Site Sponsors

Thread: What version 35/1.4 Summilux

Post Thanks / Like

What version 35/1.4 Summilux

Serial number: 3570628

Could anyone advice on how old, what version and optical pros & cons of this lens. It would be used with a M9.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What version 35/1.4 Summilux

It is a pre-aspherical built in 1991.
    This is a lens that either you love or you hate, it is a matter of personal taste; compared with the most recent production of aspherical Summiluxes it is definitely less sharp, in particular in the corners, and has less contrast, but the bokeh is simply wonderful.
    I have it and I have also the current aspherical version: I will keep both.
    Cheers,
    Ario

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Thanks for info.

I am a sharpness freak so I will think long and hard before buying. I can buy a brandnew 35 summarit for less and maybe that is a better choice for me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for info.

I am a sharpness freak so I will think long and hard before buying. I can buy a brandnew 35 summarit for less and maybe that is a better choice for me...
    I would rather look for a good second hand Summicron instead or for a Zeiss Biogon.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this era, it is a late v2, low to no focus shift, nor distortion, and no infinity lock on the tab. Great lens!
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's not love OR hate, as Ario suggested; it's love/hate at the same time.

Negative: It's prone to unpredictable flaring – a certain angle of light from the side, outside the frame – that can destroy the whole image. In this respect it's not fully reliable, but you can look at the LCD to see if you got the shot or not.

Positive: Its famous 'Leica glow' (see #1 below; first 2 pix are wide open, 3d @ f2.4). The glow is a kind of aberration at widest aperture that can be quite beautiful. Even more flattering to people than to exercise balls. Soft at wide apertures, but turns into a normal lens, rather like a Summicron v4, by f4 or so.

The thumbnails look contrasty, but that's not the lens; it's gentle – low contrast, fairly low saturation. Open the images, & the contrast is more like a print would be.

Kirk

PS: I advertised my copy for sale a week ago, but nobody bought it. And in retrospect I'm glad they didn't, because I have a new version arriving soon & I'm afraid it'll look too 'clinical' to me.
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 21st November 2010 at 12:04. Reason: PS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for very useful information!

I like the purple ball a lot

However, I am going to save up for the latest 35 cron. That's probably the longterm best solution for me.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, aren't those two the proprietors of Franchino's???

Post Thanks / Like

Yes – Frank & Giuseppina/Josephine!

Kirk
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 8th December 2010 at 20:05.

01af

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I am a sharpness freak so I will think long and hard before buying. I can buy a brandnew Summarit 35 mm for less and maybe that is a better choice for me ...
    If you don't insist in Summilux speed then the Summarit-M 35 mm 1:2.5 definitely is a very good choice. I got mine as a cheap stop-gap while waiting for a Summilux and planned to get rid of it as soon as the Summilux arrives. But boy, this little sucker has grown on me in no time ... and I am a sharpness freak, too! This lens leaves nothing to be desired—with the possible exception of lens speed, of course, depending on your requirements. Its particular strengths are small size, unobtrusive look (makes an M9 look like grandpa's point-and-shoot), very beautiful bokeh, and—last not least—extremely low flare in backlight situations. In terms of sharpness, it's just as good as any other current Leica M 35 mm lens.

I definitely will keep mine.