The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Warranty Question

ShiroKuro

There is second hand M8 unregistered with an unfilled warranty card ,the camera is over a year old.
This M8 is a trade in towards an M9 and being resold by the original Leica dealer which the camera was purchased from .
If I bought this camera would it have the 2 year warranty and still be eligible for the 2 free filters ?
On a new M8/M9 purchase why would one register the camera right a way and not wait ?

Just want to be clear on this as I am thinking about buying this camera .... The shutter buckled on my M8 so needs to go in for a repair and was thinking about picking this one up to use as a second body or just until my camera gets repaired .... any input on this would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks

cam

the key, i think, is if it has been registered online or not.

if it has (and it probably was), you're out of luck. if it hasn't and you're the first to register the serial number, you should be eligible for the two free filters. the length of time for the warranty, however, would probably be dependent on the original sale.

you should see if the dealer can find out if the camera has been registered online.

ShiroKuro

Thanks Cam ... I will see if the dealer can be more clear ....I was told it is covered for 2 years from the time the camera is registered .... If that is the case what is the advantage to registering a camera ... why not just wait indefinitely or until the camera needs to be serviced ?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Cam ... I will see if the dealer can be more clear ....I was told it is covered for 2 years from the time the camera is registered .... If that is the case what is the advantage to registering a camera ... why not just wait indefinitely or until the camera needs to be serviced ?
I always understood that the warranty started on the original purchase date. The dealer should be able to answer your questions. If he is telling you that it is covered for 2 years, I would ask for something in writing from him on your receipt.

N

nex100

If a M8 is registered previously how can we check on the date of registration? Is there a website to do so? Or do we have to mail Leica to check on it?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

In most warranty situations you will have to submit the original bill of sale with the claim. It's the date on it that will determine when the warranty commenced.
Bill

ShiroKuro

What Bill is saying makes the most sense to me.....
I just got back from the dealer where they insisted there would be a two year warranty,and offered me a refund if this turned out not to be the case or they would honor the two year warranty should anything go wrong with the camera .... The reason I am asking is that the price of the camera reflects that there is two year warranty so it is a bit more than the going price for a second hand M8.....

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Charles

ramosa

I always understood that the warranty started on the original purchase date. The dealer should be able to answer your questions. If he is telling you that it is covered for 2 years, I would ask for something in writing from him on your receipt.
i agree with this perspective. i do NOT think a Leica M comes with any warranty beyond two years of the original sale date of the camera. otherwise, we could simply hold on to our warranty cards and not mail them in until we had a problem ;)

barjohn

In the USA, the warranty commences with the bill of sale date. No registration is required. Most people register for other benefits such as being notified on a recall or receiving updates or some vendors provide an inducement (some free item for registering). Some dealers have a contract with Leica that allows them to offer a 1 year warranty for demo equipment sold at a discount and may have a deal whereby they can purchase an extended warranty from Leica; however, I would insist on a warranty in writing from the dealer stating that as an authorized Leica dealer and agent for Leica he was warranting the camera for 2 years from your date of purchase not withstanding whether the camera had been previously sold or registered to another owner. Further, in the event that Leica should fail to honor the warranty he (the company) would be liable for all charges incurred whether or not Leica reimbursed him or not and that said warranty was identical to the Leica original warranty in all respects.

Good luck. Sorry for getting a little legalese on you.

ShiroKuro

Thanks John ,
It's good to know this sort information .. this thread was helpful ,as it seem this salesperson was mis informed in regards to this particular M8 .....
Ramosa ... thought the same thing .... I brought up all these possibilities and the guy behind the counter insisted there would be a 2 year warranty ..... just sounded wrong
Thanks

John Black

As for Leica NJ - the key is their database. If everything looks as expected on their screen, the repairs breeze through. If something doesn't look right - you need all the proper documentation.

Before buying this camera, I would call Leica NJ and confirm this is an unregistered camera. Explain that the dealer is offering the camera as having a full two-year Leica warranty and you just want to verify this. They should ask for the serial number.

Obviously there is some gray area when it comes to morals & ethics, and I'm surprised a dealer is putting themselves that far out there. To keep things honest, have them specify on the bill of sale - "2 year in-store warranty" and negotiate the price accordingly.

Then you can try to register the camera, and if you get the filters, chalk that up to a bonus. And if that works, then you'll also be the official registered own in Leica's database, so that would be another "win". Given that this is a used M8, any subsequent free filters and/or official Leica warranty coverage (IMO) is just a lucky upside.