The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 - really as bad?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the chance to play around with the X1 yesterday in Seattle.

I was expecting a slow working thing of camera, especially AF. All I can say this thing rocks. I would say it is almost on par with the EP2 in terms of AF speed and low light functionality of the AF. Plus it feels so much better than any of the Panasonic, Olympus M43 lineup and of course also Sony NEX.

Now I am not talking about higher ISO performance which may be better depending which other semi-compact model you choose. But the X1 is really not as bad as one could assume reading lot of the frustrated blogs and posts around the net.

The reason I did not buy one is because I already have an EP2 and a NEX5 and I just do not want to get more toys in this segment.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I love the X1 so much, it reminded me of how much I used to love Leica (R4s and an M6 many years ago). So I went and blew a wad on an M9 and (so far) a 35 Lux ASPH and the Cron 75 mm ASPH...more to come.

But the X1 is the one in my pocket wherever I go. Yeah, it's a bit slow but you soon learn to compensate.

Bill

jonoslack

HI Peter
I quite agree - The X1 has a lot going for it (not least it's high ISO performance, which is splendid).

ashwinrao1

Yup, I have had the X1 for 6 months. I would not let it go, despite its warts...magical IQ, and it forces you to work within its limits, and your photography is rewarded for it.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Well, I have one and I must say I am not thrilled. The image quality is excellent to be sure but the AF is really slow, and i don't care for composing with my arms extended, and I also just can't get used to a viewfinder on such a small camera. I thought I would use it as a backup to my M9 but have retreated to a used M8 for that. I find the Ms faster and more intuitive and more versatile. I still have the X1 and I still think it is a very good camera for what it is. I haven't given up and will keep trying it from time to time (especially for when a trip is short and photos more likely to be snaps and want to go really light). But I will choose an M whenever I can.

Paratom

I really like the x1 and use it more than m4/3.
User interface is great, and IQ is very good. And its lighter and more quiet than m4/3.
However I can not agree about AF Peter-E-P2 is much faster.
One thing I like with the x1 AF however is spot AF with a small area-good for knowing where you exactly focus. I find the focus point size of the E_P2 too large (or maybe I didnt find the option to make it small?)
Anyways-for me x1 great camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I have one and I must say I am not thrilled. The image quality is excellent to be sure but the AF is really slow, and i don't care for composing with my arms extended, and I also just can't get used to a viewfinder on such a small camera. I thought I would use it as a backup to my M9 but have retreated to a used M8 for that. I find the Ms faster and more intuitive and more versatile. I still have the X1 and I still think it is a very good camera for what it is. I haven't given up and will keep trying it from time to time (especially for when a trip is short and photos more likely to be snaps and want to go really light). But I will choose an M whenever I can.
As I was using an M8 for 2 years before I sold it and other M cameras for at least 25 years I completely understand your point - an M camera is a totally different beast - and I LOVE LEICA M's!!!

Having said this the reason I am looking for cameras like M43, NEX or the X1 is, that these are more compact than the M's and usually a bit faster (AF) and give you similar or better high ISO while allowing to shoot in RAW. I am a 100% Raw shooter. Meanwhile I own the EP2 and the NEX5 and I cannot decide which one I like more, they both produce excellent results for what I am looking after. I also should say that I am not using any adapted lenses on them, as I hat manipulating around in MF, so I use only kit lenses and the standard primes 17mm or 16mm respectively.

Now end of the day I for sure know the Leica look and I never can get this with any of the M43 or NEX or other cameras. And I like how the X1 feels when you touch it .... man I think I have already fallen in love :D this will cost me money again :deadhorse:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really like the x1 and use it more than m4/3.
User interface is great, and IQ is very good. And its lighter and more quiet than m4/3.
However I can not agree about AF Peter-E-P2 is much faster.
One thing I like with the x1 AF however is spot AF with a small area-good for knowing where you exactly focus. I find the focus point size of the E_P2 too large (or maybe I didnt find the option to make it small?)
Anyways-for me x1 great camera.
Hm, maybe I am using the wrong AF configuration on the EP2? I of course did not do any scientific comparisons, but at least inside the store where I tried the X1 there was pretty bad light and lot of dark areas and the AF focused fast and accurate. So for my style I would say it is ok - I am not looking to use the X1 for AF dynamic shooting of moving objects anyway, there I would set it to MF and dial in the distance before I shoot. Or most cases also spot AF.