Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leica 24 Elmarit vs 28 Cron

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 24 Elmarit vs 28 Cron

I've owned the 24 for a while now and consider it an outstanding lens. For no particularly good reason I've decided to buy the 28 Cron and see if I like it better. I'd guess few folks keep both these lenses in their kit and was wondering which you prefer and why. As I've mentioned in another thread, I haven't had much luck shooting wide open with the luxes (which was my initial motivation in getting into the M system). This is mostly my fault (can't see well enough to focus in low light) but also in part because the lenses back-focused and I've lost confidence in (or maybe patience with) Leica to adjust them properly. Appreciate any comments that might help in my never ending quest to fall in love with this system

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica 24 Elmarit vs 28 Cron

David the 24mm is a extremely sharp lens and has a lot of contrast but the 28 cron seems to have more look to it and is smoother toned. If i had to pick between them than the cron would be it. I like the focal length better on the M8 . But both lenses are best in class
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    I find the 24 ideal for close-in street and I usually pack it for Europe or Asia, but the 28 is the lens cap on my wide body most of the time.
    I also find the 24 is useful for hand held pano stitches which it does better then the 21, of course the 50 does better still, but I don't have the patience.
    The 50 lux has earned its place on my long body.
    -bob

Digital Dude

I had the 28 and now, the 24. They are soOoo very different in the way they draw, that owning both (aside from costs) is easily justified. I miss the 28-cron but not quite enough to give up my silver 24-Elmarit. The differences are truly dramatic!
    Regards,
    Last edited by Digital Dude; 30th May 2008 at 06:42.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great... Bob has both, that figures since he's got two bodies. Well, off to Dale Labs with wallet in hand. Thanks for the responses... just waiting for someone to tell me that I need a second body, then I can just shoot myself

Digital Dude

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Great... Bob has both, that figures since he's got two bodies. Well, off to Dale Labs with wallet in hand. Thanks for the responses... just waiting for someone to tell me that I need a second body, then I can just shoot myself
    Good luck and enjoy! BTW: I sent you a PM ~
    Regards,

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

David,

I am still going through the same question. I sold my 21 as it never got much use. Currently, I have the 28 Cron ASPH, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, and 90 Elmarit.

On my M7, I use the 35, 50, 90 combo and don't like the 28. (Actually had Leica NJ change all the framelines to just 35/50/90)

On the M8, I use the 28, 50, 90 combo. However since I love shooting the 50 focal length, when I just take an M8 and one lens it is always the 35.

For what I now use the M8, I really don't want a larger kit than just 3 or 4 lenses. This is driving me to consider the 24 over the 28, which should be a nice jump in focal length for use on both the M8 and M7.

Now my problem is that they draw differently and both have situations in which I prefer them. I wear glasses and the 28 is easier to see on the M8 than the 24.

I still have a loaner 24 to compare to my 28, so I guess that I need to get out this weekend and shoot them in real situations some more to make a decision.

I'd love to hear what you decide and why.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey I'm always in for a present. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never liked the 28mm focal length on my M6's, so I dont currently own one. However the 24mm always was the perfect complement to a 35mm lens for film work.

Now that I have a M8 the 24 ASPH is an even better fit, and a very usable focal length on the cropped sensor.

On either film or digital the 24 ASPH, is truly a Leica classic, the image quality never ceases to amaze me.
    Last edited by Seascape; 30th May 2008 at 10:09.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the 24 and the 28C but my favorite lens on the M8 is the 21ASPH. Not because of how it renders but because its the perfect FOV for street work. Its as wide as you can go and not have problems with distortion(the old 28mm equivalent). I shoot quite a lot of my street work form the waist level (hyperfocal on a predefined spot) ..for this you generally need the 21 to keep from cutting off heads,feet etc. I tried this with the 24 and it just wasn t as easy (although you should be able to adjust so its probably me). So I start with the 21 and then generally go to the 35 on the other body. The 24 works if I want to start with the 18 or the WATE . The 28 is a good choice for evening shooting. So its a 28/2 and a fast 50 at night. The 24 and the 28 are really different ...the 24 is razor sharp and contasty like the 50Asph ..the 28 also has excellent sharpness ,slightly less contrast and smooth bokeh. As always its depends on your intended useage.....for people in color the 28cron wins , for travel the 24 because images jump off the page and the 21 for street . Yes you need a 2nd M8! LOL Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been through them all too, and here is my final take:

My three favorite focals on the M8 are the 21, 28 and 50. The 28 and 50 are my regular "body caps" for my two bodies -- and yes David, you really should TWO of them for serious street use as you can never swap lenses as fast as you need to. Sorry, but that's the way it is (). Depending on the situation or how I feel, I may replace the 28 with the 21 for a wider street perspective -- totally agree with Roger here!

While the 24 is an awesome optic, I feel it is somewhat clinical in it's rendering (a great thing if you like that) and as has been said, a different look than the 21 and 28; different juice. In the end, I usually found the 24 either too wide or not wide enough, and with the looks being more similar, preferred the 21/28 combo instead. Though I would not argue against anybody preferring the 24/35 (it and the 35 Cron Asph share similar renderings IMO)... Heck, if you can justify owning them all, more power to you, but I'd for sure opt for a second M8 body over two additional "tweener" optics.

My .02,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I picked up the 28 Cron from David at Dale and I think I'm in love... with the lens of course I guess which lens you prefer also has something to do with what you like to shoot. Stopped by the beach after my visit to Dale and elbowed my way into my friend Andre's shoot. Shot a bunch with the Hy6 and some lights and then decided to try out my new lens. I am very pleased to say that focus is dead on with this lens wide open, a major consideration for me... although I believe the attached shot was stopped down to f/5.6.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know... I know... this is not what this lens is for and these images probably have no place on the Leica M forum, but it's nice to know you can use it for this in a pinch BTW, this one was shot wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

Its dangerous to hang out here! I ve used 2 M bodies since I first got into the system . I would agree with jack I would sell lenses to get a 2nd body. It changes the way you use the system and actually makes using all your lenses practical. I think about every shoot and try to pick 3 or 4 lenses that should work . Two on the bodies and one in each pocket of my vest . On a longer trip I take 6 or 7 lenses ...but only carry 4 at a time. The big change for me will come if they introduce new wide primes at fotokina...an 18/3.4 or a 24/2 would get my attention. how long can you hold you breath!

Post Thanks / Like

David I think you stumbled upon something....its the subject thats important.

Digital Dude

Well Dave, these photos really make me miss my 28-cron to a point of extreme illness. The rendering and balance is remarkable. What on earth was I thinking when I sold it? Granted, it’s a bit unfair since this subject could just about make any lens look great, but still.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Well in terms of 2 bodies there is an alternative get a mate. That has become my body cap in outdoor light. David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    When I first bought my M8 and was having lens angst both Guy and Jack gently (LOL ) guided me to the 28 cron. It lives on one body.
    At that point i only had one body but after spending on the 28 cron everthing but the Noctilux seems either cheap or reasonably priced. So, I fell off the M cliff and bought a second body. The 50 lux lives on this one.
    I've been considering going back to one body but this thread is helping me change my mind and possibly pare back lenses instead...although I don't want to do that until after Photokina.

Glad the focusing worked out. Enjoy it! But buy a second body
    Last edited by Terry; 30th May 2008 at 19:22.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the good advice and kind words but a second body is simply out of the question for me. The MF vampires have sunk their teeth into my wallet and won't let go. I've come late to the 28 cron party but this one's a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No offense David, but I believe this particular model could make any lens look good. However, the 28 Cron does a great job here and complements the model well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    David,
    When I first bought my M8 and was having lens angst both Guy and Jack gently (LOL ) guided me to the 28 cron. It lives on one body.
    At that point i only had one body but after spending on the 28 cron everthing but the Noctilux seems either cheap or reasonably priced. So, I fell off the M cliff and bought a second body. The 50 lux lives on this one.
    I've been considering going back to one body but this thread is helping me change my mind and possibly pare back lenses instead...although I don't want to do that until after Photokina.

Nothing gentle about it , this is the best lens they make in my book.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    No offense David, but I believe this particular model could make any lens look good. However, the 28 Cron does a great job here and complements the model well.
    Mark,
    No offense taken and you couldn't be more right about the model... first time shooting with her and she's a real pro. Kidding aside, this is obviously not what I plan on shooting with the M8/28 Cron... Nikon, Canon, MF or even the DMR are better for this kind of work but I think this combo more than held it's own.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,

Terry,
    Guy and Jack encouraged me to go for it too. A second body is a non starter for me. I doubt my wife can spot the difference between the 28 Cron and the Elmarit but there'd be no way to hide a second body, especially a chrome one with a brown Luigi case, (which is what I'd love to have) that you're carrying at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Well if you get different colored cameras to go with different outfits she would understand.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,
    Guy and Jack encouraged me to go for it too. A second body is a non starter for me. I doubt my wife can spot the difference between the 28 Cron and the Elmarit but there'd be no way to hide a second body, especially a chrome one with a brown Luigi case, (which is what I'd love to have) that you're carrying at the same time.
    Hi David,
    just goofing around with you! That being said, the chrome with the Luigi case (thank you Woody) is a very visually attractive combo.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    David,
    Well if you get different colored cameras to go with different outfits she would understand.
    -bob
    You may be onto something here... how about a matching Luigi case and shoe ensemble

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David,
    just goofing around with you! That being said, the chrome with the Luigi case (thank you Woody) is a very visually attractive combo.
    Exactly the one I was thinking of... it may not be stealth, but it's a classy looking combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David: Just factor in the overhead for a spree at Prada and you should be fine.

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Jack,
    and in practical terms, I have found this or some equivalent to be true.
    -bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    David: Just factor in the overhead for a spree at Prada and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You may be onto something here... how about a matching Luigi case and shoe ensemble

David,
    Just send Luigi one of your local alligators.
    I am sure that he can make a case and matching shoes for both of you.
    Also, please stay away from Woody's yellow Hassy, yellow is so not your color
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Prada should be a four letter word... I guess if you only count the "a" once, it is. Now that I think about it, that works for Gucci too Read an interesting article in the NY Times that "normal" clothing is actually about 10% cheaper than it was in 1998 (adjusted for inflation) while "luxury" brands have gone thru the roof. A quote: "Thursday Styles ran a 10-year comparative price check for, the highest gain, 104 percent, was for the Speedy bag, followed by a $1,900 Lady Dior bag (73 percent higher) and a $325 Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress (71 percent higher)." I wonder where Leica lenses would wind up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    David,
    Just send Luigi one of your local alligators.
    I am sure that he can make a case and matching shoes for both of you.
    Also, please stay away from Woody's yellow Hassy, yellow is so not your color
    -bob
    Bob

How can you possibly knock something as subtle as canary yellow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, all you need is a matching color Corvette and you are set!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

The true measure of a man s creativity is the extent he will go to justify his toys! I grew up with a pro ..my dad..he is 88 and yesterday he said he needed a new car that gets better mileage(and Mom drives the Avalon about 1000 miles a year) . I could come up with 10 bullet proof excuses in about 5 minutes. For example, I got this in a trade for some of the stuff I wasn t using ?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went shooting all day yesterday with the M8 and the 24 plus the 28.

Wearing glasses, I decided the 24 was just to difficult for me on the M8. Looking at the files again, I agree with the others. I just like how the 28 draws better.

It is not a focal length that I use on the M7, but it wins out.

My kit is now the M8 with 28/50/90 or for a single lens then the M8 & 35. The M7 is the 35/50/90. The confusion in my head is now gone.

For me the second body is not really an option either, as this is my light kit. The other restricting item is that I just sold all of my Nikon gear and am moving to MF for the second camera set. That is an even more slippery slope than Leica.

No matter how creative you get with justifying the new gear, you always do end up paying the spouse with something. Why is it that women are clothes / furniture nuts and guys are gear nuts? Sometimes, I'm not sure which is the more expensive.

David - Glad you are happy with 28 Cron.

Best,

Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Bob

How can you possibly knock something as subtle as canary yellow?
    Woody,
    May not be subtle but it's got other things going for it. It would be a great choice to sling over your back while riding a bicycle at night so you don't get sideswiped by inattentive motorists. (Maybe not so good to shoot with during the yellow-jacket mating season.) Walk up to the valet with that camera in your hand and tell him you lost the ticket to your yellow Ferrari... who could doubt you. There are those who think the Beatles' song Yellow Submarine was inspired by a photographer who used that camera to shoot an album cover. Endless possibilities

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Why is it that women are clothes / furniture nuts and guys are gear nuts? Sometimes, I'm not sure which is the more expensive.
    Take a walk down Madison Avenue in NYC and tell me how many camera stores you see there. No doubt in my mind which sex wins the spending war

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went looking for some shots that I took with the 24 and found this one. My wife, Marcie and my son, Zachary at a brokers' open house... Nothing to complain about with the IQ from this lens either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Woody, all you need is a matching color Corvette and you are set!
    Hey Jack

When in Germany this summer with Porsche/Leica (and of course Guy!) Phyllis and I drove the canary yellow Cayman and absolutely loved it. Surprisingly I thought it was much more fun to drive than the Carrera 4! Go figure

Woody

Digital Dude

Clinical or not, when I’m shooting more than one person in a group, I prefer the 24-Elmarit. Dave's photo does well to illustrate my preference. Of course, I have no doubt that I will own another 28 for those warmer shots that I truly miss.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Digital Dude; 31st May 2008 at 12:27.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's Woody with his Canary yellow Cayman S. Very subtle indeed!
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Then... somehow Christian stole it.
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i got to try out the 28 Cron today and it really is an astonishing lens! beautifully sharp but not clinically so, and creamy beyond belief. truly gorgeous, gorgeous lens!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i got to try out the 28 Cron today and it really is an astonishing lens! beautifully sharp but not clinically so, and creamy beyond belief. truly gorgeous, gorgeous lens!
    Cam, Cam, Cam oh what a long way you've come in a very short few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam, Cam, Cam oh what a long way you've come in a very short few weeks.
    i'm deeply in trouble, aren't i???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Deeply!!! Very deeply!!!!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody looks like a movie star in that Porsche...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Would you like a sled to go down the slope

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Would you like a sled to go down the slope
    like i need any help

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody looks like a movie star in that Porsche...
    Woody wore that smile the whole time he was driving the Porsches. Here is a shot of Woody in action.