The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

peterv

Just a quick thank you to everyone sharing their S2 images in this thread.
And a very happy, healthy and photographically interesting New Year to you all!

-Kurt, what made you decide for the B/W conversion? Seems like a nice subject for subdued winter colours...

Lloyd

Kurt, this is magnificent...truly spectacular. I see that you are enjoying this new tool! I wish I could muster up the courage (i.e. the funds) to get this, but I can't afford to do so, and am fully invested in the M system.

But like my pre-Noct f/0.95 days, I'll live vicariously through you!
Big plus ONE!! Amazing!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks Mark, Jono and Lloyd.

Ashwin, you are very kind. So far I'm very happy that I've stepped away from the M9 and rangefinder photography for awhile. I really needed to get away from my shallow depth of field comfort zone to be able to try to grow as a photographer. I felt that I was becoming much too one dimensional in how I viewed image making. Did you know that there are apertures beyond f0.95? Who'd have thunk it? I actually took a shot at f16 yesterday. ;)

Peter, good question. I thought that I'd just throw in a black and white. I prefer the color, which I've attached.

Kurt

Amin

Panning,
AFc mode,Aperture Priority...
Awesome shot, ceh. Between this and the tennis pictures earlier in the thread, I can see how versatile the S2 can be!

Here is one with the 180mm Summarit-S, a very nice lens.
Beautiful feeling to that scene, Kurt. I especially like the color version. I've really been enjoying the thread so far and can relate to your comment about shallow DOF comfort zone.

D&A

Peter, good question. I thought that I'd just throw in a black and white. I prefer the color, which I've attached.

Kurt
Kurt,

Truly lovely image, that in my opinion really works best in color. My reasoning is the color shows the last vestiges of life this time of year, while the decaying crops and barren trees emphasize their passing/hibernation for the given season. The dichotomy between the two in a hauntingly stark but striking images truly works.

I still have to comment on all the other great S2 images being posted in this thread by yourself and others. Many really show off some of the notable merits of the S2 and lenses being used with it.

Whereas shallow depth of field when used appropriately is one of the strong domains of rangefinder photography, these S2 images are showing many of us the strengths of that system and how each user is both coping and exploiting its what it is capable of. Thanks to all for letting us learn though your eyes and words.

Dave (D&A)

Arif

Wayan Roma - Balinese Salt Farmer.

Some more pictures are on my blog. It is nice to be able to be near water and feel perfectly comfortable having the S2.

Wishing everyone a Very Happy New Year! Looking forward to the many possibilities it will bring.

Best regards,
Arif
http://blog.arifiqball.com

Arif

Ashwin, you are very kind. So far I'm very happy that I've stepped away from the M9 and rangefinder photography for awhile. I really needed to get away from my shallow depth of field comfort zone to be able to try to grow as a photographer. I felt that I was becoming much too one dimensional in how I viewed image making. Did you know that there are apertures beyond f0.95? Who'd have thunk it? I actually took a shot at f16 yesterday. ;)

Kurt
Hi Kurt,
I like both the B&W and the Color since they have different interpretations. Did you use Silver Efex for the conversion. I find that it works very well with my S2 files as long as I don't do too many local adjustments.

Take care,
Arif

ceh

Kurt,

Truly lovely image, that in my opinion really works best in color. My reasoning is the color shows the last vestiges of life this time of year, while the decaying crops and barren trees emphasize their passing/hibernation for the given season. The dichotomy between the two in a hauntingly stark but striking images truly works.
Dave (D&A)
+1 :)

Paratom

Wayan Roma - Balinese Salt Farmer.

Some more pictures are on my blog. It is nice to be able to be near water and feel perfectly comfortable having the S2.

Wishing everyone a Very Happy New Year! Looking forward to the many possibilities it will bring.

Best regards,
Arif
http://blog.arifiqball.com
Just visited your site-some great images there! I like the one from the guy smoking the cigarette a lot.

Paratom

Hi Kurt,
great image. I also prefer the color one.

Would you mind to comment a bit more regarding overall experience/handling/portability and also IQ between the S2 and the M9?
If you think it doesnt belong here you could maybe send me a pm if you find the time. Thanks, Tom

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks ceh, Amin, Dave, Tom and Arif.

Arif, love the image. Besides being an excellent photo, if definitely highlights the crisp, bright and colorful nature of the S2 look.

Dave, the S2 and M9 are definitely not substitutes for each other. But, either can be pressed into duty to carry out some of the strengths of the other. For instance, while I liked the separation I was getting with the M9 and fast lenses, I'm able to get a different type of separation with the S2 that has more depth.

Tom, I think the biggest advantage I'm realizing with the S2 versus the M9 is just the added versatility I have in carrying the camera around versus the M9. For the first time in a long while I get longer lenses, AF when I need it and the sensor size I want if I want to print really large prints. I find it to also be the right size (for me) to carry around versus the other options available from Phase and Hasselbad (and, yes I did spend a great deal of time with both systems in developing my opinion). I enjoy the idea that it has a bit of a hybrid form factor. It allows me to pursue my own idea of what I like to shoot. Whereas there are a lot of folks in the medium format section that utilize their megapixel monsters for methodical stitching, tech cameras and maximum depth of field, that isn't me. I believe that there are other ways to use larger sensors to capture the world that surrounds us. As an example, after spending some time driving around in the fog looking for an interesting landscape like the one above, I drove into the city yesterday and grabbed some shots with the 180 and AF. Later in the evening, I put a 110/2 on the S2 via adapter and unabashedly shot some ISO1250 shots as I continue to try to see how far I can push the S2 into the night without flash. It's the freedom that I'm gaining that I'm enjoying most.

peterv

Kurt
Thanks for posting the color version :salute:

I like both actually. In general I'm more into color photography, but I think the B/W conversion worked really well for this kind of scene. The grey tones do convey the feeling of a cold and dark winter day very nicely.

Best whishes,
Peter

David K

Workshop Member
Still putting my new camera thru its paces... but all these snow and ice pics made me want to post something a little warmer.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
David, looks much warmer on the south side of the continent. I was at the beach on Lake Michigan this afternoon for the annual polar bear plunge. Two hours outside in 15 degree fahrenheit weather with 35mph winds. Battery on the S2 still at full charge. Frozen fingers, but not crazy enough to jump in the lake. ;)