The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Yeah, he never talked much about it.

As a kid, I recall rummaging through a big chest in the attic, and found a couple of Bomber caps; one tan and one black, which I assume were for daylight and nighttime. That is when I was told by my Uncle that Dad was a tail gunner in a B-29.

Down in the bottom of the chest was a Purple Heart medal. He never said a thing.

After the War he became a Detroit Firefighter, provided for six kids, and was a fireman until he retired due to on the job injuries.

Some acts are hard to follow.

- Marc
This is why they are referred to as "the greatest generation"

peterv

Peterv,
Here you can download a raw file of the 24mm @ f5,6.
A boring shot but my usual wide angle test scene.

The 24 Super-Elmar is amazing, better to my eyes than a Schneider Digitar 35mm on a Cambo with a Phase One P40+ back for instance (on sharpness & color homogeneity).

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/749b8844-1927-4072-8670-38647ed0fe56/uUIFwBEoQpQyC0pDGqqevA2
anGy,
thank you so much for the speedy reply. I brought the file into LR and applied my usual S2 settings. The results look very familiair (I have the 70 and 120) just much, much wider. :)
Corner to corner, sharpness is amazing. And this is @ 5,6 ... Contrast and color is very much what I've come to expect from the S lenses. At this aperture vignetting looks to be completely absent.
The price is quite close to the 30-90, which makes it a tough decision, really.
Thanks again, if you have the time, and feel like sharing some more, please do.

anGy

You're welcomed Peterv,
I think this lens optics are exceptional. I've downgraded my system from an IQ180 with Cambo and Rodenstock 32mm. Very high level system but with annoying trade-off, even on the image quality side (color cast to be removed with sometimes color de-saturation issues, corner sharpness visibly lower than on center on large prints when shifting, etc).
I've been very positively surprised by the S2 system. The 120mm is a gem, never saw such beautiful, pure, elegant image drawing before. And the outstanding corner resolution of the 24mm is another stunning surprise. Of course it's a lot easier to hold top resolution in the corner with a small, low resolution sensor than on a big high res IQ180. But this maybe shows how Leica was right in designing the S2.

The 24mm is a 19mm equivalent and that's really wide. On the other side it's very useful for architecture (to reduce keystone effect I prefer to keep the lens almost leveled and crop the ground) and to create some dramatic view panoramas.

It would be interesting to compare the 24 with the zoom lens although it's hard to imagine the zoom to hold its corner as well as the 24. And the new soon to be announced S will be more demanding for sure.

PeterA

Some landscaping work I am doing at my farm - making a Pond and 'great lawn'

Leica S Zeiss 40/4 CFE IF

All the best
Pete

RVB

https://flic.kr/p/neKXv4

S45mm CS.. I've shot this image before but this is unusual as its rare to see the yellow lightbulbs on this bridge,apparently the last time they used them was four years ago..

The bridge is called the "Skinny bridge" and is on the river Amstel in the Dam..

Rob

fotografz

Rob, love the cool/warm contrast.

I recently got the S45/2.8 CS and was stunned by the IQ of this lens. Since 35mm is my favorite focal length on a 35mm camera, this lens promises to become a "go to" favorite. Love it!

- Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Usually don't share my portraiture ... but could not resist..:ROTFL:

Leica S Typ 006 70 2.5 CS

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Some landscaping work I am doing at my farm - making a Pond and 'great lawn'

Leica S Zeiss 40/4 CFE IF

All the best
Pete
Damn Pete,

All the toys in OZ are big...and I live in the Republic of Texas.

Love it.

Here a pond and 5 head of cattle qualify for farm exemption of taxes...essentially a drop of a factor of 10 in property tax...many of my neighbors have cattle meeting the postman at the door. :ROTFL:

Want to see the finished project!

And nice to see you back on the forum...been a while.

Bob

RVB

Rob, love the cool/warm contrast.

I recently got the S45/2.8 CS and was stunned by the IQ of this lens. Since 35mm is my favorite focal length on a 35mm camera, this lens promises to become a "go to" favorite. Love it!

- Marc
HI Marc,I spoke with Lloyd Chambers about this lens before I bought it and he shrewdly predicted that the extra element (compared to the 35mm) and slight drop in speed was a sign that this lens would be a stellar performer,even by S standards..

I am very happy with it,considering the Zoom now for portability ,it's nice to be able to put a body and one lens in a bag and have most scenes covered.

The only Trouble I have doing night shots is getting clinically sharp focus,and the introduction of live view on the next S would be tempting for this reason alone providing the colour rendering doesn't suffer.. (I have to say the H4D AF is more accurate at night)

I'm considering bring a Macbook pro next time for tethered shooting,this would be nearly as good as live view if a little more inconvenient,and cheaper than a new S ;-)

Rob

anGy

Some others (still 24mm only) of the WWII remains, always submerged by the mot respectful feelings when visiting those places.

peterv

Interesting black & whites anGy! Last month, I wachted 'saving private Ryan' again and these days I'm binge-watching 'the second worldwar in HD color'. The sheer magnitude of this terrible event, I find almost impossible to comprehend.

Marc, Rob, could you eleborate a bit on why you find the 45 so stunning? Such a classification coming from you guys, who own quite a few S lenses, must really mean someting ...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I haven't posted many shots lately so I thought that I'd add a few to the cue. When using the S2, I've been mostly using it to document the people and the life in the narrow barrio streets and alleyways here in Manila.

PeterA

Damn Pete,

All the toys in OZ are big...and I live in the Republic of Texas.

Love it.

Here a pond and 5 head of cattle qualify for farm exemption of taxes...essentially a drop of a factor of 10 in property tax...many of my neighbors have cattle meeting the postman at the door. :ROTFL:

Want to see the finished project!

And nice to see you back on the forum...been a while.

Bob
Hi there Bob - loving your photos mate - keep posting!
I've been busy building a new home over the last year or so having embraced middle age with a gusto - I have been to my offices in Melbourne maybe (only) 7 times this Calendar year - great to be able to just take off and do 'stuff' - the troops can do their stuff- frankly I am over 16 hour days staring at Bloomberg screens..

As for photography - it has had to take a back seat for a while as I have been occupied with farm activities chopping wood planting trees and keeping foxes at bay..

Thanks for your kind words - I'll post some of my 'journal' diary stuff and contribute to the thread with pics from down under - you and others are doing such a good job !

I don't have any S lenses except for the magnificent 70mm - so far I am very happy with the 40 CFE IF I picked up from Marc Williams - years ago - it is a cracker of a lens. I'll try the 180 / 150 / 120MacroPlanar and of course the 100FE 2 and post.

Pete

docmoore

...I have been occupied with farm activities chopping wood planting trees and keeping foxes at bay..

Pete
Pete,

Foxes are favored around our house as we have nothing at risk from their presence..they represent all that is wild, good and in a sense beautiful within our limited sphere...

Feed daily from a community bowl on the back porch...

Here are a couple of pics from the weekend...

Leica S Typ 006 70 2.5 CS

Looking forward to your posts.....

And I have only the 70 CS

Bob

docmoore

I don't have any S lenses except for the magnificent 70mm - so far I am very happy with the 40 CFE IF I picked up from Marc Williams - years ago - it is a cracker of a lens. I'll try the 180 / 150 / 120MacroPlanar and of course the 100FE 2 and post.

Pete

Pete,

I am amazed that Marc gave up one of the best of the older Hasselblad lenses...the 40 CFE is legendary...at least in the company of my peers...

The other lens that is a standout is the 100FE 2.0 little matches it.....

New house...new focus all good...amazing how our previous world prospers without our constant oversight and input.

Warm regards,

Bob

docmoore

I haven't posted many shots lately so I thought that I'd add a few to the cue. When using the S2, I've been mostly using it to document the people and the life in the narrow barrio streets and alleyways here in Manila.

Kurt....

You set the bar at such a high level...

These portraits show such dignity and strength of character...there is a quiet deeply spiritual quality in the majority of these portraits...seems like the more mean the circumstance the more profound the faith.

And alway nice to see your world ...

Regards,

Bob

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the kind comment, Bob. The people here are amazing. I honestly feel more welcome in the neighborhoods of the barrios I walk than many of the streets I wandered down in the west. I'm in awe of the strength, resilience and zest for life that I encounter each day ... they continue to teach me a lot about myself.