The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
GMB ... all very nice images, but I love the second one you posted. Beautiful people, colors, emotion and bokeh all in one image.

gogopix

Subscriber
GMB...a nice image array showing the flexibility of the S2. I like your travel 'eye' and variety!

I do most of my shooting while traveling, and am curious what percentage of the time you find the auto focus grabs the point you want. Coming from MF Contax and RF MF, I have tried the S2 a few times and it is better, but I still hear the "I mostly use MF" from the pros.

That said, I also hear that the AF has improved with the firmware changes (I still want spot AF!!!)

I am off to Italy for a trek, with the S2 (I am leaning in that direction) and wondered how often the AF would suffice. On previous trips, for landscape and pano I found better performance with focus at infinity (NOT hyperfocal distance; it works in therory, but as Robert has shown here a number of times, HF distance can be a poor compromise, esp for wider lenses.)

Anyway, just curious. I tend toward MF out of habit (doing this for over 60 years! :rolleyes: ) but sometimes the AF is needed to get a fleeting image.

reagrds
Victor

fotografz

GMB...a nice image array showing the flexibility of the S2. I like your travel 'eye' and variety!

I do most of my shooting while traveling, and am curious what percentage of the time you find the auto focus grabs the point you want. Coming from MF Contax and RF MF, I have tried the S2 a few times and it is better, but I still hear the "I mostly use MF" from the pros.

That said, I also hear that the AF has improved with the firmware changes (I still want spot AF!!!)

I am off to Italy for a trek, with the S2 (I am leaning in that direction) and wondered how often the AF would suffice. On previous trips, for landscape and pano I found better performance with focus at infinity (NOT hyperfocal distance; it works in therory, but as Robert has shown here a number of times, HF distance can be a poor compromise, esp for wider lenses.)

Anyway, just curious. I tend toward MF out of habit (doing this for over 60 years! :rolleyes: ) but sometimes the AF is needed to get a fleeting image.

reagrds
Victor
Hi Victor,

Don't know if this will help in any way, but I discovered something about the S2 while shooting weddings, and posted it on Red Dot where it apparently has made a difference for a few other S2 shooters. It seems to help a lot in achieving faster focus and less focus errors.

"Here's a tip regarding the S2 that takes note of how the camera works. When you turn on the S2, the lens starts up and sets itself at the focus distance you last used. If it was @ 5', then the lens sets itself to 5'. Now, for those that have used a manual focus system in past, one effective technique was to set the focus at infinity prior to a shot because for most images (other than close-ups), the lens has less distance to travel to achieve focus. If you have a lens with distance markings like a M optic, look at how they progressively get closer and closer covering greater distances as you approach infinity.

So, one technique that can improve AF speed is to manually set the focus to infinity before you turn on the camera. If a subject is moving toward you, the lens only has one way to travel as the subject successively gets closer. It isn't traveling from a close setting to a farther one and maybe over-shoots it and has to return (hunting) ... it is simply faster to move from infinity for a great majority of shots.

Try it. With practice, it's pretty revealing."

-Marc

gogopix

Subscriber
Marc,
That makes a lot of sense; I'll try it!
BTW, sometimes the hardest critics uncover the best results, and I had watched your struggles, and then accommodation then support of the S2. Seeing the images you get didn't hurt!

Anyway, thanks for sharing. As I said, all the numbers and pixel peeping aside, when pros and serious photographers just get satisfying, and sometimes darn impressive results, it can't all be skill...must be something in the equipment that's working! :salute:

Thx again
Victor

Paratom

reagrds
Victor
Victor,
I now have the microprism screen in my S2 but in 90% of subjects/situations the Af works more reliable than my eyes with manual focus.
For anything not moving I find the AF very precise for most subjects, and I feel I do know which subjects could be tricky for the AF.
Regards, Tom

Thank you all for the comments

I have S2 approximately half a year. I bought it from CEH. I also have 35mm 70mm and 120mm to it. I have brought quite a lot of material from Ethiopia. I'll add another photos soon but I have to edit them first.

I do mostly portraits of people and before Leica S2 I had A900 where I used Zeiss 24-70mm 2,8 + Zeiss 135mm 1,8, Zeiss 16-35mm 2,8. I've recently sold system A900. I know comparing these two systems is not fair but I've been photographing with A900 for 2 years.

I shoot 98% of pictures with almost opened aperture. All lenses 35mm, 70mm and 120mm are excelent at this, detail 1:1 is incredible. I'll be printing a lot of photographs at big format and I'm looking forward to it. That was the main reason I bought Leica S2.

Everything was shot in a natural light in Ethiopia, most of the time in shadow. Balancing white in shadow – expressing the skin colour is amazing. S A900 had sometimes big problem with it.

In A900 I wasn't satisfied with the result on sharp sunlight(morning and evening), there was always something disturbing with colours. Leica S2 is handling it perfectly. Colours are flawless and DR is superb.

I was really pleasantly surprised with ISO 640, I'll add some photos later.

Photographing with S2 requires a whole different approach – autofocus in the centre- tripod in ethiopia is used in 50%

I'm highly satisfied with the system after my trip to Ethiopia.

The first four photos are 120 mm
There is Exif in all the pictures.
Java, would you mind telling us a little more about your technique (your photographs are terrific). For instance, are you using the autofocus in these portraits and recomposing, or are you using manual focus. And, are these tripod shots? (They look to be handheld, but thought I'd ask.)

gogopix

Subscriber
Well, the Bay of Naples can be pretty misty, yet this is a quite typical scene from The cliffs above Sorrento.

S2 70mm.
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
and another I liked from one of our treks into the valleys on th Amalfi coast (many paper mills, a while ago! :)

RVB

Hi all,first post here from an S2 owner,I was drawn to this superb thread and figured I may as well throw a couple of snaps into the mix...

the 2nd one is nothing much but I thought it was a good display of the S70mm performance,very sharp..(although I doubt you could tell from an online jpeg..)

Rob

f 10

Hi all,first post here from an S2 owner,I was drawn to this superb thread and figured I may as well throw a couple of snaps into the mix...

the 2nd one is nothing much but I thought it was a good display of the S70mm performance,very sharp..(although I doubt you could tell from an online jpeg..)

Rob
The first picture is still made ​​in Schevening, right?