The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

topoxforddoc

Interesting PP, Charlie. Looks very filmic, IMHO.
Hi Peter,

The PP wasn't interesting at all. I have just checked in the LR history for the two images.

Crop rectangle and upright perspective adjustment (plus export to jpeg on hard drive) - that's it.
No colour adjustment, tone adjustment, exposure, temp, tint or contrast tweaks. Zilch.

It's just a plain vanilla S(006) image. Or maybe not really plain, as the S(006) files are searingly good out of the box.

Charlie

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Forgive me Charlie but it appears a bit cold to me ... a bit blue.

This is my take on it :

A Bit of Warmth

Regards and apologies if I have offended you...I bristle when other correct my 'art'.

Bob

RVB

Forgive me Charlie but it appears a bit cold to me ... a bit blue.

This is my take on it :

A Bit of Warmth

Regards and apologies if I have offended you...I bristle when other correct my 'art'.

Bob
That was my first thought when I looked at the image ,the wb seemed too cold.

I think the warmer wb improve the image,it is a very nice portrait and she is radiant.

Rob

topoxforddoc

That was my first thought when I looked at the image ,the wb seemed too cold.

I think the warmer wb improve the image,it is a very nice portrait and she is radiant.

Rob
Thank you, it does look better with a warmer WB. It was bl**dy cold in the Cloisters though, and we were both blue by the end :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thank you, it does look better with a warmer WB. It was bl**dy cold in the Cloisters though, and we were both blue by the end :)
Understand....

My time at Oxford was one of the coldest experiences in my life.

It is a wonderful portrait ... one that she will cherish.

Regards,

Bob

peterv

I agree, It is a wonderful portrait and it has a bit of blue/magenta tint. And I guess that's what I liked about it because that's what made it look filmic :)

rickgrainger

Here is the camera plate I use on all of my cameras including the S. In particular, the dual lug version is my choice so I can use a Camadapter hand strap for shooting stability/handling AND the Leica S shoulder strap for mobility (S camera hangs from the shoulder strap vertically like a M5 did) ... and still mount it on a tripod or monopod, and access the battery:

Camdapter

Scroll down to the Leica S plate recommendations here:

Camdapter - Compatibility Chart

Use it with any ARCA QR equipped head. I use the RSS HD Monopod head ... the version with the knob release rather than the lever:

MH-01 Pro monopod head

Allows fast use of this Kirk grip when using lighting transmitters along with a SF58 in the hot shoe for TTL fill:

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/kirk’s-action-grip-system

Also use the plate with an ARCA tripod head on a Gitzo ... and this RSS camera rotation system in studio on a Studio Camera Stand:

Camera Rotation Device

Hope this helps offer an alternative,

- Marc
I'm just trying to visualize this so please bear with me.

You would have your Leica S on the Kirk bracket with the SF58 in the hotshoe of the camera and maybe a ProFoto Air Remote attached to the grip and with a cable, plugged into the LEMO PC sync of the camera.

Am I close to being on target?

Rick

fotografz

I'm just trying to visualize this so please bear with me.

You would have your Leica S on the Kirk bracket with the SF58 in the hotshoe of the camera and maybe a ProFoto Air Remote attached to the grip and with a cable, plugged into the LEMO PC sync of the camera.

Am I close to being on target?

Rick
Yep.

Not sure what a LEMO PC is, but if you mean the standard type of PC port on the side of the S camera, then yes.

- Marc

rickgrainger

Yep.

Not sure what a LEMO PC is, but if you mean the standard type of PC port on the side of the S camera, then yes.

- Marc
Good deal. And the ProFoto Air and the SF58 can sync with CS lenses up to 1/1000 of a second, correct?

Sorry about the LEMO reference. I see that it is for a remote release and USB connection, but the camera has a standard PC connection as well.

fotografz

Good deal. And the ProFoto Air and the SF58 can sync with CS lenses up to 1/1000 of a second, correct?

Sorry about the LEMO reference. I see that it is for a remote release and USB connection, but the camera has a standard PC connection as well.
Yep.

Remember, to sync at 1/1000 you have to set the Profoto AIR Transceiver in the hot shoe to the Speed Mode, or the top sync speed will be 1/500 for the strobe.

FYI, this also works with any Hensel strobe with AIR receiver ... like the Hensel Porty 1200L battery pack.

- Marc

topoxforddoc

One from the Pit last night. Jim Reid, the lead singer of "The Jesus and Mary Chain" on their 30th anniversary Psychocandy tour. Taken at the O2 Academy in Bristol, UK. This one is very blue (given the nice comments about my previous post :) )

S(006) 120 CS

aDam007

Ok wait... So I have the TTL-C for Canon/Profoto. It works fine with my Canon camera. And it works fine with other cameras. But it won't work with the S or M system.

Why is that? Shouldn't it just use the basic hotshoe middle prong? I think I've asked this before, but I'm really just curious as to why the S/M are the only cameras I can't get to work with the TTL-C profoto remote.

Just to note: I'm not expecting TTL to work, just basic wireless flash sync.

fotografz

Is the AIR TTL Remote set to TTL or Manual?

I know the Leica S won't trigger anything set to TTL (even their own Leica SF58 Speed-light) because it only operates when set to HSS TTL.

Just a thought.

- Marc

BTW, the regular AIR Remote does work with the S2 and S(006). If you can't figure out how to use the Canon TTL Remote on the Leicas, you can always just get a regular AIR Remote and use it as back-up for the Canon or other cameras when needed.

aDam007

I might buy a regular Air remote. It's just a shame since I have the C-TTL one here. Honestly, I've tried everything. HSS-TTL mode, TTL mode, Manual mode. Nothing works.

Is there something in camera I'm missing?

peterv

The only things I could think of are:
-sync speed, the camera will not give a flash at shutter speeds shorter than 1/125 (according to Leica this was the most common mistake with the rental houses)
-sometimes one needs to tighten the pin connector a bit more than expected.

fotografz

I might buy a regular Air remote. It's just a shame since I have the C-TTL one here. Honestly, I've tried everything. HSS-TTL mode, TTL mode, Manual mode. Nothing works.

Random thoughts: not to insult, but I've done some of these myself

> You are sure the AIR Remote is pushed fully into the Hot-Shoe and locked down tight?

> S Camera's On switch set to FPS? (or are you using CS lenses?)

> AIR Remote needs to be set to Transmit not Receive?

> Top Sync Speed? The S is 1/125 unless you use CS lenses with leaf shutters.

> Is the camera shooting but the strobe not being triggered?

> Can you fire other devices in the hot-shoe of the S?

> Try hard wiring the AIR Remote to the S sync port to make sure the circuits work.

> I assume you can manually adjust and fire the B1s with the TTL-C AIR Remote off the camera.

Beyond back-up, here is a case for getting an AIR Remote anyway ... you can keep in in your pocket to manually adjust the lights without being at the camera.

- Marc