The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Arif

Kurt, Osman, Dave, Lloyd, Terry and Ceh,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to visit my web site. I have been enjoying the S2 very much and love the fact that I can travel everywhere with it and can shoot anything from Sports to Dance. Attached is another picture from a recent trip to Bali where I found this young dancer waiting by the side of the street. ISO 640, hand held at 1/125.

Thank you again,
Arif
www.arifiqball.com

jonoslack

HI Arif
I've just spent a happy hour on your website too.
Are you still using the Nikon D3? or have you ditched everything and gone with the S2 . .. . . . terrible thoughts are entering my head!

All the best

D&A

Jono said---> "Are you still using the Nikon D3? or have you ditched everything and gone with the S2 . .. . . . terrible thoughts are entering my head"<<<

You and me both Jono! At least for me, it adds new meaning to the expressions "Off with his head", "Must have his head examined" and at least a dozen others :)

Arif, you mentioned that some of the images on your website are taken with the D3x, and others with the S2....is there any way for a viewer to actaully identify which ones taken with which body? Although images are web sized, it would give some preliminary pause for thought on the differences between images taken each (body). Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono said---> "Are you still using the Nikon D3? or have you ditched everything and gone with the S2 . .. . . . terrible thoughts are entering my head"<<<

You and me both Jono! At least for me, it adds new meaning to the expressions "Off with his head", "Must have his head exmined" and at least a dozen others :)
Don't worry - for me too it would mean selling my granny (and she's been dead these 30 years!) not to mention all my photographic gear.:eek: It appears that Kurt sold all his M9 kit to get one.

i must stop thinking about this, I must stop thinking about this, I WILL stop thinking about this:bugeyes::scry:

D&A

Kurt, if we can extrapolate from that Cartoon, it appears all rabbits were "George" to the Snowman....so does that mean you'd be just as happy with my old film Spotmatic in a direct trade for your S2 (and couldn't tell the difference?) :) . Amazing, you got us all watching cartoons this morning, thats a feat all unto itself!

OK, back to those great S2 images!

Dave (D&A)

woodyspedden

Here's one from this afternoon as I try to get acquainted with the Hasselblad 250/4 lens on the S2 via adapter. This is handheld at (f8?) ... it was 12 degrees fahrenheit so no I didn't pay too much attention to my settings or spend the time to set up a tripod.

Kurt

I am very interested in either the Hassy 250 or 350 for use with my S2. I would appreciate your thoughts after using the 250/

Thanks

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Woody, I'll expand on it a little later. First, here's an image from this afternoon. It's been very cold ... and it's not even officially winter yet.

kevinparis

OK.. maybe its late... maybe I am jetlagged... maybe I have had one too many single malts... or maybe I am terminally scottish or just blind...but remind me again... this is supposed to be as good as it gets?

call me a luddite or a philistine or the kid pointing out the emperors new clothes but sorry unless someone else is footing the 30K bill for this camera I just don't get it

doug

... this is supposed to be as good as it gets?
Not on a web page it ain't. A P&S is overkill for a web page. "As good as it gets" is seen in big prints. The variety of photos in this thread is impressive knowing what kind of print quality is possible with each of them.

kevinparis

doug

not seen a photo on this thread that would ever justify printing larger than a camera at a quarter of the price wouldn't do as well.

fully appreciate the need for MF format quality for certain professional purposes, and for that the S2 is an interesting if not necessarily justifiable business wise, expenditure.

just get frustrated with threads that applaud image quality over quality of image.

I could buy an S2 tomorrow... but i wont... because i know it wouldn't make me take better images.

everything i have written is in the spirit of debate... no offence is directed at any of the posters personally

k

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Kevin,

Everyone has a tolerance for what they want to spend and what they want to spend it on. I'm comfortable with my decision. It's early in the process of getting to know the camera and the files as I've only had it for a couple of weeks ... and most of that time I've been stuck inside as the temperature has been about 10 degrees fahrenheit.

I guess I'd ask for just a little leeway as it usually takes a little while to figure out the processing to work the photos in a way that suits my tastes. Maybe I'm atypical, but I usually need a little time to find my groove with a new system.

That said, I'm excited about where the system is leading me.

kevinparis

kurt

I applaud your bravery in stepping up to the bleeding edge... Having met you i know this was not an impulse buy and something you will work hard with :) Unlike the guy in a LA camera store last week who was upsold a S2 from a Canon 5D just before handing over his credit card :)

I merely kicked the bucket on this thread to make sure people look at the photos and not the EXIF data or the number of pixels before making judgements on the right tool for their purpose

peace

K

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
No worries, Kevin. It's an interesting challenge ... trying to heft a heavy, expensive camera around for street shooting when it's obvious that one of those fancy little 4/3rds numbers at 1/40 of the price is the only choice for the street. ;)

The good thing about the system, though, is that when I want to shoot larger landscapes or portraits I can use the S2 more like it was intended to be used. Backwards, yes, but it'll work for me.

kevinparis

nice shot kurt

personally imagewise i would have done a vertical crop from back of cab to wing mirror...( you have more pixels than God :)

K