The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Marc, I'm really sorry that your S2 journey ended with a big sink hole. The part that is most irritating is that without the issues that have plagued you and a number of others, it's a pretty sweet ride. :(

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Couple of behind the scenes shots... just for fun. Even the models want to be photographers :)
Nice stuff, David. I hope you're bringing more files for us to look at when you come down tomorrow! And that location is amazing. :bugeyes: I better be invited to come along next time. ;)

David

bensonga

Couple of behind the scenes shots... just for fun. Even the models want to be photographers :)
Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots David. Warms my heart to see sunshine, warm temps and poolside bathing beauties. Up here in my neck of the woods, we are only mid-way through a long, cold and dark Alaskan winter. I really need to get out of this state more often. :eek:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks David. Just trying out different lenses and settings. The first one was with the Zeiss 110/2 and an ND filter. This next one is with the 180 ... a smoking good lens.

Sorry I can't join you and Roger on South Beach tomorrow ... I'll have to make due with my frozen North Beach. ;)

David K

Workshop Member
Wow, Kurt... that Leica Pony Express news travels fast. Yes, Roger has been shown the secret handshake and we are hoping to catch a few good sunrise images in the early morning at SoBe.

D&A

Thanks David. Just trying out different lenses and settings. The first one was with the Zeiss 110/2 and an ND filter. This next one is with the 180 ... a smoking good lens.

Sorry I can't join you and Roger on South Beach tomorrow ... I'll have to make due with my frozen North Beach. ;)

Hi Kurt, David, Arif, CEH and all other S2 users (hope I didn't leave anyone out).

While I contemplate S2 related things, I was wondering for long lens use, what is there in the 500-600mm MF lens range that can be used on a S2 (therefore with an equivelent effective focal length of approx 350-450mm in 35mm full frame terms)...and that falls in the relm of somewhat being reasonable in terms of $$ investment. Any spossible suggestions would be appreciated. I know you're really impressed with your 180mm Kurt, but if I was to go the S2 route, I would need something longer, especially if I give up the 35mm DSLR system.

Kurt, love the colors of your last two posted images and can imagine even from these web sized images, the detail that is retained.

Thanks!

Dave
(D&A)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Dave,

The longer Mamiya 645 manual focus APO lenses are excellent. I had the 300/2.8 APO for awhile and used it with a Phase camera and P45+ back. The 300mm APO lens originally sold for $12k ... it can now be purchased used for around $3k. The 300mm would be about a 240mm in 35mm.

There is also a 500/4.5 APO lens that is very rare and based off of the same design as the 300/2.8 APO. The original retail price of the 500mm APO lens was around $18k. They pop up very rarely at prices quite a bit lower than that now.

The 300mm APO can also be used with teleconverters that will get you a bit more distance.

Here is a crop of the last shot of mine with the 180 which was shot at f5.6 and hand-held. The lens has fantastic detail resolution. The building at the end of the breakwater was a long way from where I was standing.

Kurt

D&A

Hi Kirt,

Thanks ever so much for the info..truly helpful! It gives me both pause for thought and a good place to start looking into this further. When I shot some MFD in the past, I primarily used it in a large studio setting for pre-performance shots of artists during dance and other practice and posed routines, and left the longer stuff to a 35mm DSLR. Now I'm contemplating using the S2 to replace the DSLR, so it will often necessitate the use of longer glass. The 300 f2.8 with teleconverter with/without cropping might just make it but 500mm is probably closer to what I would be looking for where I wouldn't always have to rely on cropping.

Great stuff Kurt and everyone else!! Seems the angle of this slipperly slope keeps getting steeper all the time :)

Dave (D&A)

Dave, I have been wanting to try a long lens on my S2 for a long time. I have kept my Canon system with 500mm because I don't want to give up the long telephoto. Now that adapters are available for the S2 there are several options for longish telephoto. Al Tanabe is loaning me his Hasselblad 350mm CF to try when I'm down in South Florida in a couple weeks. I have been looking around at both Hasselblad and Pentax 67 telephotos and there's seveal options all the way up to the Pentax 800mm beast. My biggest problem is that I don't have history or knowledge of older manual focus / manual aperture MF lenses. Al has been trying to teach me what to look for.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
It's just sad that Leica R glass is out of the equation via adapter. There would have been so many great options to consider. :(