The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

woodyspedden

I haven't had much time to really get into the S2 with adaptor and V lenses yet however I am impressed with the 'playability' of the files from this camera ...left one is 100/2 Zeiss - hand held @ 1/60th - and center is a B&W conversion again the 100/2 @ 1/125th right hand side shows the rendition of the 75 Summarit - which I think is an outstanding lens ( and I get to post a puppy shot)

I am really pleased to see the different drawing of the V versus Leica lenses but it looks like I will be forking out the cashola to buy some more selected Leica glass.

I think we need a split screen for manual focus - that woudl be a great help for exact focus. I love the hand holdability of this camera - the ergonomics are the main reason I bought into it and have no regrets at all. The biggest surprise is the batteries - WOW - I use a handgrip as well but I haven't had to charge the batteries since new - they just keep on going and going and going..
Peter

I believe a split screen for the S2 is already available. Check with your dealer

Woody

I haven't seen the split screen available yet, but it is supposed to be out soon I hear. I will be getting one when it becomes available. The grid screen is available now.

fotografz

I haven't had much time to really get into the S2 with adaptor and V lenses yet however I am impressed with the 'playability' of the files from this camera ...left one is 100/2 Zeiss - hand held @ 1/60th - and center is a B&W conversion again the 100/2 @ 1/125th right hand side shows the rendition of the 75 Summarit - which I think is an outstanding lens ( and I get to post a puppy shot)

I am really pleased to see the different drawing of the V versus Leica lenses but it looks like I will be forking out the cashola to buy some more selected Leica glass.

I think we need a split screen for manual focus - that woudl be a great help for exact focus. I love the hand holdability of this camera - the ergonomics are the main reason I bought into it and have no regrets at all. The biggest surprise is the batteries - WOW - I use a handgrip as well but I haven't had to charge the batteries since new - they just keep on going and going and going..
Dog shot rocks Peter :thumbup: ... I had one of those "Grey Ghosts" when I was a kid ... hell of a hunter. All the bullies in the neighborhood were terrified of him. Darned eerie looking when the light caught his eyes.

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Another S2-P P67 165 Lens Combination.

Cross Vine

This is testing 1200 rather than 900 in gallery....

Bob

PeterA

Marc - "Archie" is next door neighbour's dog -at first sight looks scary - but he is a gentle creature has a great relationship with our dog Ralph..

the first shot is a cropped ( for here) 'money shot' for landscape Architectural firms advertsising -they wanted a photograph that looked like an autocad rendition...the real benefit of 30/40/ 80 megapixels ( for me ) is the amount of play the files provide - before they collapse into goo.

fotografz

Woody - I don't think a split screen is out yet - maybe David F can chime in..
Not that I know of Peter ... and it is needed even for the S lenses used manually. A split diagonal with large micro-prism circle would be most welcome for manual work, especially Macro ... despite the bright viewfinder, it's still a bit difficult to manually nail critical focus.

A clip-on flip magnifier from Bright screen would also be most welcome :thumbup:

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Peter,

Good to see you posting and these are some very nice shots.

Marc,

Outstanding images with the 120 macro.

Attention Leica: Another vote for delivering a split prism screen ASAP. I frequently focus manually in situations where I can't center a models eyes and focus/recompose kills the flow.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I've seen the microprism/split image screen and it really is quite nice. In fact, I saw the microprism screen before I ever saw the grid screen, yet the grid screen starting shipping already. I'm not sure what the hold-up is in getting these out the door. Hopefully, we won't have to wait much longer.

As you can see by the photo through the viewfinder, the split screen is very bright and the split image totally disappears once you nail focus.

David

GMB

Off topic and certainly no news for the experienced shooters here.

I finally go a monopod today. Wow--what a difference that made. I shot the 180 at between 1/15 and 1/30 and most came out sharp. Probably one of the best accessories there is!

Having shot an M for the last 5 years, I never used one. Great discovery. Now only need to find the right head.

To illustrate

180 at 320 asa, f 3.5 and 1/25

and here a crop

BTW, how do you make a 100% crop?

dfarkas

Workshop Member
BTW, how do you make a 100% crop?
Georg,

If you are using Lightroom, just crop the image to a reasonable dimension. You can change your View Options under the View menu to include Cropped Dimensions, then check Show Info Overlay.

When you export, be sure to make sure Resize to Fit is unchecked. The resolution box is irrelevant, btw. Don't worry about it. I also uncheck Output Sharpening.

The resulting file is a 100% crop, guaranteed, meaning that 1 pixel on the sensor is represented at 1 pixel on screen.

I'm attaching some screenshots for clarity's sake. The first is what the Loupe info looks like on the full file. The second is the Loupe View options dialog. The third is what you will see in the Develop Module when cropping. Not the upper left corner now shows a file about 1200 pixels wide - perfect for posting. Lastly, the Export dialog shows where Image Sizing is.

Hope this helps.

David

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I finally go a monopod today. Now only need to find the right head.
I believe that Marc has mentioned this before...

RRS Monopod heads are superb ... I have used one for years. Prior model was not as robust as these.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=MH01&key=cat

I prefer this over the lever clamp models as I have heard of some of them releasing at the most inauspicious times.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...-Capacity-Monopod-Head-with-B2-Pro-II&key=ait

I use the same screw model with my BH-55 ball head.

Bob

fotografz

I believe that Marc has mentioned this before...

RRS Monopod heads are superb ... I have used one for years. Prior model was not as robust as these.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=MH01&key=cat

I prefer this over the lever clamp models as I have heard of some of them releasing at the most inauspicious times.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...-Capacity-Monopod-Head-with-B2-Pro-II&key=ait

I use the same screw model with my BH-55 ball head.

Bob
Yep, that's the one I've been using. Very secure and fast for spontaneous shooting from landscape to portrait orientation compared to using a L QR clamp requiring removal of the camera. A must for the fast paced kind of work I do, especially weddings and portraits.

Interesting shooting tip: ... I found that when going from landscape to portrait with this RRS monopod head, the camera viewfinder lowers quite a bit. So I also added a relatively inexpensive black Benbo A49F Monopod that has fairly substantial QR levers as opposed to the screw collars on my bigger Gitzo mono. I then use the top lever to quickly readjust the height. Probably a sacrilege to use a $80 Monopod with the S2 ;), but it looks good and works great.

-Marc