The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hello and Question(s) about the M8

Terry

What I wonder is how often people use the CV lenses after getting a Leica lens? I can see it when the CV lens is a 15mm or 21mm and the other Leica lenses are 24mm and up.

In your case Terry, I bet you will use the 28mm Cron before going to the 35mm CV. In other words, the money spent on the 35mm CV was a waste unless you use it or sell it. The point I was trying to make in the first post is that buying CV or Zeiss lenses just costs you more money rather than saves you money.

Robert
Yes, particularly with the new Summarits I agree if you have the budget go for it.

But, at the same it is scary at just how much I have now spent on my "kit" when you add batteries, handgrip, 1.25x, and other assorted must haves. :eek::eek::eek: The cost of the CV35 is only $210 which I think is less than the grip!

Maggie O

I don't know, my 35mm Ultron has a wonderful look, all its own, and I imagine I'd go to it even if I had a Leica lens. Horses for courses, wot?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
First: Holy Cow!

Second: I have some reading to do.

Third: Thank you for your patience and your thoughtful replies. This level of interest and enthusiasm shows how passionate you all are about Leica and the M8 in particular. I only hope I can return the favor some day. After I concentrate on the replies to date and absorb the info therein, I'll be back.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I just don't see any Leica lens which could replace the CV 28/3.5. It's sharpness is amazing and so compact. It makes the M8 almost as pocketable as a IIIG with the collapsible Summicron.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

I'l second that. It really is a fantastic lens.
I don't know about that. I find the Leica 28 cron to be an outrageously sharp lens with a wonderful look to the images. OOF areas are great although that is not so important at 28mm. Plus it is two stops faster. Got to see it and use it before rendering judgement IMO. YMMV By the way I am not rendering judgement about the CV 28 as I have never used it

Woody

Maggie O

I don't know about that. I find the Leica 28 cron to be an outrageously sharp lens with a wonderful look to the images. OOF areas are great although that is not so important at 28mm. Plus it is two stops faster. Got to see it and use it before rendering judgement IMO. YMMV By the way I am not rendering judgement about the CV 28 as I have never used it

Woody
Well, just because another lens is also fantastic, that doesn't mean that other lenses can't be fantastic, too. The CV's combination of drawing, size and price make it pretty wonderful.

In my ideal world, I'd have a full stable of Leica and CV and Zeiss glass.

S

Shootist

Like you I started with Photography in the late 60's and into the 70's with various cameras but once I got my hands on a Leica M3, in 1972, nothing else worked for me. Fast forward to the middle 90's, without owning any camera from the middle 70's (Stolen and never replaced), and a desire to get back into photography.
I bought a cheap Pentax film camera and maybe shot 3 or 4 rolls of film through it. It then sat in a closet and is still there. Early 2000's I bought a Canon P&S Digital and really liked it but it just didn't give me what I was looking for.
In early 2005 I decided to buy a good camera and I first looked for a Leica. Nothing was really available in digital, at least nothing I wanted, from Leica so since I had used and like Nikon way back when I bought a D200 and various lenses, some good some cheap (sold the cheap stuff and kept the good stuff). But the D200 wasn't really cutting it for me. I then bought a used M3, actually at one time I had 4 of them, and 3 lenses, all used. Then I heard that Leica was coming out with a Digital M. Well I couldn't wait. I even thought about ordering one before they were even released. Then the problems with the M8 started to flood the internet forums right after it was release so I held off as long as I could. Once Leica came up with a fix and recalled all shipped cameras, whether they were in users hands or on store shelves, I said now is the time. That was in January 2006. I couldn't be more happy. It is just a pleasure to use and goes everywhere with me.
I now have 2 bodies and lenses from 21mm to 135mm, soon there will be a 18mm in my list of lenses.
All but one of my lenses are Leitz/Leica lenses the one that isn't is a CV 21mm f/4 Skopar M-Mount version. It is a great lens, especial for what it costs.
Good luck with whatever you decided.
Here are 2 versions of a image I shot today with the M8 and CV 21mm hand held @ f/4 1/60 ISO 640. First one is what came out of the camera and the second is PP through ACR & Photoshop CS3.
View attachment 598

View attachment 599

jonoslack

On the whole Leica versus third party lenses, I think you are better off just getting the Leica lens unless it is a focal length you will not be using much.

Some people start off with the third party lenses and then the Leica bug hits and they have to have the best, a Leica lens. If you just buy the Leica lens to begin with you avoid the extra expense of the third party lens.

My suggestion would be to start with a used Leica lens or one of the new Elmarits.

Robert
HI Rob
three months ago I'd have agreed with you. However, there are exceptions, three of my favorites are:
Zeiss 25mm biogon
This has a different feel from the excellent Leica 24mm, but it has fantastic contrast and is very very sharp - it's a great lens for dramatic medium wide landscapes.

Zeiss 50mm f1.5 sonnar
I got this lens by mistake! I love it - wide open it has a dreamy look about it slightly reminiscent of the Noctilux, but with a lovely bokeh - very 1930's. By f5.6 it is also brutally sharp like the biogon - it's also very small - versatile and full of character

CV 15mm f4.5
What a little cracker - again, it's tiny, really good for those moments when you don't want to be carrying the WATE, and above around f6.3 it's pin sharp.

Of course, all three of these benefit from 6 bit coding, which is a bother, but the lenses themselves have characteristics which aren't really provided by their Leica counterparts.

D

Digital Dude

I'm confused as to which photo is the “first one”. In any event, I really like the top photo (darker) as it is very well balanced with brilliant colors.

Last edited:
S

Shootist

I'm confused as to which photo is the “first one”. In any event, I really like the top photo (darker) as it is very well balanced with brilliant colors.
The first one would be on the top, unless you read right to left and from the bottom of the page to the top (Sorry I couldn't resist);). I printed the first one (TOP) and it turned out to dark and didn't highlight what the main subject of the image is, IMHO.
So I covered the image with a solid pattern and then lowered the opacity and painted over the subject with white to bring out what I wanted highlighted. I also cropped out part of the image.
I printed that second image (BOTTOM) and will frame it and give it to the client.

That's the beauty of photography. Everyone see the same thing differently.
Tomato's TomOto's.

D

Digital Dude

That’s ok, I knew I was going to get my hand slapped but I simply felt the unedited version was so good that I couldn’t possibly imagine how the PS version was better. The color and definition of the plant and tiles really is quite beautiful and warm, combined with the soft lighting that accentuates the main subject. Still, as you pointed out, it’s all quite subjective.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Well. Lots of good info in this thread. My thanks to everyone again (I think) for rekindling my desire for a Leica.

After a bunch of reading and surfing, I've decided to purchase the M8 and one lens. At this point, the lens choice is likely to be the 28/2 summicron ASPH.

Whatever urgency I feel strictly from the "I want one" point, is compounded by the looming year end. I have some room in my business budget for some gear and would like to take advantage of whatever tax savings I can. My original intention was to purchase the next iteration of the MAC Pro with the Penryn processor, but that's not likely to show up until January at Macworld. So... what a shame, stuck buying a Leica ;).

Of course I'm willing to be talked out of it. Go ahead, take your best shot!

I do have a question or two though... 1. What is the setup for the filter required to offset the IR problem? 2. Is there any rumor or discussion about a change to the M8 that might be looming? For instance, might there be an M8b somewhere in the MFG pipeline? 3. Any arguments against the 28 I've chosen?

And to answer your un-asked question, I want a black one. I figure it'll make me seem more mysterious, professional, and maybe even a little dangerous. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim wanna know a store to buy from. LOL

Trust me no one here is going to talk you out of it. :ROTFL:

The 28 cron is THE lens. i love it and it fits me well . On the IR issue just buy a leica 46mm and your all set. The lens is coded and will read everything perfect.

Seriously you need a dealer David here a forum member can hook you up with the whole package . He is a Leica authorized dealer in Florida called Dale labs . If somewhere else my friend Sean at Camera west in California plus others as well but this forum can get you all hooked up. many M8 owners and users right here. Plus you have Leica reps on this forum too. So any questions you have there is a answer and a place to get what you need. Your talking to Leica drug dealers here. LOL

And I'm the ring leader :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

S

Shootist

I'm going to try to talk you out of it.
If you buy a M8 before you know it you'll have a bag of lenses, Grip base, 1.25x Magnifier, maybe a Luigi case, external viewfinders, a second bag of batteries and SD cards, New tripod with new QR plates & ballhead and to TOP it all OFF a empty bank account and a overdraft on your Credit cards.

Good luck. You are now started down that Slippery Slope. Down stumble and fall.

S

Shootist

I should of added a second M8 just incase the first one goes down. God forbid you should ever be without at least one M8 body. At least that is how I look at it.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
You have chosen the absolute best (except that you didn't choose chrome:confused:). I have never heard one bad word about the quality and performance of the 28 cron. It is my most used lens. Don't worry about what will be coming down the pike in the future. The M8 is capable of beautiful photos, so just enjoy it.

And to answer your un-asked question, I want a black one. I figure it'll make me seem more mysterious, professional, and maybe even a little dangerous. :)

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You have chosen the absolute best (except that you didn't choose chrome:confused:).
Your leather-wrapped beauty makes a strong case for the chrome, I can see the appeal. It seems to complement my black's "mysterious, professional and dangerous" with a clean, professional and retro-sexy look. Still, at this point in my life, I'm opting for dangerous. :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing though!