The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

After receiving a new CS45/2.8 and wanting to give it a quick whirl, I wandered out into our yard that's in process of being liberated from the most brutal winter I can recall.

To my surprise, a few stubborn fall leaves had held on through the gale force winds and bitter blizzards that beat every thing else into submission. Brave little leaves that just wanted one more whiff of sunlight and warmth before being ejected by the fresh buds of Spring.

Wonderful lens with its' perfectly round OOF specular highlights. A candidate for most favored focal length in the S pantheon. Full shot and crop: S2-P @ 1/750; CS45/2.8 @ f/3.4, ISO 320

-Marc

(click pics to enlarge)

reflectedlights

What doc said...leagues above me.

I have the 70mm was thinking of getting a wider angle. 30 vs 35mm? I hear the Elmarit is a better lens than Summarit, but of course a 1/2 stop difference. Any insight from those in the know? Architecture, landscape etc. is the target.

Last edited:

fotografz

I have the 70mm was thinking of getting a wider angle. 30 vs 35mm? I hear the Elmarit is a better lens than Summarit, but of course a 1/2 stop difference. Any insight from those in the know? Architecture, landscape etc. is the target.
"Better than" is splitting hairs at the nano level. All these lenses are superlative.

How wide is a personal call. I have the CS35/2.5 because I shoot mostly people and do not like to get any wider than that (28mm in 35mm format terms) when photographing groups. The 30mm (24mm in 35mm format terms) would be a touch wide for that, and distort people on the end a bit too much for me.

The 30mm may be good for your applications … you could shoot a little loose on the crop and allow room for PC corrections in post.

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

I really do love the rendering of the CS45, very cool FL too. Beautiful light, very nice pics Marc.

Robert, I have a special affinity for the Stearman biplane as I'm rated to fly one. It's a gentle, forgiving aircraft with loads of character. I can smell the castor oil now...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I really do love the rendering of the CS45, very cool FL too. Beautiful light, very nice pics Marc.

Robert, I have a special affinity for the Stearman biplane as I'm rated to fly one. It's a gentle, forgiving aircraft with loads of character. I can smell the castor oil now...
Almost bought one in the late 80's ... succumbed to reason...nothing like a PW/Jacobs leaking oil on the tarmac.....

Great plane one of my favorites...now the Beech 17 Staggerwing....

Another life perhaps....

Bob

Paratom

I own boths (bought the 30 used after I had the 35 from beginning) and my plan was to decide for one. Its still hard. I prefer the 35 as a flexible lens for indoors handheld and for people shots when 70 is to tight.
The 30 however is IMO the more interesting addition to 70 for landscape showing a little more wide abgle chracter and fitting the scene in a frame.
I would assume 30 being also better for architecture. As Marc said it would also allow to do some cropping for perspective correction.
optically I am happy with both and also with the 45 a lot.
I might sell my 35 since I now have 45 for that enviromentel portraits and people stuff.
The problem is I often bring the S outside on hikes and walks and usually dont like carrying more than 2 lenses. One normal or tele lens and one wideangle.
ans sometimes I feel I could need both , 45 and 30. And for those times I still sometimes bring the 35.
Ma fav focal length however is 45 at the moment.

baudolino

Have started using the S2 again a bit more, after about a year of taking the M with me everywhere. This is a panorama stitch made from 5 images, using the 70 mm Summarit. Wolfgangsee in Salzkammergut, Austria.

docmoore

All the CMOS to CCD discussions are playing out and the usual sky is falling for the future of MF mindset is being suggested...I suspect that many hope to reinvigorate this segment of the market with the new new CMOS units.

Higher ISO, Liveview and I have heard more robust files are in store for those who make the change.

As one who is not sensitive to commercial trends - shoot for enjoyment not income I fall into the camp that has favored the present CCD look. From the Nikon D 70 to a Canon 1D through the Leica Ms and Phase one/Hasselblad/Leica S2-P backs I have learned how to work with the look and texture of the files ... and I do have CMOS cameras which perform well also.

Assuming that the newer S camera from Leica to be an adequate upgrade from my previous S2-P I took advantage of the discount and now am learning the new Leica S Type 006. Should the newer CMOS version match this then I may think about changing in the distant future...the only thing that would make me run to the bank would be a Monochrom S...

So here are a few shots from the camera after unpacking it this afternoon...nothing special just getting reacquainted with the system. Did I mention that I like the color?

Leica S 70 2.5 CS

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Bob
you take wonderful photographs
Just sayin'
I am humbled that you find something in my posts that is of value!

Pray that the grand baby is well and you all are enjoying a blessed Spring.

Thank you for the gracious comments ... and your joyous presence on this site...

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

Chasing the light in the garden this morning....

Leica S Type 006 70 2.5 CS

Leica S Type 006 70 2.5 CS ISO 800

Thanks,

Bob