The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why is everyone selling their M8?

dseelig

I am not selling mine. Would love a medium format digital kit,but I make money with my canons and cannot sell them. My leica is for street and a walk around camera and love the light weight. I got my system cheap and it is now complete lens wise wate 28 cron a 35 lux 50 lux 75 lux and a mate. I use them all. I simply shoot too little that medium format would make sense for. I widh I had the client base that would make for. So maybe in a year or two when p25 back goes for 4 grand. David

scott kirkpatrick

As I'm not printing large, I'm not attracted much to MF (well, I'd love to try, but owning doesn't grab me). And the type of landscape work that intrigues me (think Lee Friedlander's Olmsted book done mostly with a Hasselblad Superwide and anything by Carl Weese) is working pretty well with the M8. I got my second M8 body just in time, as the first one is now in Allendale with a shutter stuck after 9400 activations. ("drive blocked/shutter fault" and no visible damage -- it just didn't recock). Also shoot sometimes with an E-3 or a GR-D2, but neither of those breaks the bank.

scott

etrigan63

Keeping my M8 as well. Just sold my Canon kit to power the jump over to Nikon. Got a D300 and couldn't be happier with the combo.

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I too would not dream of selling my M8. There is for me nothing close to what the M8 offers. the size, the image quality, the sheer pleasure of using the camera etc. This is my first rangefinder and it just seemed to fit. I am not a pro so only have to please myself and that is what the M8 helps me do.

I had to send it to Solms once, and I really did miss it.

fotografz

My dream team includes a brace of M8s, 24/2,8ASPH, 28/2ASPH, 35/1.4ASPH, 50/1.4ASPH, 90AA & 90/2.8. I don't care if it gets used on a regular basis ... when the situation calls for a rangefinder, there is no substitute. I've had Ms most of my adult life, and can't imagine being without at least one. However, I am not as enamored of the M8 the way I was with the film Ms ... I miss the whole "cocking" and silent release experience. I might be one of the few that would go for the quieter shutter ... if Leica had someone other than their service department do the work ... :ROTFL:

These days the M does get challenged for personal work by a Nikon D300 with Zeiss 25/2.8, 28/2, 50/2Macro, 100/2Macro and soon to arrive Voit 180/4APO ... which, while not as small, is a pretty compact kit and much more versatile with Macros and a long lens. If Zeiss delivers their fabled 21/2.8 that'll be even better.

The major DSLR front is a mixed bag (D3 and Canon 1DsMKIII) ... I probably wouldn't own any if it were not for needing AF to shoot weddings. My one extravagance was the DMR/9 system which is all for sale now to fund the Nikon kit. I'm keeping the Canon for now with all the fast optics, and the Nikon for Zooms, 100 Macro & 200/2.

I didn't need to sell any M gear to fund Medium Format Digital ... that was a slow build over years with upgrades, and the patience to wait for promotions and deals. MFD is NOT an area to exercise impulse buying habits ;)

etrigan63

Hmm, looks like it takes a bayonet hood. Maybe you should check with Stephen Gandy over at CameraQuest. I buy all of my new CV lenses from him.

fotografz

Hmm, looks like it takes a bayonet hood. Maybe you should check with Stephen Gandy over at CameraQuest. I buy all of my new CV lenses from him.
Let me know what you find out on the bayonet hood. If it reverses for storage, that would be preferable.

D

Digital Dude

Well, I have one listed although it is merely circumstantial. I love the M8 as my favorite pet! Ok, my two wonderfully entertaining pups “Buffy & Boots” certainly have parity, but still.
Regards,:thumbup:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
who? i would gladly buy the second body if i had spare $5000.
There where several here..(two or three, I guess the title is a little apocalyptic :)) and a few have been moving to MF...
I bought a second body, you can find em for around $3,900.

robsteve

Subscriber
There where several here..(two or three, I guess the title is a little apocalyptic :)) and a few have been moving to MF...
I bought a second body, you can find em for around $3,900.
There have been two or three Nikon D3 sold off lately too. I think people have a photography budget and once they reach the limit of that budget, things need to be sold.