The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

David K

Workshop Member
David I did not catch the upgrade to the top LCD...did it stop working?

Although I have a couple of other cameras around here I would miss the S2 severely if it were to spend much time in Solms.

Bob
I bought my S2 lightly used... but it was one of the earlier models released. It's not so much that the top LCD stopped working as that it was unreadable in sunlight... and I don't mean bright sunlight...if you were out of doors you couldn't see it. The new version is much more legible and is functional outside. I'm not entirely sure I would have sent it in for replacement but for the fact that the 120 macro needed to be sent in anyway.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Interesting...

My LCD is unreadable at 800AM in indirect light outside....

Guess I will wait until a major issue arrives and have it addressed at that point.

I will be interested in how you rate the new one when it arrives.

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
David,

I love the pictures from the Grand Mosque and all of the portraits at the beach on you flickr site...I also think the view of the Dubai Marina from Palm Island is one of the best in the series. I like how you maintained the highlights in the portraits in spite of what must have been severe light.

Bob

zoomstop

You are all to nice. I am telling you this camera is simply the best camera I have ever used.

Leica kept it simple, clean and useable from a photographers point of view. I loved my Nikon D3x and D3 but the Leica is simply amazing.

Simple menu configuration is what makes the camera so special for me. On my Nikon gear it would take my minutes to adjust something because of the menu system etc ( I know, I am a man, should have read the directions).

This camera is just simple and ez to use, I did not read any of the directions. :angel:

BTW the Leica glass is not bad either. :thumbs:

fotografz

It has been a while since I posted so wanted to share one from this Spring in Kyoto (ISO 640) with the 70 mm

Thank you,
Arif
www.arifiqball.com
http://blog.arifiqball.com
Nice. Love your images from Japan.

Looks like the brights/whites need a bit of taming in post on this one.

Also, if you didn't know, you can post images at 1200 pixel on the long side which shows off the medium format detail a little better.

All the best,

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Reunited with my S2 and 120mm macro after their trip to Solms. Leica NJ really went all out to get my kit back to me promptly... even had it delivered overnight on a Saturday. No shipping or insurance charges whatsoever. The lens appears to be working properly and the top OLED is night and day better than the old one. A major improvement and something I'd recommend doing if you can bear parting with your camera for a while.

That is great news David. I had Leica Solms check my top OLED and I can't tell really any difference although there could be a minor difference. Granted, mine was pretty good to begin with and it was considerably brighter yours before you sent it in for repair. I am glad to hear yours has been corrected.

H

HCHeyerdahl

You are all to nice. I am telling you this camera is simply the best camera I have ever used.

Leica kept it simple, clean and useable from a photographers point of view. I loved my Nikon D3x and D3 but the Leica is simply amazing.

BTW the Leica glass is not bad either. :thumbs:
David, very nice shots :)

I am currently using Nikons myself and considering a switch to the S2.

Two things keep me holding back and that is the ability to shoot hand held and high ISO (and current lack of zoom lens). I would really appreciate if you could share some thoughts from your experience.

Ah, and the lenses - Are you able to describe the difference?

Chris

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Chris, I shoot the Nikon D3S in addition to the S2 and I know several of the other S2 owners are Nikon shooters as well... I hope they will chime in with their experiences. To address your first issue... the S2 is well suited for hand held shooting in large part due to the ergos of the camera. If you are accustomed to shooting hand held with a pro Nikon body you will have no problem doing the same with the S2. Second question depends on what you mean by high ISO. The Nikon D3S is, IMHO, king of the hill for high ISO shooting and the S2 is not even in the same ballpark. If you've got decent light, ISO 640 will give good results... but if you're looking for ISO 6400, stick with Nikon :) I think the best Nikon glass is excellent, especially the zooms. But the Leica glass is simply superb. The images from the S2 are a quantum leap better than anything I get from my D3S and I personally know at least one D3X (and S2) shooter who would say the same. Take one for a test drive and I think you will see the difference immediately...

One caveat worth mentioning. If you're planning on getting several of the Leica lenses you may need to wait a while. They have been increasingly difficult (if not impossible) to get quickly.

woodyspedden

Reunited with my S2 and 120mm macro after their trip to Solms. Leica NJ really went all out to get my kit back to me promptly... even had it delivered overnight on a Saturday. No shipping or insurance charges whatsoever. The lens appears to be working properly and the top OLED is night and day better than the old one. A major improvement and something I'd recommend doing if you can bear parting with your camera for a while.
Congrats David, I am sure you feel a ton better now.

My 120mm was DOA (stuck aperture blades) but David Farkas got it back to Solms lickety split and I expect it back any day now. I love all the lenses (especially the 180) but am truly anxious to start shooting with the 120mm. It is a perfect FL for much of my shooting

So start posting some 120 shots so I get even more anxious!

Best

Woody

Whoops, I just got an email from David Farkas who says the 120 arrived from Solms today and is on its way to me. Guaranteed for delivery by end of day Thursday. I have more back surgery on Friday morning so probably won't get much chance to use it until next week.

Last edited:

PeterA

Lovely shot of baby!

Good to hear your S2 is back David and Woody do post your shots..

I bought one of these cameras a few months ago - weirdest thing I am still on the initial battery charge ( I do use a grip though ie two batteries) but this level of batter charge is up there with Nikon ( if not better)..not too many shots as I have ben busy @ work less than 1000 activations but a lot of chimping etc etc..

I am very pleased with performance of my CF/Cfe/Fe glass on this camera btw - but the Leica glass blows it away for ease of use ...wish I had a split screen to help manual focus ..

Can't wait for new lenses to come out - a wider wide would my first priority purchase along with a longer long...

should we feel bad because no 80 megapixel chip?:cry::D

H

HCHeyerdahl

Chris, I shoot the Nikon D3S in addition to the S2 and I know several of the other S2 owners are Nikon shooters as well... I hope they will chime in with their experiences. To address your first issue... the S2 is well suited for hand held shooting in large part due to the ergos of the camera. If you are accustomed to shooting hand held with a pro Nikon body you will have no problem doing the same with the S2. Second question depends on what you mean by high ISO. The Nikon D3S is, IMHO, king of the hill for high ISO shooting and the S2 is not even in the same ballpark. If you've got decent light, ISO 640 will give good results... but if you're looking for ISO 6400, stick with Nikon :) I think the best Nikon glass is excellent, especially the zooms. But the Leica glass is simply superb. The images from the S2 are a quantum leap better than anything I get from my D3S and I personally know at least one D3X (and S2) shooter who would say the same. Take one for a test drive and I think you will see the difference immediately...

One caveat worth mentioning. If you're planning on getting several of the Leica lenses you may need to wait a while. They have been increasingly difficult (if not impossible) to get quickly.
Thanks for your comments.

As for high ISO, I actually shoot a lot at 800 - 1600 due to low light conditions. Unfortunately, most users seem to agree that 640 is the upper limit for the S2, and I am a bit concerned this may be a bit on the low side for my hand held shooting. Prehaps i will just have to wait for the eventual S3 :)

Chris