The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

Congratulations Bob!

and a lovely set of 'real world' shots. What I have found is that I use the S2 just like I would use the M9 - for a lot of snaps which my other MF gear I could never get enthusiastic about - except for the files..now the S2 gives us the IQ and much improved ergonomics. the auto focus is handy for sure..i'd like to see a split screen viewfinder to help with the V lenses I am using.

Pete
Peter, good to hear you are getting on well with the S2. I've only been using it in studio mostly ... the weather here is just horrible, and unseasonably cold. Nothing much to shoot.

-Marc

fotografz

Any MF digital capture raises one's awareness of possibilities that other forms of capture can only imitate....which is why I returned so quickly after selling my H3D II.

I almost traded up to the H4D 60...this thread helped me resist the urge - as an amateur I believe that the S2 will meet most of my needs.

Bob
Bob, I can confirm your decision re: your needs. In addition to the S2, I also did upgrade to the H4D/60 mostly for demanding large work and commercial studio applications. It is VERY demanding of technique to realize all the resolution, much more so than the H3D/39 or H4D/40. Plus, the Dalsa sensor produces files that require a whole new approach to post work compared to my previous Hasselblad Kodak files. It represents a big learning curve that's going to take a concerted effort to master.

Where in contrast, once customized, the S2 has been a more spontaneous tool, plenty of resolution and the optics are wicked good.

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Very nice work Bob. Congrat's on the kit.
Thank you David.

It is kind of fun to realize all that I need to learn to work with the new system. Enough is different in menus and functions that I need to figure out my personal preferences in regards to custom functions etc...

Bob

docmoore

Congratulations Bob!

and a lovely set of 'real world' shots. What I have found is that I use the S2 just like I would use the M9 - for a lot of snaps which my other MF gear I could never get enthusiastic about - except for the files..now the S2 gives us the IQ and much improved ergonomics. the auto focus is handy for sure..i'd like to see a split screen viewfinder to help with the V lenses I am using.

Pete
Thanks Pete,

I set aside the M9 for the present as my capture rate varied daily depending upon my sleep deficit and difficulty of subject with regards to distance speed and focus. My regrets have somewhat lessened now that I have had a weekend with the S2.

I need to also look at the split screen viewfinder as I have acquired a couple of P67 lenses to use until I can find a 35S lens. I have no V legacy glass and the P67s are being thrown away at todays prices.

Bob

docmoore

Bob, I can confirm your decision re: your needs. In addition to the S2, I also did upgrade to the H4D/60 mostly for demanding large work and commercial studio applications. It is VERY demanding of technique to realize all the resolution, much more so than the H3D/39 or H4D/40. Plus, the Dalsa sensor produces files that require a whole new approach to post work compared to my previous Hasselblad Kodak files. It represents a big learning curve that's going to take a concerted effort to master.

Where in contrast, once customized, the S2 has been a more spontaneous tool, plenty of resolution and the optics are wicked good.

-Marc
Marc,

It is great to have that confirmation. I struggled with the choice...did not want to commit but finally realized that I am not willing to give up spontaneity at this point. Locked down mirror up the resolution will be good enough for my needs.

I do hope to live a bit vicariously through your acquisition as you post captures from the H4D 60. There is something about the color rendition from that camera and chip that is wonderful - a good example was Woody Campbell's harbor/Statue of Liberty capture.

The weather here is not too conducive for photography with 15 mph winds gusting to 25 mph - golf ball hail last night and a 25 degree drop in temperature. I am surprised we did not have any tornadoes reported in the area. Good news will be the crystal clear blue skies if this blows over.

Bob

docmoore

I have had a chance to play a bit more with the S2 / 70S lens....

Rail Yard BW

Treasures in Same BW

Bob

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Urs Fisher's giant teddy bear being installed in front of the Seagrams building. M9 + bokeh king. 2 frames stitched and perspective corrected in PS.

docmoore

Capture Raw from Adobe in RC 6.4 has incorporated the S2 Profiles for correction for the S 70, S 120 and S 35 Lenses.

Here are a couple of captures developed with same: S2-P/70S.

Train Guages:

Train Switch:

Bob

docmoore

Hmmm . . . posted these in the wrong place.
Serendipity to the rescue...after my rash of posts the place needed a bit of a lift....always good to see. You have a great eye for that whimsical capture that elevates the day.:thumbup:

M9 so not that far OT.

Bob

bensonga

I'm starting to think that perhaps, just maybe, I should sell every camera and lens I own in order to buy an S2 with at least one lens.

Many really outstanding images here....and I was an S2 sceptic from the get go.

Gary

zoomstop

I'm starting to think that perhaps, just maybe, I should sell every camera and lens I own in order to buy an S2 with at least one lens.

Many really outstanding images here....and I was an S2 sceptic from the get go.

Gary
That was me about two months ago.

I dumped my entire Nikon line and now I have the S2-P+35mm+70mm and 120mm on order. The S2 and my M9 +35,50-Lux, 50mm-Nocti and 75mm Cron is all I have.

To your point, the S2 is simply the best camera I have ever used. I love it!

My Son - WIth Leica S2 - Color by David Miskinyar, on Flickr

Last edited: