The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

menos

Although a 55mm equivalent focal length lens is a must have in its kit I'm not completely sold on the 70mm but the 120mm is a dream lens, here's a mix of both (don't know how the details & color will survive the jpeg/internet/forum compression...)

Beautiful series!

peterv

Although a 55mm equivalent focal length lens is a must have in its kit I'm not completely sold on the 70mm ...
Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the 70 mm.

Little test shot between IQ180 & S2 on monopod to check lens drawing ...
So, what are your preliminary conclusions?

PS: Guys, please stop quoting the images over and over again ...

peterv

... we will see a higher res S body in the not too distant future and it will probably have a cmosis sensor,the cmosis sensor in the new M is supposed to be very good and by the time Leica add one to the S they will have fine tuned the performance ..
I know this Cmosis-scenario is kind of like the S-forums general consensus on the roadmap of a future S sensor, but I really do wonder if Leica will go that route, the S being the flagship camera and all. Question is, does this little factory in Antwerp build better sensors than the likes of Truesense, Dalsa, Toshiba and last but not least Sony? We always hear they are able to make relatively small amounts, which was needed for the M and that certainly will be the case for the S. But do they make the 'best' sensor?

One more reason why I don't think this upscaled M Cmosis sensor is likely to happen is that this would yield ~ 37 MP. Though there are some that would be fine with so much resolution, I guess the market will be expecting more progress if Leica introduces a new S sensor at say, Photokina 2014, six years after the announcement of the S2. Which brings up another question: Should they go for better high ISO, higher resolution, or a compromise?

I know, it's all speculation, but I do think it's of paramount importance for the future of the S-line that Leica choose a next generation sensor very carefully, not based on what's available at Cmosis, or what they are familiar with. And also that S users think about their preferred future options and make their thoughts and expectations known to Leica.

Last edited:

anGy

Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the 70 mm.

So, what are your preliminary conclusions?

PS: Guys, please stop quoting the images over and over again ...
Each & every (good) picture taken with the 120mm is beautiful, crystal clear, with lots of micro contrast in the sharp areas and lovly smooth, natural bokeh in the oof areas. It gives a waouw efffect when discovering the pic on a big screen.
I don't feel that waouw effect with the 75mm. Pictures are also very good but sharpness and bokeh (also due to a shorter focal lens obviously) are less impressive. That really need to be checked of course as I only made around 100 pictures with the S2.

Comparing the S2 with the IQ is not that difficult, these are 2 quite different systems. Wraping it up shortly in english isn't. Maybe I'll try to make a detailed summary.
As an executive summary I would just say that the S2 is a clear winner for me when using the systems without tripod. The Phase One DF camera lacks ergonomics and IQ180 need to leave it's native iso and loses its image quality advantages.
But God this image quality is stellar @ native iso35. And when used with a tripod the DF camera becomes easy to use and a non issue.
In a studio for instance the Phase system produces richer, tonaly more detailled pictures with more dynamic range and zero noise.

aCIDfire

Hi, I´am new to MF world with my S2:) Here are some of my first shots taken
with this great camera and 120/2.5:)

f/5.6

f/4

Last edited:

stephan_w

ok let's join this thread with some pictures (I hope you don't mind some soft nude picutres in this landscape thread).

S2 with Summarit 70

PS: will have to check how the pictures can be seen fully

Last edited:

fotografz

Haven't posted for a while, so here are a few random S2 shots from this summer's vacation. We rented a large old 1880s house in Saugatuck, Michigan and brought along the whole family ... so most "alone photo time" was relegated to early AM before the gang all woke up.

I usually shoot people in most every shot, but this time I decided to break with that and do some studies of this bustling resort town on Lake Michigan when it isn't bustling. We've been to this town so many times that I almost didn't take anything more than a P&S.

Fog is fun!

- Marc

Last edited:

pesto

Marc,
You are lucky to live where there is such beautiful fog, all we have been seeing down here in paradise is rain on top of more rain on top of ...
I really like the second image in this set, it is beautifully done.

Douglas Benson

fotografz

Exquisite as usual, Marc. What lens for the first shot, the flowers?
Thank you.

I usually do not shoot many flowers, but I had the Hasselblad HC100/2.2 bolted on when took my little doggie for a morning stroll and took this snap.

A little of the 110/2 FE character with this lens ... I usually use it for portraits especially the ladies ... or with the Hasselblad HTS/1.5 for product shots. Quite sharp when stopped down.

However, you do have to watch out for CA on the 100.

- Marc

fotografz

Marc,
You are lucky to live where there is such beautiful fog, all we have been seeing down here in paradise is rain on top of more rain on top of ...
I really like the second image in this set, it is beautifully done.

Douglas Benson
Thanks Douglas.

There was fog because it had rained all night, and just stopped when I went out and got that shot you like ... then it started raining agin. The S is well sealed, so rain is not a terrible deterrent. Get out there and take some photos! ;)

- Marc

nikonf

Lovely images!
I have been thinking about dumping my H4D and lenses and going with Leica S. I don't like Hasselblad's direction.
What is your take?
Did you switch to Leica-S?

Thanks,
Mike
Haven't posted for a while, so here are a few random S2 shots from this summer's vacation. We rented a large old 1880s house in Saugatuck, Michigan and brought along the whole family ... so most "alone photo time" was relegated to early AM before the gang all woke up.

I usually shoot people in most every shot, but this time I decided to break with that and do some studies of this bustling resort town on Lake Michigan when it isn't bustling. We've been to this town so many times that I almost didn't take anything more than a P&S.

Fog is fun!

- Marc

fotografz

Lovely images!
I have been thinking about dumping my H4D and lenses and going with Leica S. I don't like Hasselblad's direction.
What is your take?
Did you switch to Leica-S?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I'll keep this as brief as possible since it is an image thread:

At one time I had a H4D/40 and H4D/60. I was offered a good deal on a new S2P and given a week to test one before buying. I compared H4D/40 images side-by-side and determined it was worth switching for a few reasons: More mobile and convenient form factor which promotes taking with; simple fast controls; and the lenses are stellar as you'd expect from Leica (not to mention they are all pretty fast max apertures for MFD); and the S system is a dual shutter camera that syncs to 1/1000 or goes up to 1/4000 focal plane ... which the H doesn't do ... so it is more versatile and a joy to use.

I kept the H4D/60 while I had a commercial need for files that big, then semi-retired and also sold that. I kept the HC100/2.2 and HTS/1.5 which I use on the S2P via the Leica made H-to S adapter. I also kept the HC50-II for a while but eventually sold it (it was quite good on the S2).

So far haven't missed the H kit although I did like working with it ... however, I agree with you regarding the direction Hasselblad seems to have taken. Not sure MFD is a priority with them at all now, and their energy and treasure is being spent on the dubious "blinging and branding" of Sony stuff. While I do not blame them for looking elsewhere for profit since so many camera categories are bleeding red ink, I think what they did is a mistake, and the marketing communications are monumental exaggerations that parasitically feed off a more storied past.

- Marc