The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Stuart Richardson

You could use B22, which has the large screw and is just a square plate. I just took that off my hasselblad and tried that and it works fine too, but then you have the orientation in the different direction (the clamp would face to either the left or right, instead of in front...
This could also work I guess: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Sho...2/MPR-73-3-8ths-73mm-rail-with-3-8-screw.html

I wish you could still look at all their plates...now they try to do it by camera which makes it hard to find the right one if you are trying to use a non-standard configuration.

aDam007

It's silly that they won't make a simple square or rectangle S plate :(
The B22 might do the trick for something smaller then the BP-CS.

Was thinking of going up to RRS tomorrow, but might not be worth the 3+ hour drive just to play around with plates and tripods.

M

mjr

Morning

I use a standard flat plate on my S, I really don't get on well with an L plate, I use a Acratech ball head which handles really nicely when flipped over vertically, bit like a gimbal head and allows me to rotate vertically and horizontally very easily, also lots of clearance for shooting down too, never had a problem with the plate coming loose. I have it on a Gitzo which is extremely sturdy even after 5 years of heavy use, highly recommended if you want to look at something other than RRS. The plate I use is by Sirui, low profile, but covers quite a lot of area and fits perfectly on the S.

As for flair, I also don't often shoot directly in to the sun with strong backlit subjects but I always use the hoods, never take them off, there's a lot of glass on the 70mm and I feel that the hood does an excellent job in the type of photography I do.

Good luck with it, the system is amazing once you get comfortable with it.

Mat

fotografz

It's silly that they won't make a simple square or rectangle S plate :(
The B22 might do the trick for something smaller then the BP-CS.

Was thinking of going up to RRS tomorrow, but might not be worth the 3+ hour drive just to play around with plates and tripods.
Here is the camera plate I use on all of my cameras including the S. In particular, the dual lug version is my choice so I can use a Camadapter hand strap for shooting stability/handling AND the Leica S shoulder strap for mobility (S camera hangs from the shoulder strap vertically like a M5 did) ... and still mount it on a tripod or monopod, and access the battery:

Camdapter

Scroll down to the Leica S plate recommendations here:

Camdapter - Compatibility Chart

Use it with any ARCA QR equipped head. I use the RSS HD Monopod head ... the version with the knob release rather than the lever:

MH-01 Pro monopod head

Allows fast use of this Kirk grip when using lighting transmitters along with a SF58 in the hot shoe for TTL fill:

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/kirk’s-action-grip-system

Also use the plate with an ARCA tripod head on a Gitzo ... and this RSS camera rotation system in studio on a Studio Camera Stand:

Camera Rotation Device

Hope this helps offer an alternative,

- Marc

aDam007

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the Camdapter link, that might work well for an idea I have!

As for the MH-01 Pro head with standard screw-knob clamp. You had mentioned that, and now I really want one. The problem is, I like things to all be the same. Which means I'd have to sell my gitzo monopod then buy the RRS monopod w/MH-01 :)

Just ordered the TVC-33 + BH-55 and TVC-23 + BH-40. Will check both of them out in the comfort of my house (don't have time this week to drive to RRS) and decide which one goes back. If I keep the TVC-33 then I'll add the TQC-14 + BH-30/40 (haven't decided). And if I keep the TVC23 + BH-40 then I'll bite the bullet and buy their monopod setup.

Can't believe the amount of stress I'm having trying to decide on a good tripod setup.
Issue is, I have a gitzo traveler and it's not really ideal. Plus I have a Gitzo 2531EX and the off centre column can get a bit annoying if you don't need the swivel function all the time. So I'm trying to find the ideal kit, to not have to go through this process again.

My initial impression is I wish the BH-40 had the BH-55 locking-knob (smaller version of it anyway). My other impression was that I don't seem to like mixing 2 series legs with 3 series heads.

Paratom

Snowy Weekend in the Black Forest. Good time to test the weather resistance of the S.
L1008577 by paratom511, on Flickr

I still dont manage how to make images to appear sharp in this forum. The link looks fine but in the thread it looks softer ;(

V

Vivek

I still dont manage how to make images to appear sharp in this forum. The link looks fine but in the thread it looks softer ;(
Looks like it was over exposed with the whites blown and a recovery was attempted in the post.

Paratom

Looks like it was over exposed with the whites blown and a recovery was attempted in the post.
You are correct, I slightly increased exposure in post and then tried to recover highlights. However sharpness still looks much better on flickr.

Here is the image without increasing exposure. If I can trust the histogramm in LR there should be nothing blown out, just low contrast/no structure in the areas of "fresh" snow.
L1008577 by paratom511, on Flickr

aDam007

Paratom - The first image was fine for me. I could see the lights and darks and textures in the snow just fine. Not blown out on my screen.

It is a bit soft, but that's what happens to me to when posting for the web. I have a strange suspicion that it's my Mac Book Pro Retina Display. Everything on here feels off.. When I switch to my desktop with the regular 27" HD thunderbolt display, it all looks great.

Unfortunately I'm not in Singapore right now, so I don't have access to my desktop. Can't wait to play with the S-files on a bigger monitor!

peterv

Hi guys,

What flashes work with the S-006?
I know the SF-58 does. But do any of the other Metz flashes work? I only ask because a lot of companies post that they work (metz, nissan) but when I tried them on my M240, I could only do manual mode. So I don't wanna buy a flash for the S-006 and have it only work in manual mode (even though I mainly shoot my Canons in manual mode, I still like the option of using TTL).
Faster sync speeds than 1/125 s are possible with the Leica SF58 flash unit and HSS-capable SCA3002 flash units.

I have the Metz mz54i with the SCA3002 and it works just like the SF58.

Paratom

I have both the Metz 54 with SCA adapter and the SF58.
I thnk to remember the Leica had some slight advantage but I dot remember which one. Either it was a little faster between pre-flash and flash or it had something to with the second small front flash. Maybe someone else remembers?

aDam007

Anyone who has the TQC-14 can you explain how the centre column is removed, and how it differs from the TVC-23/33 because I know how to do it on the 23/33, but since I don't have the 14 yet to test, I am unsure of how it works (though from images I know it doesn't work the same way as the other two tripods).

Also, wrote a first impression out for the sake of clarity (trying to decide on one tripod, thought might just get them all). Read it if you're interested, but if you're already an RRS owner then probably not worth the read:

RRS TVC-23/33 + BH-40/55 + accessories. First Impressions etc.. - FM Forums

Paratom - I think that I'll have to go with the SF-58.. But Metz no longer makes the Metz version, so I'm wondering if it's being replaced eventually by Leica as well?!

topoxforddoc

A portrait session a fortnight ago in the Cloisters at Gloucester Cathedral, UK (part of the Harry Potter Hogwarts set). One of my friends, who is a musician at the Cathedral.

S(006) & 70/2.5S, Single Elinchrom Quadra Ranger Hybrid strobe