The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 firmware V2.0

bbodine9

The following was posted by an X1 owner on dpreview regarding the X1 firmware, thought there might be interest here.

The Post:

Yes, it's true. There's a beta version of the new firmware out.

I took the Leica X1 Workshop in San Francisco last weekend where the Leica rep had and X1 with the 2.0 software on it.

I was able to play with it for a few minutes and drill the Rep about what was coming, along with some suggestions.

The biggest improvement is the auto focus. I did about 20 test shots with my X1 in one hand and his v2.0 in the other. The v2.0 eight times out of ten focused almost twice as fast as v1.0.
A great improvement no doubt.

In v2.0 the manual focus is also improved, they increased the size of the focus scale or bar in the display to nearly fill the display along the bottom, and it now shows the size of the DOF by making the solid green bar that moves change in size with the aperture.
Anyways, the whole manual focus software seemed to just work easier.

They did not make the lens retract immediately upon power down.

No PNG only option. Though when asked I was answered with a suggestion that the camera needed the JPG for the review/preview and it was not likely change. "but I'm not an engineer"....

I was explained that this was just a Beta test and all changes were not implemented yet....

I was told we should see v2.0 in 6-8 weeks.

Paratom

a Leica told me allready back in summer that there was a new firmware with improved AF in work.
Now it is November. I just dont understand why Leica lets their customers ait for soo long. Still I am glad to hear that the AF improvement seems to be there.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
a Leica told me allready back in summer that there was a new firmware with improved AF in work.
Now it is November. I just dont understand why Leica lets their customers ait for soo long. Still I am glad to hear that the AF improvement seems to be there.
:) Leica was never fast with new releases - especially FW releases ;) but with the AF improvement the X1 becomes pretty interesting for me!

tom in mpls

Now I am wondering with improved AF and MF how this camera will compare to the Fuji X100. How can one compare to a camera that isn't available yet I don't really know.

ashwinrao1

I am excited about improved AF, if that's the case. I certainly expect that the X1 will be even more useable...I am quite satisfied with mine, now 7 months into ownership!