The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

topoxforddoc

Roger Daltrey - The WHO Hits 50 at the Birmingham NIA, UK on December 7th this year
Not sure how many rock photographers use a S006 - the pit isn't the normal S territory :)

S006 70/2.5 S

aDam007

Few quick S questions if you all don't mind.

1) For tack sharp images, what shutter speed would you recommend with 120/70/35? 2xF or more??

2) Raw + JPG writing (one to CF other to SD). Did anyone ever figure out if it writes the RAW then from the RAW creates the JPG. Or are they saved independently of each other (think fotographz was trying to figure this out due to an SD/CF corruption).

3) Would SD formatter third party software for M240 also work on the S?

4) How do people feel about the performance of the 45 vs 35. From what I've read briefly it's better. What about it is better? How's the closer focusing performance of the two lenses?

5) Can anyone comment on the quality of the 45/2.8 Contax645 and 140/2.8 Contax645 lens vs the Leica counterparts? From a portrait perspective, not a landscape one.

6) Who's owned and sold their S-system due to not liking it?

Paratom

1) For tack sharp images, what shutter speed would you recommend with 120/70/35? 2xF or more??

I try to use 1/250 when possible, but thats mainly due to my kids and not camera shake. Overall I find the slap of mirror really well damped. I had longer exposure times like 1/30 or 1/60 which led to images which I found ok.

2) Raw + JPG writing (one to CF other to SD). Did anyone ever figure out if it writes the RAW then from the RAW creates the JPG. Or are they saved independently of each other (think fotographz was trying to figure this out due to an SD/CF corruption).

3) Would SD formatter third party software for M240 also work on the S? I dont know

4) How do people feel about the performance of the 45 vs 35. From what I've read briefly it's better. What about it is better? How's the closer focusing performance of the two lenses? I feel (only a feeling never did any comparison) the 45 to have maybe slightly more "pop", saturation and contrast. But I never missed anything in images form the 35. The 45 is a little longer and heavier - in this regard I prefer the 35. I would probably decide based on focal lengths.

5) Can anyone comment on the quality of the 45/2.8 Contax645 and 140/2.8 Contax645 lens vs the Leica counterparts? From a portrait perspective, not a landscape one. Sorry, never used the Contax lenses but I use the S-lenses for images of my kids and find the Leica S lenses to render very nice, they are sharp, but with a nice bokeh and a gentle rolloff.

I wish some of the lenses (for example the 45) were a little smaller and lighter. Thats about it what I do not like...ah-and the price)

fotografz

3) Would SD formatter third party software for M240 also work on the S?

4) How do people feel about the performance of the 45 vs 35. From what I've read briefly it's better. What about it is better? How's the closer focusing performance of the two lenses?

5) Can anyone comment on the quality of the 45/2.8 Contax645 and 140/2.8 Contax645 lens vs the Leica counterparts? From a portrait perspective, not a landscape one.

IMO ...

1) Tack sharp at what viewing distance? The acuity of these lenses is beyond question, so to get the absolute best usually means a tripod, and mirror up ... followed by a monopod and at least 1.5XF. The 120/2.5 and 180/3.5 are a handful when shot hand-held, so the highest shutter speed possible is recommended. I use a Camadapter hand-strap with a dual lug ARCA type Quick Release so I can also have a shoulder strap. That helps a lot with hand-held work, and allows swift mounting/unmounting to a mono-pod (I also use a RRS HD mono-pod head rather than a L bracket).

2) Still don't know.

3) Personally, I wouldn't do it. I believe the SD Society (or some such name I can't recall) offers an "official" SD formatter. I would just buy new SD cards for the S, format them in camera and keep them segregated and dedicated.

4) I have both lenses in CS versions. The 45 is a standout lens but quite frankly we are splitting nano hairs here when comparing the S35 and S45 ... or any of the S Primes. I find that I gravitate to the 35 for "environmental portraits" and use it a lot for group shots and interior people shots ... where I tend to select the 45 when just carrying one lens while walking about (just like I carry a lone 35mm lens on my MM and A7R).

5) I owned both Contax lenses and feel they were fine on the Contax 645 using film and/or a less demanding digital back. The 140 would probably be a fine lens for S portraits because of its character ... but I personally like the S120/2.5 better. I do not think the C45mm is optically in the same class as the S45, but it sure is smaller.

- Marc

aDam007

Hi Marc, thanks for responding in depth.

1) Fair enough. I suppose I should have said the following. I shoot my 5D3 with 35/50 at 125th and get perfect results. The 85 is good on 180th but best on 250th. I'm shooting mainly portraits, so ideally speaking I want this camera for its "portability" I dislike tripods and monopods. Will this be a problem for me? Will I find that I'm shooting the 70mm at 500th and still getting blur from the shutter/mirror. I guess "acceptable" is relative, but something that's good, even for a pixel peeper.
RRS HD mono-pod head - Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it...

2) Seriously, why hasn't anyone called Leica about this?

3) Yeah I have SD Formatter, used it a few times for the M240, didn't make much of a speed difference. I'll just get a few dedicated cards I suppose. How many other people had the same issues you did so far? It's pretty isolated right?

4) Ok, I don't need both lenses, and if both are great, then I'll just go for the one that suits me better FL wise.. I suppose 45/100 or 35/70.

5) Good to know. I'm a bit scared though that you're calling the C45 SMALLER then the S45.. Yikes, I haven't seen it, but how big is it?!

M

mjr

aDam007

I bought in to the S system a few months back, it's a system that has to work for me and earn money, it's a business tool and if it didn't work out it would be replaced immediately. That said, it is by far the best camera I have ever used, both from a functionality and image quality stand, it is an absolute pleasure to use.

I have found the 70mm to be very sharp hand held at normal speeds, perfectly sharp at 100th with good technique, I use strobes with portrait work so less of an issue for me but the 100mm is an amazing lens. For personal work I shoot pretty much always on a tripod so have no problems, I love the 2 second timer as it lifts the mirror straight away then shoots, excellent.

I have come from tech cams to an extensive Nikon kit and even though I still own some Nikon stuff it never gets used, the Leica does everything, I am even preferring to stitch with the 70 rather than use a wider lens on the D800E.

I am working on building my kit, I bought the 70 and 100 straight away as they are my most used focal lengths commercially, I have decided to go next for the 45mm and will follow with the 30mm, for me that would cover everything.

I was very close to buying the Otus lenses for the Nikon but on trying the S I was blown away, viewfinder, ergonomics, everything, I may sound like a fanboy but I promise you, if it didn't work I would be out straight away but I love it, it makes me want to shoot all the time.

Have fun if you go for it, for what I do it's the perfect camera.

Mat

aDam007

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the informative response. When it comes to Leica we're all fanboys a little bit. To be honest, I'm using the M system right now for work. With the odd Canon shoot here and there.

I have an idea of how I'd like to use the camera system, but I think user experience is tops for me. Since most of the time IQ requirements are met with cameras that are 10 years old. I use the M240 cameras because I just love the user experience more then anything. And I've gotten so use to RF focusing, that I'm fast enough for my needs.

With that said, the idea is to ween myself off the M system a little bit, by way of the S system. If it doesn't happen, I guess I'll just sell it off and go back to the M + Canon. BTW when I mean ween, I just mean that I want to be happy enough with another system, that I'm less reliant on the M system for work.. And so I end up using it as more of a personal small camera.

You guys all seem to love your systems. And I've talked to a few people who sold their s-systems but have nothing but good things to say about it.

I've used it briefly in Singapore for a test shoot (S006 old firmware), and honestly I hated it. But it wasn't because of the system, or the end results. Mostly it was because of the level of hype the system was given by the people who lent it to me. I was under the impression it was a sports camera the way these reps were talking. Going on about using it for Polo playing, Racing, Indoor sports.. By god my Canon 1Dx can't even keep up with some of the polo ponies I shoot! So when I tested the camera with a simple bridal shoot, I found myself struggling to get people in focus while they walked towards me. I ended up having to rely on manual focusing. Which in turn made me just put the camera away and pull out my M240.. But that was more a matter of me not being mentally prepared to deal with the shortcomings of the system.

Brings me to my last question..

Has anyone used the Split Screen? I've seen a video, looks great. Wondering about it's real world usage. I had one in my film camera YEARS ago, and enjoyed it.

Thanks again for all the attention!