The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hello and Question(s) about the M8

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Wow, that case is gorgeous, Cindy!
Thanks, Maggie.

Your leather-wrapped beauty makes a strong case for the chrome, I can see the appeal. It seems to complement my black's "mysterious, professional and dangerous" with a clean, professional and retro-sexy look. Still, at this point in my life, I'm opting for dangerous. :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing though!
Actually, I have had black M film bodies, and both are beautiful. I had a hard time deciding myself. You can't make a bad decision by choosing black or chrome.:angel:

S

Sean_Reid

And that universe seems rather large! Without starting any kind of flaming debate, can anyone provide a from-the-hip-without-excruciating-technical-detail assessment of the perceived qualities of the 3 major lens mfgs (Leica, Zeiss, CV) that fit the M8? At this early stage I'd like to hear some informed generalizations about the products from each--some "conventional wisdom" about the differences between the three.
I would be extremely cautious about many over-generalizations with these three brands. It's done all the time and the result is usually an inacurate picture of the specific lenses involved. That said, having tested these lenses very extensively for several years now, the following generalizations are, to my mind, often valid.

The Zeiss lenses tend to have the highest contrast and best flare resistance of the three and can tend to have very high resolution either on center, in the outer zones or in both. In some cases, Zeiss produces the highest resolution RF lens of a given focal length range (18 mm ish, for example). Certain Zeiss RF lenses are exemplary.

The current Leica lenses tend to be moderately high to high contrast, tend to show very low CA and often show fairly high resolution across the frame. I've yet to run across a Leica lens that was even mediocre; they tend to be excellent across the board.

The CV lenses can be either high or low contrast (depending on the model chosen). Some show noticeable CA wide open and some show none wide open. In some cases, a CV lens can show equal or better resolution than a Zeiss or Leica lens but sample variability, with some lenses, can be more common. A good sample of a good CV lens model can be an exceptional value, delivering performance that seems almost impossible for its price.

Again, one really needs to look at specific lenses. The greatest amount of misinformation tends to be circulated about CV lenses because brand pre-conceptions are still powerful. Also, its very important to keep in mind that lenses draw in different ways and this is an important factor in the choosing as well.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

On the whole Leica versus third party lenses, I think you are better off just getting the Leica lens unless it is a focal length you will not be using much.

Some people start off with the third party lenses and then the Leica bug hits and they have to have the best, a Leica lens. If you just buy the Leica lens to begin with you avoid the extra expense of the third party lens.

My suggestion would be to start with a used Leica lens or one of the new Elmarits.

Robert
Often times, the Leica lens is not the "best" for a specific photographer even if his or her budget is unlimited. It's an old prejudice and its tenacious but it isn't supported in objective side by side testing.

I also find the term "third party" often seems prejorative, a subtle implication of lesser quality which is often mythical. On the R-D1, for example, Leica lenses are technically "second party" lenses but I never think of them that way at all.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

What I wonder is how often people use the CV lenses after getting a Leica lens? I can see it when the CV lens is a 15mm or 21mm and the other Leica lenses are 24mm and up.

In your case Terry, I bet you will use the 28mm Cron before going to the 35mm CV. In other words, the money spent on the 35mm CV was a waste unless you use it or sell it. The point I was trying to make in the first post is that buying CV or Zeiss lenses just costs you more money rather than saves you money.

Robert
I have access to all kinds of lenses from these three companies and I often choose to use CV lenses. Rob, I think you're perpetuating a myth that is not supported in objective testing.

"The point I was trying to make in the first post is that buying CV or Zeiss lenses just costs you more money rather than saves you money."

I think that the above is absolutely wrong.

Tim,

You're frequently going to run into this kind of strong mythology about Leica lenses. I'd urge you to look carefully at the reviews and form your own opinions. Very few people have done careful testing of these various lenses so often the comments are based on biases and presumptions.

Rob, nothing personal.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

I don't know, my 35mm Ultron has a wonderful look, all its own, and I imagine I'd go to it even if I had a Leica lens. Horses for courses, wot?
Absolutely. As someone who has carefully tested these lenses extensively and for several years I emphatically disagree with some of the statements made here that present Leica lenses as the best and the others as mere "cheap alternatives". It's frustrating to read those kinds of comments when one knows, first hand, that they are misrepresentations.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Well. Lots of good info in this thread. My thanks to everyone again (I think) for rekindling my desire for a Leica.

After a bunch of reading and surfing, I've decided to purchase the M8 and one lens. At this point, the lens choice is likely to be the 28/2 summicron ASPH.

:)
That's a great choice for a fast 28. In fact, it's my own favorite fast 28. Among the slightly slower 28s, there are a lot of great choices.

Cheers,

Sean

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Thanks for the recommendation Guy.

Tim, we can certainly help you out. I have the 28 Cron ASPH in stock right now. I'd be happy to confuse you further with my own advice as well. :)

David

Tim wanna know a store to buy from. LOL

Trust me no one here is going to talk you out of it. :ROTFL:

The 28 cron is THE lens. i love it and it fits me well . On the IR issue just buy a leica 46mm and your all set. The lens is coded and will read everything perfect.

Seriously you need a dealer David here a forum member can hook you up with the whole package . He is a Leica authorized dealer in Florida called Dale labs . If somewhere else my friend Sean at Camera west in California plus others as well but this forum can get you all hooked up. many M8 owners and users right here. Plus you have Leica reps on this forum too. So any questions you have there is a answer and a place to get what you need. Your talking to Leica drug dealers here. LOL

And I'm the ring leader :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

woodyspedden

Sean

I agree with many if not all of your comments. I use both the CV 35 Nokton and the Leica 35 Lux. There is a type of drawing with the Nokton that I love, particularly for black and white ( which may be just saying that black and white works best for me in bars and at parties LOL). But if I could only have one it would be the Lux. At the same time one of the images in one of these threads (sorry I forget which) was taken at a memorial for our soldiers who died in battle. It was available light indoors and was truly well served by the more contrasty 35 Cron (as it would have with the Zeiss 35). So horses for courses as they say. I have sold my cron but will not sell either of the other 35s.

As always Sean, thanks for the sage and timely advice. It really helps us to make decisions which include our shooting needs and particularly priorities. It is amazing but in the two + years I have subscibed to Reid Reviews you have had to repeat this mantra over and over. I think (and hope) I finally get it.

Woody Spedden

S

Sean_Reid

Sean

I agree with many if not all of your comments. I use both the CV 35 Nokton and the Leica 35 Lux. There is a type of drawing with the Nokton that I love, particularly for black and white ( which may be just saying that black and white works best for me in bars and at parties LOL). But if I could only have one it would be the Lux. At the same time one of the images in one of these threads (sorry I forget which) was taken at a memorial for our soldiers who died in battle. It was available light indoors and was truly well served by the more contrasty 35 Cron (as it would have with the Zeiss 35). So horses for courses as they say. I have sold my cron but will not sell either of the other 35s.

As always Sean, thanks for the sage and timely advice. It really helps us to make decisions which include our shooting needs and particularly priorities. It is amazing but in the two + years I have subscibed to Reid Reviews you have had to repeat this mantra over and over. I think (and hope) I finally get it.

Woody Spedden
Thanks Woody. If I could only have one fast 35, it would also be the Lux ASPH but I'd rather have that and a 35 Nokton <G>.

Best,

Sean

Daniel

cindy, where did you get this case and strap?

meanwhile, if trsmith doesn't mind, i have an m8 question to add to this thread. i've been wanting to get a leica for almost 30 years, and now, my chrome m8 is arriving this morning along with the zeiss 35mm f2,0 lens. so, i want to celebrate with some fashionable accessories. i love the half-case and strap that cindy showed. it makes the camera look fondly "low-tech" and like a "novelty camera". i like this impression because i think that people in general would not feel intimidated by it if pointed in their general direction. my d2x have made people nervous. for example, i have been ordered to identify myself, and to leave the property because of this "high-tech" and "professional" looking camera.

anyway, got suggestions?

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

cindy, where did you get this case and strap?
Grumpy,
The half-case, strap and SD card holder (there also is a battery holder available) are from Luigi at Leicatime. http://www.leicatime.com/ This case has the built-in grip. Luigi can also make a case that incorporates the Leica grip or you can have it without a grip. I really like the built-in grip. You can have it made with a tripod socket and without. Mine is without. My strap is the padded model. This is the aged-brown color.
Congratulations on the new M8.

Daniel

Grumpy,
The half-case, strap and SD card holder (there also is a battery holder available) are from Luigi at Leicatime. http://www.leicatime.com/ This case has the built-in grip. Luigi can also make a case that incorporates the Leica grip or you can have it without a grip. I really like the built-in grip. You can have it made with a tripod socket and without. Mine is without. My strap is the padded model. This is the aged-brown color.
Congratulations on the new M8.
thanks much cindy. cool, the store is in italy, i can ask my brother in rimini to order this for me.

meanwhile, anyone knows if the m8 accepts nikon sb400 flash?

S

Shootist

meanwhile, anyone knows if the m8 accepts nikon sb400 flash?
I believe from reading the Nikon website that the SB 400 is specifically made to work with the D40/D80 cameras and won't even work "Correctly", If at all, on a D200.
So I really don't think it will work on the M8. But then there only one way to tell. Mount one on a M8 and see if it flashes.

woodyspedden

Ed and others

I can tell you from experience that both the Canon 550 and the SB 800 Nikon work great with the M8 in A mode. Great to have a shoe mounted flash that has tilt swivel et al. I also have the Nikon remote cable so as to be able to use it off camera. I find these combinations superior to the Metz 54 with adapters. The Metz is a hugely powerful flash and I think too much for the diminutive M8, IMHO. YMMV

Woody

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Woody, for confirming the SB 800 is OK for the M8. And the extension flash cord works too? Excellent!

Daniel

Thanks Woody, for confirming the SB 800 is OK for the M8. And the extension flash cord works too? Excellent!
trsmith, i tried the sb800 with the extension cord last night and the combo seems to work fine. but it's a bummer that the sb400 doesn't work with the m8.

dan

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
trsmith, i tried the sb800 with the extension cord last night and the combo seems to work fine. but it's a bummer that the sb400 doesn't work with the m8.

dan
Yes, very good news since I don't use flash that often and would hate to have to buy another. The SB800 is the only one I own and while it balances pretty well on the Nikon DXs, it's a bit large on top of the M8. But it'll do for now.

Daniel

What about the issues of color cast and banding? Have they been resolved?
regarding banding, i just discovered this tonight on my new m8. this is discouraging. i understand that this only happens when a light source is at the edge of the frame as pictured in the attachment.

for everyone else: i thought this issue was corrected in the later m8's.

—dan

Last edited: