The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No matter what anyone thinks i do like the S2. But I still have my little concerns. The big one is 3:2 format and yes I know I have a darn Sony here that shoots the same format. Contradiction I know. Will see the one thing is it is starting to grow and from a Professional seat it is important that it does into a nice long term system. Like to see more folks here shooting it though. Now with Marc onboard we will see some more stuff.

Keep the images coming and BTW just because no one responds to your image does not mean it is not appreciated . I post images all the time and don't get a lot of responses either but I know folks do look and appreciate them but more important they learn from the images posted here on GetDPI from all the forums. So please don't ever think you are not providing a valuable asset to others . YOU ARE and never ever worry about taking up bandwidth. We are a Image forum and that will NEVER change

ceh

Thank you all for your support.:)

I've read here that lenses 35 and 180 respectively are available at some seller. Where is the seller situated, please?
I am not able to find a shop in Europe where these lenses would be available for sale.

fotografz

No matter what anyone thinks i do like the S2. But I still have my little concerns. The big one is 3:2 format and yes I know I have a darn Sony here that shoots the same format. Contradiction I know. Will see the one thing is it is starting to grow and from a Professional seat it is important that it does into a nice long term system. Like to see more folks here shooting it though. Now with Marc onboard we will see some more stuff.

Keep the images coming and BTW just because no one responds to your image does not mean it is not appreciated . I post images all the time and don't get a lot of responses either but I know folks do look and appreciate them but more important they learn from the images posted here on GetDPI from all the forums. So please don't ever think you are not providing a valuable asset to others . YOU ARE and never ever worry about taking up bandwidth. We are a Image forum and that will NEVER change
+1

I learn something here every day ... the pics are a very important part of that equation. Sometimes it is just a silent appreciation of work that is completely different from what I do, or how I see things, that I don't feel qualified to comment on ... but if it evokes a feeling or makes me think then it was worth taking the time to view it.

Thanks to all that do post.

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting David Kipper's first Florida S2 model shoot photos.
So am I Kurt :) I'm not going to complain about the weather down here to you but, for this neck of the woods, it's been very cold. Temps down in the 20's at night. David F told me about a shoot he was on in South Beach for Ocean Drive magazine at one of the ritzy hotels. Swimsuit, etc. shoot on the roof and the model was freezing. This is when the young ladies find out it's not all fun and games but work!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually all kidding aside i am very happy to see David and Marc with one of these in there hands for sure. First off they are dear friends and second both great shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:

D&A

Actually all kidding aside i am very happy to see David and Marc with one of these in there hands for sure. First off there dear friends and second both great shooters.
All the more reason to look forward to both their images and feedback on the system, as well as from the others posting their S2 shots and commentary. I believe there are quite a few of us, sort of sitting on the sidelines possibly contemplating the S2 in the near future (having used some MF and DMF in my case). Unfortunately there is far less feedback out there on the S2 system...having some additional strengths and weakness for certain applications that haven't been described in any great detail or the S2 system used in a way that one might not normally associate with MFD as compared to the other capable systems out there. I think the latter is one of the allures of the S2 system.

Dave (D&A)

danlindberg

I am following this. A dream for me would be a 30 tilt/shift, a 30-90 and a 180. A three lens setup that would do everything I wanted!!!!

David K

Workshop Member
Actually all kidding aside i am very happy to see David and Marc with one of these in there hands for sure. First off they are dear friends and second both great shooters.
Thanks for putting my name and Marc's in the same sentence Guy but I'm a distant second when it comes to shooting prowess.

Since there seems to be some interest in this system I'll pass along my thoughts about and expectations of the S2. First off, I've shot with it a number of times. Compared it to images taken at the same time and place with my DMR (which, IMHO, still delivers some of the best looking images ever) and did a head to head product shoot with my Sinar e75LV/Hy6 with strobes, tripod, etc. My conclusion was that the S2 wasn't any better than my Sinar kit IQ wise. So I'm not really expecting better images. What I am buying are the ergonomics, the LCD screen, and the workflow as well as the ability to shoot models with a faster and more fluid style. I know all about the advantages of shooting on a tripod but, with moving people shoots, I prefer not too. When a model is moving I struggle to nail focus... loosening and tightening the tripod head kills my rhythm. If the model is stationary I use the tripod and WLF. I am not crazy about giving up my WLF as I often like to shoot from a low perspective. I'll have to find some kind of right angle finder solution for those situations. Another big plus for me is the weather sealing. I shoot at the beach and on the boat frequently and do not like the idea of salt spray and sand coupled with an unsealed back. Couple of years back, on the DPI workshop here in Florida, I was shooting low at the waters edge with my Sinar kit and an unexpected wave washed over my kit. Totally my fault but...stuff happens. Happy ending to that story but it's still in the back of my head. Lastly, I like to carry my camera around even when I've got nothing planned. I find myself not doing that with the Sinar kit so I grab my Nikon... then I see the most gorgeous sunset and wish I had my MF kit. I look at the S2 as Nikon/Canon on steroids and that's pretty much how I plan to use it.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Kurt posted this today on Leica forum.

In the owner's section of the Leica site, you can find the latest S2 firmware available for download. The newest version is: 1.0.0.24

Bob

ceh

docmoore,
Thank you, I am a registered customer Leica and I do not have the information .. hmm:confused: