The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Paratom

SO far the S2 fully meets my expectations. It works so well for me that I use it for many occasions were one could say MF is overkill and my DSLR(s) and the M9 collect dust.
The downside is once being used to the IQ of the S2 the results from my other cams are judged with a diferent expectation level now.

Paratom

by the way...everybody who thinks a S2 with 3 lenses in a sling bag is too heavy to carry for 3 hours....I recommend to carry a backpack with a praglider and equipment (15-20kg)....afterwards the S2 feels really light ;)

Paratom

without commenting all images - many really nice ones...and interesting to see different styles of photography and many different applications.

GMB

SO far the S2 fully meets my expectations. It works so well for me that I use it for many occasions were one could say MF is overkill and my DSLR(s) and the M9 collect dust.
The downside is once being used to the IQ of the S2 the results from my other cams are judged with a diferent expectation level now.
Tom--Seems you have as much fun as myself :D. I got the 180 on Saturday and now wait for the 120.

Georg

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
once being used to the IQ of the S2 the results from my other cams are judged with a diferent expectation level now.

Any MF digital capture raises one's awareness of possibilities that other forms of capture can only imitate....which is why I returned so quickly after selling my H3D II.

I almost traded up to the H4D 60...this thread helped me resist the urge - as an amateur I believe that the S2 will meet most of my needs.

Bob

docmoore

by the way....I recommend to carry a backpack with a praglider and equipment (15-20kg)....afterwards the S2 feels really light ;)
The burden of carrying our children for a season is lightened by their smiles and the knowledge that one day they must carry us.

Great pic.

Bob

dfarkas

Workshop Member
It has more than I expected...giving up the removable back and changing systems was a bit of a concern. Now that I have had a chance to work with the camera some of those concerns were alleviated.

It is a camera that seems to succeed at both grand and small scale visions...

I think that the AF is a bit underrated here...I was impressed with speed and the ability to fine tune your shots once I gained some facility with the AF lock
button.

I need to read up on A versus P modes ... camera seems to change without input on my part. I am sure that I am doing something I shouldn't with regards to this.

I think you would find it to be an ideal companion to the D3s...all of my shots at 640 appear very clean. When things get very fast or too dark the D3s will catch the light.

Bob
Bob,

Looks like you're off to quite a good start with the S2.

The camera is changing from P to A because you are pressing in while turning the thumb wheel and the camera is set to "short press". Go into the Setup menu (lower right quadrant). Change the "Click Wheel Exp. Mode" to "Long Press". This will make it harder to accidentally change the exposure mode from P to A. In fact, to do so on the long press option, you will need to press and hold the thumb wheel in for 3 seconds.

I'd suggest to watch our video instruction series on the S2, which covers all of the menu options and basic operations of the camera. They can be found on our YouTube channel at: http:www.youtube.com/user/DalePhotoAndDigital. We will be updating the videos soon to cover the changes in the latest firmware release like long exposure selection in Bulb and DNG compression.

I'd also make a recommendation to set the AF-lock button to activate AF rather than use the shutter release. Just set the Focus Mode to MF and the rear button will be set to AF-on. Should help with focus and recompose.

Hope this helps.

David

jonoslack

These are post processed a bit with Nik SEfex 2:

Texas Skis:
Hi Bob
All of these shots are gorgeous, and chime with my soul exactly - grand shots of small things - really splendid.
I'm jealous of your S2 - you're making wonderful shots already.
Lloyd . . . . when does yours arrive?

docmoore

Hope this helps.

David
David,

More than help...invaluable time savers.

My H3D II was set for AF with button and MF otherwise...preferred way to focus.

I doubt I would have uncovered the short press difference quickly....

I did see your video on Custom Functions this weekend. I need to followup with the others, they all are very good.

I have followed your blog since the intro in Germany....Savannah and the 35 segment are just stunning. One of the main motivators in my change. The 35 is the next lens on my "short-list."

I hope to contact you tomorrow concerning the adapter.

Thanks again for all the information and support that you have provided on the S2.

Bob

docmoore

Lloyd . . . . when does yours arrive?
Seriously?

I endorse the move....

And Jono...I have followed you pics since your photo.net days...Venice with the D(xx) caught my attention. Thank you for the encouragement...I need to spend more time with the camera...these were from two mornings after I received it. Much to explore.

My M series days are numbered as my eyesight is less than ideal...nice to have AF as a backup for those difficult days and times.

I would love to connect the next time I am transiting through the UK onto W Africa or when our daughter defends her D Phil dissertation...the light in Cornwall and Suffolk looks to be stunning.

My regards to Caspar....

BTW Redgrave Church series during this Lenten season is stunning. Well done!

Bob

woodyspedden

David,

More than help...invaluable time savers.

My H3D II was set for AF with button and MF otherwise...preferred way to focus.

I doubt I would have uncovered the short press difference quickly....

I did see your video on Custom Functions this weekend. I need to followup with the others, they all are very good.

I have followed your blog since the intro in Germany....Savannah and the 35 segment are just stunning. One of the main motivators in my change. The 35 is the next lens on my "short-list."

I hope to contact you tomorrow concerning the adapter.

Thanks again for all the information and support that you have provided on the S2.

Bob
Bob

I promise that you will be blown away by the 35S. The lack of distortion and the razor sharpness of this lens puts it in a class of its own. (At least for AF lenses. I have never used Schneiders or Rodenstocks so can't comment on them)

Keep having fun. The S2 just seems to get better and better as you use it more and more.

Congrats

Woody

docmoore

The S2 just seems to get better and better as you use it more and more.

Congrats

Woody
Woody,

At our age it is nice to find something that gets better and better...other than my wife I have not seen this to a great extent.

Looks like the 35 may be a bit of a wait....none seem to be in the US at present.

But I have a lot to learn with the present system.

Thank you for the encouragement for the 35...I am excited to see all the upcoming lenses.

Bob

Paratom

Tom--Seems you have as much fun as myself :D. I got the 180 on Saturday and now wait for the 120.

Georg
Yes Georg,
lately I have used the 120 and 180 a lot, the 70 only occasionally and the 35 very seldom.
How do you like the 180 so far?

PeterA

Congratulations Bob!

and a lovely set of 'real world' shots. What I have found is that I use the S2 just like I would use the M9 - for a lot of snaps which my other MF gear I could never get enthusiastic about - except for the files..now the S2 gives us the IQ and much improved ergonomics. the auto focus is handy for sure..i'd like to see a split screen viewfinder to help with the V lenses I am using.

Pete

GMB

Tom--I only used the 180 for a day at the beach in Holland. I like it a lot, but have to get used to the focal length, as for the past 5 years I shot almost exclusively Ms and seldomely used something longer than a 75. One thing I noticed that when I took shots of my wife (full body) from about 8 m, her front shoulder was in focus and the face already slightly out of focus (at f 6.8). Depth of field is so thin that you have to be spot on with your focus. I also tried to shoot our dog running into and out of the sea but this showed the limites of the autofocus, which is too slow for such an excercise. As others have noticed, this is clearly 35mm territory.

I also try to "learn" all lenses and sometimes go out with the intention to shoot one lens (eventhough the others are in the bag). I did the same with the M9, where I also went out with maximum 3 lenses.

One thing I need to work on is my lens changing technique. Still takes too long. I also need a proper bag but have not found the ideal solution yet.

Georg

Paratom

Tom--I only used the 180 for a day at the beach in Holland. I like it a lot, but have to get used to the focal length, as for the past 5 years I shot almost exclusively Ms and seldomely used something longer than a 75. One thing I noticed that when I took shots of my wife (full body) from about 8 m, her front shoulder was in focus and the face already slightly out of focus (at f 6.8). Depth of field is so thin that you have to be spot on with your focus. I also tried to shoot our dog running into and out of the sea but this showed the limites of the autofocus, which is too slow for such an excercise. As others have noticed, this is clearly 35mm territory.

I also try to "learn" all lenses and sometimes go out with the intention to shoot one lens (eventhough the others are in the bag). I did the same with the M9, where I also went out with maximum 3 lenses.

One thing I need to work on is my lens changing technique. Still takes too long. I also need a proper bag but have not found the ideal solution yet.

Georg
I am still quite happy with the Sling-o-matic from think-tank.
It takes the S2 with one lens attached and 2 additional lenses plus somesmall things.
For a slingbag it carries pretty good (at least on my shoulders), it has a nice and big opening to get lenses and camera in and out, its pretty compact for what it carries, it feels like good protection, due to its rectangular shape you can also put it on the fllor and it stands pretty safe.
The only downside is that the 180 on the body does only fit in the bag when the hood is reversed.
I know that a normal backpack carries better but I feel so much easier to change lenses with a (rugged) sling back.

Even though I like shooting wide open I find myself also using f4 and f5.6 much more often lately and the images still show a really nice background blur (depending on distances).