the shift to MF will be the impact on Leica s R10 ...my preference will be to spend the $20K the MF back would cost on 2 R10s and maybe a new AF short zoom. But then I am just wishing. :rolleyes:

tbarker13

I wouldn't read too much into the M8 sales. Photography is no different than other hobbies. People tend to hop around buying and selling, moving on to new or just different things. For many, that is just a huge element of the hobby itself.
It never surprises me to see this, particularly from someone who bought an M8 as their entry into rangefinder photography. They give it a shot, but later realize it just doesn't fit their shooting style. It's not for everyone.

woodyspedden

Well I am now in MF land although not with the hyper expensive backs. I have a Hassy V system with the CFV back and the files, in my opinion, are wondeful. Great color, adequate if not state of the art resolution, and all in all a great tool. Would I love to have 39 Mpx...........of course but at $34K entry price isn't going to happen for me. Maybe 22 Mpx at some point but not now.

However one of the ways i could finance the MF back is to sell my two M6's, the M8 and a basket full of lenses. That ain't going to happen either. Fact is that I travel a lot and I wont be carrying a hand held V system and even the D3 and some primes gets heavy and cumbersome over the period of a day. So the M8 and M6 which are really optimized for hand held travel activity will stay in my kit bag for as long as I can foresee.

I've said in this forum a number of times that there is no one system that gets it all done and for me this comes down to three systems. I have sold a couple of M lenses and will likely sell a few more as I bought many to see what really worked for me and now have that figured out. I never planned to keep all of them.

I also have too many Nikon lenses and when i figure out what I really will be doing with the system some of those lenses will go as well.

But I did the math and selling all these prized lenses, trading my CWD but keeping all the V series lenses for use on my 503 body will still leave me at least $5K short of an Aptus 75 which is the back i would love to own.

Sorry for long ramble but I think the issue is less about the M8 as it is about the strategy of owning equipment which allows you to practice your craft. In my case that includes the M8 as a permanent item. (Until an M9 makes it to the party)

Just my thoughts

Woody

PeterA

I am not selling my M8 and 3 lens kit OR my MP.

I have sold a very large collection of R lenses and a my DMR backs.
I have sold a very comprehensive Canon 1dsmk11 system.

These 2 sales have financed my H3D11-39 and a complete set of HC lenses and a Rollie Xact system which I am finalizing.

The D3 is sitting there on the shelf gathering dust - just like my Canon system used to. I am flying across the country this afternoon a mere 4000 miles. teh M8 and 3 lenses are in my carry on bag :)

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I'm not selling my M8's, I like the things too much, and they have never given me any grief, rather the contrary. The problem is that other kit seems to be assembling. R/DMR at the moment, in the future - who knows. I am behept with the squirrel syndrome I still have my original M3 - and a Digilux 2 which I hardly ever use - and an old Canon 400 and some lenses - and some Mamiya 654 stuff - and the rest of the dusty interior of my cupboard.... I only seem to sell stuf I buy back later:(

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So,
the premise "why is everyone selling their M8s" is disproved.
quod erat demonstrandum
-bob

M

Mango

Just bought one for wifey, a Black M8. She'll lend it to me from time to time, if I'm nice and there's a full moon. :)