The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting technique

P

Photon

How many of you:

- wait for the moment, adjust and push the button?

- anticipate in advance by zone focussing?

- choose easy settings where 'the score' could be high?

- compose carefully and takes his/her time?

- 'just' walk around and jump in? In this case, how do you prepare?

- change lenses while shooting or just stick to the one you've mounted?

O my, this very well could be not just one thread...:eek:

Warmest,

Ton

www.tonvanmourik.com

d_brown

All of the above. It depends on the situation and which will provide the best chance of achieving the desired result.

Dale

m_driscoll

How many of you:

1- wait for the moment, adjust and push the button?

2- anticipate in advance by zone focussing?

3- choose easy settings where 'the score' could be high?

4- compose carefully and takes his/her time?

5- 'just' walk around and jump in? In this case, how do you prepare?

6- change lenses while shooting or just stick to the one you've mounted?

O my, this very well could be not just one thread...:eek:

Warmest,

Ton

www.tonvanmourik.com
Ton: I probably do all of them except #3 (probably get more "keepers if i did this, but, usually shooting wide-open) and #6 (M9 and one lens; I don't like to carry a camera bag). For #5, I usually do #2 at a set distance to give me a head start.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jsf

It always depends on the situation. For somethings,when I can anticipate a picture developing, I will zone focus and in the film days set everything manually, now I let the camera work automatically if the light is consistent, otherwise I go to manual. All but one of my lenses are manual. Unless it was a job, I rarely work fast, and even then I was generally a think about it first and then set up the gear second kind of photographer. Large format and especially tripod set ups are rarely quick, at least with me. Even now in my dotage, I use a tripod about a third of the time and even when I don't I am not a big number shooter. I would rather get the one picture rather than shoot a bunch and then delete. Everyone has their own successful style, they are all different and all about equal judging from the results. Joe

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Agree. I think when you think too much about the technique you are "supposed" to use, you will lose your ability to make a good image. I have done all the things on your list but not at the same time and not necessarily thinking about it very much. There is an old baseball adage, "see the ball, hit the ball" which means don't think too much when at bat. Maybe ir can be adapted to "see the photo, take the photo". Now this doesn't mean you don't have an idea of what you are looking for, and have your gear ready, but it does mean you go with the flow.

kweide

Dont think too much, act ! And be prepared to change everything, you have to agree to be the change otherwise you are lost in the moment and return home without any picture...

Klaus

Godfrey

How many of you:

All of these notions can be reduced to

- know the equipment well
- be ready
- keep watching for when to shoot and what's happening around you
- make changes as needed to stay ready
- dont get distracted

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I don't like zone focussing. I prefocus to where I expect the action and use a "tap to the left, tap to the right" follow focus technique, combined with releasing the shutter at focus coincidence.

gero

I don't like zone focussing. I prefocus to where I expect the action and use a "tap to the left, tap to the right" follow focus technique, combined with releasing the shutter at focus coincidence.

I use this a lot too, I even use focus distance separate from the subject just by feel (or I rather think of the entire)

Last edited:

proenca

Hi Ton,

very very regulary use this.. makes me feel a bit like a small HCB :) Honestly, the M9 neither the M8 are speed deamons but thats also a good thing : makes me anticipate and wait for the right moment.

a lot : used for almost two years a CV15 so I got used a LOT to zone focusing and today I still use it a lot ( sold the CV though )

huh ?

well, try to :)

not really, not fan of DOING street shooting and jumping into people faces... love to see it , but dont have the guts to do it - well often that is.

really depends... if I see the situation is going to evolve in few seconds, no point in changing lens... nonetheless, I keep my lens selection limited : a WATE and a NOCTILUX ...

J

JohnW

I assume you mean street-style shooting. Since I got a GF1, I'm surprised to find my confidence in the "easy settings" growing. I contemplate another M8 and even an M9, but I think I'm getting spoiled. It's heresy, I know, but it seems to allow me to focus more on seeing. I might even (gasp!) try the "P" setting soon.

John