The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Scott Tansey

Kurt,

I admire your work with the S2, especially the rugby series. I am fortunate to have the 120 Macro lens, and it is a beauty. I have been working on two projects with the lens: 1) a series of images from an overlook in Los Angeles and 2) taking close-ups with roses. All I can say is that lens is unbelievable at both ends of its focusing range. If there are problems with the images, it is with the photographer--not the equipment.

I also have the 70 and 35 lenses. I used the 35 primarily on a cruise to Scandinavia and the Baltics. I must say that the S2 has been the finest camera I have ever used.

Paratom

You really have to test the lenses in the exact same situation to see the differences ...and my experience could be just finding some great light . The real point was that the 70 wide open on the S2 has a DOF thats similar to the 50 summilux wide open (may not be exact ) and that the 70 can create some of the same type of selective focus .

So I think about the 70 /2.5 on the S2 as having my 50 summilux on the M9 ..which is pretty neat .
I agree Roger. Still I was surprized when I took some comparison shots in the closer range that the bokeh of the 50/1.4 semms even creamier than that of the 70/2.5. I dont know how I should say, the M lens seems very slightly warmer and smoother, the S lens slightly more "neutral" and just plain sharp.

David K

Workshop Member
Some folks shoot brick walls or newspapers when testing their lenses...too one dimensional for my taste. I prefer a more well rounded approach :D

Focus was on the edge of the bathing suit which is sharp but I think this lens tends to front focus a bit.

David, I like your test subjects. In this particular case the DOF is probably only 1"-2" so the least bit of photographer body sway could move the point of focus enough to look like a bias toward front focus. Perhaps you have more examples which are leading you to think lens is front focusing slightly versus body sway.

The thin DOF of MF has caused me to be much more aware of body sway. It was never much of a problem before except when using the Noctilux or Summilux wide open.

Lloyd

Some folks shoot brick walls or newspapers when testing their lenses...too one dimensional for my taste. I prefer a more well rounded approach :D

Focus was on the edge of the bathing suit which is sharp but I think this lens tends to front focus a bit.
From what I can tell, these are pretty good. I think if you post a couple dozen more we'd be able to get a better idea. :thumbup:

David K

Workshop Member
Mark, body sway is quite possibly the culprit, especially handheld on a boat. Probably ought to plant the camera on a tripod and test the lens properly. It's clear to me that the lens is tack sharp when properly focused. As you point out the DOF is incredibly shallow at fairly close distance. Here's one at f/11 from a distance and the entire house is sharp. A bit humbling to live in this area where some people's boat houses and stables are nicer than your home...

Lloyd, I'd post more if I had more but I was in Ninja stealth mode for that shot :)

atanabe

David,
Wouldn't this be a case of "back" focus?:D You are correct, that it is a lot less boring than a brick wall.

PeterA

Hi Peter

The best way to get rid of all your (wonderful) stuff is to pretend you are as poor as the rest of us! LOL

When I decided to go for the S2 (absolutely the right decision) I sold off my Nikon gear (D3X, D3 and a host of wonderful lenses), my M9 and again a host of wonderful lenses, Mamiya 7II, Hassy 501CM etc etc. The reason? I couldn't afford the S2 without doing so and I promised my wife I wouldn't add more money to get it (almost succeeded but not quite). So if you pretend you need the money, particularly if you are going to spring for the IQ 180, you won't agonize over selling the rest of the kit.

By the way, the only sale I regret in retrospect, is the M9 and the lenses I had. I sold it for the money but also because at my age and with my eyes I wasn't getting a good percentage of in-focus shots. However, I wish i still had it as the files were very MF like and nothing else I have seen comes close. So BE WARNED!

All the best my friend

Woody
I like your logic Woody !:)

David - I am thinking of moving down to your part of the US - the scenery looks outstanding!:ROTFL:

I am guessing that the 120 @ 2.5 is rendering like a 75 lux or 85 1.2L ..

For sure the 70 Summarit IMHO is an outstanding universal lens I am thinking that the 180 is my next purchase and am wondering what people have to say abotu hand holding at this focal length?

happy shooting everyone.

Pete

David K

Workshop Member
Very nice shots David... I especially like the mood you captured in the first one and the incongruity of what appears to be a paper coffee cup.

Paratom

I like your logic Woody !:)

David - I am thinking of moving down to your part of the US - the scenery looks outstanding!:ROTFL:

I am guessing that the 120 @ 2.5 is rendering like a 75 lux or 85 1.2L ..

For sure the 70 Summarit IMHO is an outstanding universal lens I am thinking that the 180 is my next purchase and am wondering what people have to say abotu hand holding at this focal length?

happy shooting everyone.

Pete
Pete,
I find handholding the 180 in daylight quite fine. The 180 IMO is a nice compromise between speed, size/weight.
The S2 is well damped and I guess also the weight and the good fit in my hands make it a camera which work (for me) very good handheld.
Tom

GMB

Thanks Kurt for your answer.

Woody, all the best.

Peter, I think the 180 is pretty good for handholding although if one goes to less than 125th I would use a monopod.

Here is another dog shot. It's a golden Flat Coated Retriever. Their only "official" colors are black and brown but there exist some golden ones as well. Shot with 180.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
David, lovely travel shots.

Scott, thanks for the compliment. If you have a chance, post some of your shots ... would love to see some of your shots from the Baltic region.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I know that the S2 was not the best camera to use for the next series of shots ... but I wanted to see what I could grab indoors in a poorly lit interior gym that was holding a women's roller derby tournament over the weekend. When they're advertising a women's roller derby tournament just down the road, you have to peek in to see what all the fuss is about. (It was a cool experience as there were teams from Canada and most of the states of the upper Midwest.)

All of these are with the 120mm at f2.5 and 1250 ISO. Knowing that I wasn't going to get a lot of stop action shots like I could get with something like a Nikon D3, I thought that I'd try to use slower speeds and high ISO to add a little grittiness to the photos.

Thanks for indulging me ...

Neat photos Kurt. I like the last one a lot. It strikes me because I probably would not have thought to take that shot with the skaters out of the plane of focus.

I too find myself using the S2 in situations where it is not the best tool. I do it simply because I want to challenge myself to see what I can get. I have the correct tool, but use the S2 anyway. It;s fun.

David K

Workshop Member
Always good to experiment Kurt... keeps one from getting stale. I think these shots have merit, especially the one's from the floor level perspective. My favorite is the one with the referee extending his arms. Can't help but wonder who would win a battle of the sexes... the rugby players or these gals :)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks Mark, I probably should have brought my monopod ... I need to spend some time with it to feel more comfortable using it in situations with low light.

Thanks David, kind of the opposite side of the spectrum from your bikini clad beach shots. ;) Some of these gals probably would have felt right at home on the rugby field ... they were fun to watch as they were athletic, tough and tattooed.