The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

aDam007

Leica just needs to lower the price point on their S-systems (and I don't mean by introducing S-E cameras).

That'll give people more confidence in the brand, and will in turn increase lens sales. Even with the M-system, that would be a good strategy. Why buy a M240 then not put Leica lenses on it (people buy ZM and CV but eventually turn to Leica). So give them confidence by making the camera bodies cheaper (the things that need to be upgraded every few years) and they'll continue to buy your lenses (lenses I'm willing to spend $$ on, as I know they'll last).

Better idea then making an adapter.

anGy

I'd sure be interested in such in adapter.

Since this is an image thread, here's a picture I made yesterday with my new 24mm (what a lens!)
I'm in The Hague this week, the town where I grew up. Made this picture for sentimental reasons. My friend, who passed away, used to live right there above the stores.
Isn't that Brussels City center, les galleries de la Reine ?
Or do they have that exact same place in Den Haag ?

+1 for an adapter, I'd buy one without hesitation.

Cheers

Stuart Richardson

I don't! I like a bit more control with the S. Generally I am at ISO 100 all the time, but when I need to raise it, it is usually all the way to 800 or 1600. I don't really think of the S as a low light camera, which is a bit ironic since I use it for so much night photography! It is great if you let it soak up the light, but I have not found much reason to raise the ISO unless I am stuck inside photographing people.

The photo below was taken at ISO 100...for 90 seconds at f5.6.

peterv

Isn't that Brussels City center, les galleries de la Reine ?
Or do they have that exact same place in Den Haag ?

+1 for an adapter, I'd buy one without hesitation.

Cheers
Thanks anGy, yes I'm pretty sure it's The Hague:

Passage - DenHaag.com

I know that around the Fin de siècle these kind of places were built all over Europe.

Cheers

aDam007

Usually 100ISO in the sun, 400ISO in the shade, 800ISO at dusk.. And then I stop shooting.
(The above shot was 800ISO at dusk, FYI.)

My aperture stays at 2.5 mainly (for both lenses 70/120). And I just change the shutter speed as needed. An exposure that falls below 250th, I up the ISO (until I hit 800 ISO and its still to dark at 250th, then I go down to 125th and use good holding techniques).

I think it's also good to note that I'd shoot and then brighten in post. Rather shoot dark frames then blow out highlights.

menos

Usually 100ISO in the sun, 400ISO in the shade, 800ISO at dusk.. And then I stop shooting.
(The above shot was 800ISO at dusk, FYI.)

My aperture stays at 2.5 mainly (for both lenses 70/120). And I just change the shutter speed as needed. An exposure that falls below 250th, I up the ISO (until I hit 800 ISO and its still to dark at 250th, then I go down to 125th and use good holding techniques).

I think it's also good to note that I'd shoot and then brighten in post. Rather shoot dark frames then blow out highlights.
I only use manual ISO with all cameras I use.
I usually shoot the S2 at max ISO320.
Anything I need a higher ISO I underexpose the shot (using exposure compensation for metering) and push in post processing.

When using different push speeds, I separate each series of shots with a blank frame so I it is easy to apply a quick push in Lightroom to each set.
I find highlights blowing so fast with higher ISO on the S2, that pushing shadows + noise reduction in software often leads to better output than using higher ISO in camera with the S2.

satybhat

No basically I shot for 2 hours. It happened twice in the first 15 minutes and then twice at the one hour mark. Then didn't happen again. Same area of the frame, but varying degrees of that green.

I'm guessing it's memory card related. I have the newest Sandisk SD cards 32gb. Shooting raw + jpg. I also have the CF cards in 64gb but I didn't have them in my camera at the time, because I left my CF card reader in Singapore :p

Will send the files off to Leica, see what they have to say. After my lens incident, I'm not impressed. **** happens, so let's hope it's isolated.
Adam, I had the same issue with the S (006). After about 15 frames, every one after that has magenta streaks at Regular intervals throughout every image. Was dual writing to an SD card as well and the jpgs recorded are perfect. any answer to your issue from Leica?
Does anyone know how to record DNGs to both cards?

Rolo

The S will only record DNG to one channel. Unfortunate, but true.

It will however record DNGs to the SD card if there is no CF card present.

Gary

aDam007

Adam, I had the same issue with the S (006). After about 15 frames, every one after that has magenta streaks at Regular intervals throughout every image. Was dual writing to an SD card as well and the jpgs recorded are perfect. any answer to your issue from Leica?
Does anyone know how to record DNGs to both cards?
Leica made me send them back my camera. They sent me a new one. Told me this problem with a fault with the sensor and circuit board that connects to the sensor.
I had a lot of problems with Leica N.J., but Leica Germany made it right.
And no, there is no way to do DNG x2.

aDam007

The S will only record DNG to one channel. Unfortunate, but true.

It will however record DNGs to the SD card if there is no CF card present.

Gary
Yes true... But the real question is: Does it record the DNG then make a jpg from the CF card DNG to place on the SD card. Or does it make a DNG and a JPG simultaneously using difference processors.

As in, could you really call the JPG a "just in case" backup?
I've asked Leica this a few times, the best I got was "I will check" and nobody has ever really clarified.

satybhat

I agree, I had some 400 files corrupted in a similar way.
Not sure whether I should approach Leica ? Some examples. The JPGs are fine, the RAWs are corrupted.

satybhat

My understanding is that it makes the JPEG from the DNG. However, when I had 660 disrupted files, it was only the DNG files on the CF card that were ruined. The Jpegs on the SD card were fine.

I can't see the benefit of storing both file types on a single card. Too high a risk of losing the card, imo.

Gary
Gary, did you approach Leica too?

satybhat

Yes, after the second occasion when I lost 68 images, but thankfully recognised the issue straight away.

Leica Service couldn't reproduce it. By then, I'd had the 64gb card replaced by Sandisk. In fact they swapped the card for two of the same, which was pleasing, but that left me with legs across the canyon. :)
So they did not change the sensor or the board?
Interspersed between the corrupted images, one or two RAWs are fine, which makes me wonder whether its the circuitry to the CF component that is defective.
Have asked the dealer what the action should be.
.....to be continued....

aDam007

My image problems can be seen a few pages back. They're not similar to your problem. Your problem seems to be a different issue then mine.