The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Knorp

Lloyd,
thanks for your kind words..:)
Problem here is ignorance.
Nobody does not communicate with me ...I do not know the reason..

Best..
Hi there CEH, please ... don't go :(
I'm just so happy with you people posting your S2 images here !
I'll never have an S2, though on a couple of occasions I was lucky enough to hold one and shoot a few pictures with the 70/2.5 and 120/2.5 macro.
I for one really enjoyed your entries, but perhaps I feel a little too humble to comment, sorry ... :eek:

So get going and keeping posting, CEH :thumbs:

Kind regards.

doug

Lloyd,
thanks for your kind words..:)
Problem here is ignorance.
Nobody does not communicate with me ...I do not know the reason..

Best..
The server where your photos are hosted is blocked at the office so I can't see your work until I get home where my internet service is slow and sporadic. I've enjoyed seeing your photos when I can.

fotografz

each to their own doug... but apart from kurts last shot and only if he cropped to my eye.. then nothing shown justifies to me being blown up beyond the web image... but thats just me... i am sure there are people who would pay good money for a print of their dog'

:)

just kicking the bucket, rattling the chains and trying to understand why people take photos

peace
K
Kevin, good on you for being the image police ... you should cruise the Medium Format Image love fest ... lots of cans in need of kicking there :ROTFL:

IMHO, Mark Gowin's rafting image show diverse use, and while it could just as well have been taken with a Nikon or Canon ... it wasn't, it was the S2.

I agree with Shelby Lewis, despite whether one agrees with content or aesthetics, a lot of the images have a natural look to them. Apply that to one's own approach to photography if it's appealing.

Totally disagree that nothing here deserves more than a web posting ...Arif's classic images could easily deserve 20X30s ... all that meticulous detail in the costumes and make-up is totally wasted on the web.

Not sure I'd give up my M9 kit for an S2, nor shoot street stuff with it ... but we'll find out since a S2P and 3 lenses land on my door step tomorrow AM :) (and no, I am not abandoning my H4D/60 set-up ... horses for courses).

Oh, BTW, I sell WAAAAAAY more pics of people's dogs and kids than gritty urban "street" statements. Such lovely B&Ws and few takers. Go figure :ROTFL: Dog and baby pics are what helps pay for the personal non-paying work ... and all the toys :thumbup:. Frankly, I like shooting dogs and kids because it just takes a few minutes and makes people happy.

An almost web worthy S2/180mm Dog pic just for you Kevin ... (just yanking your chain ... keep your sense of humor :D)

-Marc

kevinparis

Marc... already did some kicking in the MF forum... they had a thread for very large images which was amusing for a while.

anybody who knows me knows I am not a vindictive person... but will occasionally howl against the wind if the aroma of false platitudes and bull**** get too strong.

I wish everyone who has an S2 many many happy and successful pictures... but at the end of the day ....to me the camera is secondary to the photographer.

peace and serenity from a snowy belgium

K

peterv

I hope you stay. I really enjoy your S2 images (and your Leica M images). I think the problem is that there aren't very many people on the forum who shot the S2... yet. Keep posting, and keep tempting us all. :thumbup:
+1

CEH, I stared at your landscapes for quite some time, enjoyed your posts very much :)

Ever since the S2 came out, I've followed every S2 thread on this forum, LuLa and LUF. I'm in the same boat as some others here... Would love to work with the camera but find the price a little too high at the moment. I could sell off all the gear I try to do serious photowork with, but than I could merely buy an S2 with peasant-guarantee and the 70 mm. I'd loose my Leica film M's and lenses and my a900's and Zeiss glass... Two complete systems for one camera with a normal lens... Still dreaming about that option though :eek:

Kurt,

thanks for starting this thread. I find any S2 image I can get my eyes on interesting to study.

Everyone please keep posting!

David K

Workshop Member
I hope you stay. I really enjoy your S2 images (and your Leica M images). I think the problem is that there aren't very many people on the forum who shot the S2... yet. Keep posting, and keep tempting us all. :thumbup:
I'll echo Lloyd's sentiment... I have enjoyed your images as well just been distracted with other matters and haven't said so.

ashwinrao1

CEH, agreed. Your shots are amazing. Please keep posting. Many of us, myself included, will never own an S2 (due to lack of funds, not wanting), so It's great to live vicariously through you. You have a great eye, and I love both your M9 and S2 shots!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The 180 arrived, sorry for another pet picture. But Auggie was my only willing lens test subject. At least it gives you an idea of the detail.

fotografz

Marc... already did some kicking in the MF forum... they had a thread for very large images which was amusing for a while.

anybody who knows me knows I am not a vindictive person... but will occasionally howl against the wind if the aroma of false platitudes and bull**** get too strong.

I wish everyone who has an S2 many many happy and successful pictures... but at the end of the day ....to me the camera is secondary to the photographer.

peace and serenity from a snowy belgium

K
No disagreement from me Kevin. Yet, that is something of a bromide any more. :deadhorse: Sure it's the photographer ... always was, always will be.

However, there are an awful lot of people that just do this for fun, they try their best which may not measure up to what someone else may think is best. I suppose tweaking folks from time-to-time keeps everyone on their toes rather than a merry-go-round of hugs and kisses. However, "it's the photographer" remains true no matter what is being used ... meant in the opposite way you are saying it: i.e., using better gear most likely won't make them any worse either ... and maybe, just maybe, it'll wake them up more than a P&S. Ya just never know. I remember taking my first M camera out of the box and thinking ... " Jeeze, some of the best photos every made were done with this camera ... no excuses Marc, get to it."

Personally, I'm not very competitive about my photography (anymore) ... I had more than enough of that in my advertising agency career ... so making people smile or feel something on a personal level is what I strive for now ... not specifically interested in the masses of critical photographers with an aesthetic agenda, but very interested in the one-on-one relationships in photography.

So, the S2 is just an instrument of people's relationship to photography ... be it used for snap-shots or a national ad campaign. Cost is a barrier for sure. Personally, I finally decided to go for it before I run out of time ... since having my money in my hand doing something beats languishing in the bank earning next to nothing while waiting for the next world-wide Grand Larceny :eek:

-Peace ... and hugs and kisses to all.

Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
By the way, on the subject of pursuing photography, here's something that my 13-year-old daughter is turning in for a personal narrative tomorrow. Whether you do it as a profession or as a personal endeavor, pursue what makes you happy and provides you with inspiration.

I was surprised to read what she wrote ... but not with her insight. Who knows whether she'll eventually choose photography as a profession (and it really doesn't matter). I'm just happy that my choice in expressing myself has made it easier for her to express herself.

I live with my mother, father, brother, and two dogs. My brother, Konnor, attends college at The Ohio State University and I suppose life is different without the whole family. But no family is perfect. And that’s one of the best parts about us. We have our occasional arguments, but nothing serious. The most arguing probably goes on between my brother and I, though. At the end of the day, we’re a family and that’s all that matters.

Someday I hope to become a professional photographer. The instant I found my life interest, reality began. For some people, it takes many years to find what we love most about life. For me, photography expresses a lot of the words I cannot- and I think that’s what makes it seem easier than it looks. Once I began pursuing photography as an art, I discovered that it's irrational not to notice most of which I would’ve ignored before. Even the slightest drop of a laugh or hint of a smile causes the atmosphere to change.

Most of all, it seems like the pictures I take and the people I meet change my perspective- on everything. I meet people like myself, and others that I would’ve overlooked. Not rudely overlooked; just not someone I would’ve intentionally started a conversation with. Most importantly, photography portrays people for who they really are, and that is what fascinates me the most.

fotografz

By the way, on the subject of pursuing photography, here's something that my 13-year-old daughter is turning in for a personal narrative tomorrow. Whether you do it as a profession or as a personal endeavor, pursue what makes you happy and provides you with inspiration.

I was surprised to read what she wrote ... but not with her insight. Who knows whether she'll eventually choose photography as a profession (and it really doesn't matter). I'm just happy that my choice in expressing myself has made it easier for her to express herself.

I live with my mother, father, brother, and two dogs. My brother, Konnor, attends college at The Ohio State University and I suppose life is different without the whole family. But no family is perfect. And that’s one of the best parts about us. We have our occasional arguments, but nothing serious. The most arguing probably goes on between my brother and I, though. At the end of the day, we’re a family and that’s all that matters.

Someday I hope to become a professional photographer. The instant I found my life interest, reality began. For some people, it takes many years to find what we love most about life. For me, photography expresses a lot of the words I cannot- and I think that’s what makes it seem easier than it looks. Once I began pursuing photography as an art, I discovered that it's irrational not to notice most of which I would’ve ignored before. Even the slightest drop of a laugh or hint of a smile causes the atmosphere to change.

Most of all, it seems like the pictures I take and the people I meet change my perspective- on everything. I meet people like myself, and others that I would’ve overlooked. Not rudely overlooked; just not someone I would’ve intentionally started a conversation with. Most importantly, photography portrays people for who they really are, and that is what fascinates me the most.
Insightful beyond her years.

-Marc

I am guilty of not commenting when I want too. I often pop in the forum for a minute on my iPad just to see whats going on, but rarely have time to make a thoughtful comment. I must try harder to express my thoughts.

D&A

Come on, don't let a single comment stop you folks from posting S2 images ... bring them on!
I would Marc if I had a S2...in fact I'm willing to post one each hour for the forseeable future...but you'll 1st need to send me your newly minted S2 and lenses in order to put them through their paces. :)

Seriously though, looking forward to you, Kurt and all others who have the S2 to continue posting images (and that includes many of CEH's lovely images too) and providing insights of the system, while I contemplate a variety of "what if's" !

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Marc, we all know the slope is slippery but it seems like maybe there's some extra grease on your part of the hill. Looking forward to some S2 shots from you... I remember the early test shots you posted back when you were considering it. Hope to be posting to this forum myself pretty soon... like late next week :)

fotografz

Marc, we all know the slope is slippery but it seems like maybe there's some extra grease on your part of the hill. Looking forward to some S2 shots from you... I remember the early test shots you posted back when you were considering it. Hope to be posting to this forum myself pretty soon... like late next week :)
:ROTFL:

Talk about an 180º turn around and impulse buy David ... yesterday AM I had no intention on doing this ... especially with a H4D/60 in route to me :eek:. Then my long time Leica dealer e-mailed me. One phone discussion and bargaining session later a S2P, 35, 70, 180, spare battery and SF58 was on it's way for delivery today. I couldn't resist the collective price. Still expensive mind you, but two barriers were lessened or removed (well covered in initial reviews of the S2) ... lack of system completeness/availability, and relative price to value. For me, an emergency bale-out prospect was covered by the collective system pricing in case I have to sell off a bunch of stuff due to unforeseen dire circumstances. I would have passed if it was all full retail.

As much as I bitched about this kit I have to admit it has made progress ... enough so that it moved back onto the consideration list for a lot of my applications. Not interested in the leaf shutter lens versions, that is what the H4D/60 is for. For me, the two kits represent the perfect set-up of complimentary systems: The leaf shutter Hassey with a higher sync speed for outdoor or studio apps, and a super high-resolution larger sensor ... and a weather resistant, ergonomically mobile, focal plane shutter kit with a bigger sensor than 35mm, and Leica optics.

Oddly, when my financially conservative father lie dying not long ago, he confided in me to do what you want NOW ... live to the brink because the end is certain. I'm not a spring chicken, so it's NOW or maybe never ... and never is forever. I don't collect watches, have fancy cars, a sail boat, or villa in the Caribbean ... which I could IF I didn't do this kind of thing ... photography is my pleasure and passion.

However, I will be selling off a ton of excellent gear starting soon ... so everyone keep their eye on the GetDpi For Sale section as it will be offered there first as always ;)

-Marc

jonoslack

Hi there CEH, please ... don't go :(
I'm just so happy with you people posting your S2 images here !
I'll never have an S2, though on a couple of occasions I was lucky enough to hold one and shoot a few pictures with the 70/2.5 and 120/2.5 macro.
I for one really enjoyed your entries, but perhaps I feel a little too humble to comment, sorry ... :eek:

So get going and keeping posting, CEH :thumbs:

Kind regards.
HI Bart
+3 (or is it 4)
Please Come Back!

Marc
I'm afraid I'm jealous :-(

Congratulations on getting the S2 system Marc. I recall meeting you in St Pete beach just over a year ago when we were both trying out an early production S2. At the time you clearly liked the form factor, but had reservations about the lack of a system (lenses, raw processing, etc.). Fortunately, times have changed and the S system is filling out nicely. You are in an even better position now that there are S2 to Hasselblad lens adapters available. Enjoy! I look forward to seeing some of your S2 photos.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Guy, join the party. ;) I know that you're a happy Phase camper, though. You're getting great stuff from the P40+ back.