The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new lens today - latest 50/2 cron

danlindberg

Ahhhh, what a good feeling. Picked up a brandspanking new 50 summicron late this afternoon! The only downside is that in Sweden late afternoon at this time of year means pitchblack. I have to wait until tomorrow to go out and try it.

But who can wait that long.....:p

I just had to go down to the studio and give it a go. Wow, the resolution and extreme detail :D As sharp as I have ever seen.

Feel free to add your own razorsharp images taken with the 50 cron!!!

D&A

Brad I'd also add the subject is a bit "wooden" and stiff looking, wouldn't you say? :)

jonoslack

Behave . . . if you lot carry on like this I'll just have to put my foot down.
congratulations Dan on your new accomplice.

Double Negative

Not Available
Looks like the lens will be a real shoe-in. The optics I find, go toe-to-toe with the 2/50 Planar. Both have real sole.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

O

Ockie50

Dan, this is what is called "back focusing" if I am not mistaken. I have the same problem with my Cron 50 bought new just two weeks ago from Cyberphoto in Sweden? I guess a trip to Solms is necessary.....

danlindberg

Hej Ockie,

It is a little worrying that so many write about their lenses being sent to Solms for calibration. I have a 75 cron on order but have been told to expect very long delivery - up to 6 months......that's why I picked up this 50. Not very good if I have to send it away :(

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hey guys, I'd be checking the calibration of your BODY before deciding it is just one particular lens. I'm not saying that Leica sometimes doesn't let something slip out that shouldn't have. They do. I'm just saying that it is worth investigating first that the calibration is off, which it clearly is from the test shot.

What I would do now is take whatever other lens you may have, and conduct the same exact test. Take into consideration the depth of field changes that take place with your change of focal length too, a wider lens will be harder to detect the same problem. After conducting this second test, you're half the way there. If the second lens is not perfectly focused, then what needs adjusting is your body, which can be easily done at most Leica dealers if you can't just manage it yourself.

I bring this up because many times I have seen new lenses returned to Leica as defective, then returned from Solms only to find the same problem still exists. A few hundred bucks in shipping later. A ten min adjustment to the camera was all it took to fix it.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I agree with Chuck. I have a 75 Cron that had focussing issues but I didn't send it back until I checked my 28, 35, 50 and 135 to make sure it wasn't the camera. In fact, it wasn't - but I needed to be sure before spending those shipping $$$.
Bill

danlindberg

Never thought it could be the rangefinder itself! I have been very happy with the 24 Elmar, but I also understand that this lens is not the best for this kind of tests, being both wideangle and a slow 3.8 lens. However, this lens appears to be very sharp.

I am going to talk to the shop today to see what they can do for me concerning the 50...I keep you posted :)

danlindberg

Chuck, it seems like you are right! I have today tested another 50 cron and also a 35 summarit in the shop with the same back focusing issues. Must be the rangefinder in the house that is off!

Unfortunately the shop does not have a repair/service person so even if it is a simple adjustment they need to send it away....:cry: