The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Lloyd

Really nice Kurt. Love that second one... here, and on the MF thread! Great shot, and great processing.

awslee

With all of the talk about how 35mm is now the new medium format ... I thought that I'd post a few recent shots in defense of the diminished quality of the S2. ;)

Kurt

Kurt, these are amazing photos with the S2!!!! Looking at these photos, you have got me itching for the S2, I think I will have to sell the Noct + more to fund this.;)

fotografz

Time to "Scratch The Itch" ... which will indeed require a lot of scratch :ROTFL: ... but worth every penny IMHO.

Kurt and others keep proving that this camera does a lot more than it seems.

BTW, I sold my Nocta 0.95 and while it was fun, I found I was using the 35mm DSLR and M9 less and less after getting the S2.

In fact, save a few rare applications, the only camera I really would need is the S2.

-Marc

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Uh oh....

Went to Photo Village and played with an S2. Best viewfinder I've ever seen. With glasses, I can see everything except the most extreme corners without moving my head around. Unprecedented on 35 or MF (except for waist level finders, of course).

VERY comfortable to hold. In fact, strangely difficult to let go of :rolleyes:. Much better balance with the 70/2.5 than a Canon 1Ds with, oh, anything.

Now I'll have to rent one and see if the absence of shifts is a problem for landscape and architecture, but damn, that's a fine piece of gear.

To be continued,

Matt

PS. You guys aren't helping! Beautiful work...

Last edited:

docmoore

There has been a whole lot of noise about MF and the new kids....

Here are a few from the S2-P

Small Lake Old Tree

Tough Being a Poikilotherm

New Growth

Bob

gogopix

Subscriber
ok, in the middle picture the turtle seems the focal point; was that with AF?

Bob, did you need to over-ride? or was this MF? In the last, you picked a nice FP, and the AF COULD have done it but only with center weighted or spot focus.

I have been waiting for Leica to offer cenetre or spot focus; they have the mechanism, as I understand that, with different FL lenses there is an algorithm that changes the weighting of the focus for different distances. They just need to write the software to offer a spot/center as they play with the focus photosites anyway.

Maybe it is just me, but when I tried the S2 vs the Contax AF, it was better, but stilkl not good, especially with a very detailed background; always the great focus on the trees in the background while the deer is nice and fuzzy right in the center! LOL

regards
Victor

docmoore

Hi Victor,

No all three with MF and actually a P67 300 lens on adapter.

While the Leica AF is good I do find I need to tweak it...but I always shoot MF with the user button for AF. Just to get me close or when the eyes are tired. And yes the DOF on these lenses is somewhat limited so that you can be off by a couple of feet...but may as well be a mile.

SO...I do bracket a bit when the subject allows it ...in hopes for a perfect focus point.

Bob

gogopix

Subscriber
Ok, I thought so... the focus looked too good, and composed and I fear that AF would not have gotten the focal plane where you wanted. I too found that I could naver AF with a lens over 80mm.

The 300 has a nice boket (is that the accepted spelling?) for mood images like these.
I like the touch of green in the first; nice that you have it in the center of focus! The splash of color, in focus, really enhances the image.

..and focus bracketing!!! You bet. Leica, are you listening?

regards
Victor

Paratom

ok, in the middle picture the turtle seems the focal point; was that with AF?

Bob, did you need to over-ride? or was this MF? In the last, you picked a nice FP, and the AF COULD have done it but only with center weighted or spot focus.

I have been waiting for Leica to offer cenetre or spot focus; they have the mechanism, as I understand that, with different FL lenses there is an algorithm that changes the weighting of the focus for different distances. They just need to write the software to offer a spot/center as they play with the focus photosites anyway.

Maybe it is just me, but when I tried the S2 vs the Contax AF, it was better, but stilkl not good, especially with a very detailed background; always the great focus on the trees in the background while the deer is nice and fuzzy right in the center! LOL

regards
Victor
The AF of my S2 works very accurate in most cases. So if anybody has to correct manually (for uncritical subjects) I would recommend to service the camera.

D&A

I really need to stop looking that this thread. No, really.
Trust me DN, after spending a day shooting it and examining the files that evening and beyond, I was trying to look up the biggest lottery jackpots each week, ever since. That was the easy part, finding what the winning #"s are going to be is another story...LOL! Too bad I just missed last weeks record Poweball. I was only 6 numbers off (out of a total of 6 numbers). Think I even have a chance? :)

Dave (D&A)

Double Negative

Not Available
LOL, you guys are too much... And so right. :)

Well, I might give the Canon 5D3/1Dx a chance but I'm starting to debate if it's even worth it. I've been unhappy with Canon's bodies for a couple of years now. I like my L glass, but now spoiled by the "good stuff." Might end up selling the whole enchilada. Hey, it would cover an S2 body... Then I'll have to use my Hassy lenses for a while. :p

D&A

LOL, you guys are too much... And so right. :)

Well, I might give the Canon 5D3/1Dx a chance but I'm starting to debate if it's even worth it. I've been unhappy with Canon's bodies for a couple of years now. I like my L glass, but now spoiled by the "good stuff." Might end up selling the whole enchilada. Hey, it would cover an S2 body... Then I'll have to use my Hassy lenses for a while. :p
It of course all depends what you shoot and your requirements. Until the D800, the Nikon DSLRs (same for other 35mm DSLR systems) would be necessary for the very fast moving and/or low light stuff, the MF digtial for the high resolution requirements, eespcially for detailed large format prints and the Leica rangefinder when absolute decrete and small body camera/lenses were requried without exception. Unfortunately each system was employed for specific requirements that at best could only be partially fulfilled by another. Once some of those strict requirements are relaxed or not necessarily needed, some of these systems could be employed for double duty and at least one system can be let go of . It always comes down to "decisions, decisions"...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

+1.

The Pentax 645D is my all-round camera for landscapes, documentary, low-light, and studio photography. I have always used large cameras and I have found they are just as discreet as their smaller cousins. I actually replaced a bunch of stuff including my Mamiya 6s with the 645D. I think the S2 could be a similar move for you.

Arn't you glad we are here to help. I would not even think about getting married...