The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

what lens setting for summaron 35?

danlindberg

In manual mode my old, goggled, Summaron 35/2.8 is not listed. What is the best setting on the M9 for this lens?

Knorp

In manual mode my old, goggled, Summaron 35/2.8 is not listed. What is the best setting on the M9 for this lens?
Hi Dan,

Can't say what the best setting is, intuatively I set my non-goggled summaron 35/2.8 as a non-asph summicron '35 f/2 11310/11311'. It seems to work fine.

Kind regards.

danlindberg

I'll try that one then :)
But I suppose it is not as-good-as-it-gets since it clearly is a setting for another lens.

Thanks Knorp!

E

Eisemann

I have used the coding for the Summarit M 35 f/2.5. Works well. 101011

ashwinrao1

Agreed...summarit code works well for me...suspect that the summicron pre-asph code would do well as well...

Knorp

True ... on paper the 2.5 summarit matches the 2.8 summaron best, but like the summaron the summarit isn't in the menu either and honestly I can't be bothered anymore going the sharpie route.
So the non-asph summicron will do just fine for me ... ;)

Kind regards.

danlindberg

Unfortunately I did not have time to try it today, but I had a look in the menu right now and the summarit 2.5 is not there? I have 1.4 and 2.0 in non-asph and asph. But no 2.5. Is this correct?

Knorp

Unfortunately I did not have time to try it today, but I had a look in the menu right now and the summarit 2.5 is not there? I have 1.4 and 2.0 in non-asph and asph. But no 2.5. Is this correct?
Sorry Dan, there are no summarits in the menu as they all came 6-bit coded. Ashwin and Eisemann are referring to hand-coding the lens, f.i. with a marker (e.g sharpie).
Don't worry about it, IMO the non-asph summicron option really works fine. Of course you'd rather have the proper lens information in the exif-data, but most importantly you wouldn't like to have a color cast in your images :lecture:

Kind regards.

danlindberg

Wow....I'm pretty amazed of what a very old lens can produce! I have only shot one image in my livingroom to try it out, but felt I must share with you. I believe my lens is made -59.

I actually left lens detection on automatic. Put the camera on a tripod, selftimer, 160iso, 2 sec exposure, f8. In raw only white balance fix, no sharpening at all....

A 100% crop. Note that there is no (nothing at all) CA to be found even if provoked with backlit leaves and windows edges. This totally blows me away!

The focus is set on the bowl in front, but at f8 I can not even tell looking at the bowl or the leaves.