The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dave.gt

Very nice, Neil! Wow, who would not be happy with results like those?:):):)

That first one is... amazing. How did you get so close?!!!

peterv

Where did everyone go? Fun with MF Images thread?

This thread is a treasure trove of information and should continue somewhere! :thumbup:
Agreed, I guess some contributors went to other MF systems, some went FF.

Anyway, you're absolutely right this thread should never fade into oblivion.

Here's one from last month:

Last Boat Leaving For The Islands. 120mm, ISO160, f2.8 @ 1/500

Attachments

dave.gt

Agreed, I guess some contributors went to other MF systems, some went FF.

Anyway, you're absolutely right this thread should never fade into oblivion.

Here's one from last month:

Last Boat Leaving For The Islands. 120mm, ISO160, f2.8 @ 1/500
Nice!!!:)

Peter, the S120 will be my next lens to test (another rental), so I guess I should start planning!:grin:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ha!... thanks, Roger, after shooting your S100 and S120 (many thanks again!) last week, the HC 100 2.2 has a high bar to get over with the superb results of the S lenses. Is it as good or better for my work as the S100 or S120? :)

That is the interesting and fun question as I research the HB lens! :thumbup:
Dave

I have never used the HB 100 2.2 .

A lot has to do with how you plan to use the lens . The S 120 is ultra sharp and can have a somewhat clinical aesthetic is strong light ...on a dull overcast day its ability to render with strong contrast is most welcome . The 100S has moderate (or medium macro contrast) with a beautiful bokeh ...it can however appear a bit flat in soft light . Micro contrast on both lenses is outstanding so you can tune either to taste . I like the 100/2 S for portraits and people photographs and the 120/2.5 for landscape/seascapes .

Contax 645 also had a fast 80mm lens that can be used with an adapter (AF but expensive ) . That lens is prized by some wedding photographers . Its not easy to find nor is the adapter . It used to be much less expensive than an S lens and has a terrific aesthetic .

dave.gt

Christmas in July!

Monday, I received a special order from Tom Erik Smedal, our fellow Medium Format photographer.:thumbup:

In the box that was placed next to my front door, was a tube, and inside the tube was a fantastic, beautiful print made by Tom using a Leica S 006 and S120 lens!!!

It is both an exquisitely made image, and a beautiful, detailed print that will be delivered to a local custom framer this week.:grin: The overall image has a "fairy-tale" feel to it, but also, the colors, and the mood fit our modest/tiny home decor. The image was posted here:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...4730-fun-mf-images-post788580.html#post788580

If anyone doubts that the S 006 is highly capable, well, may I present a different viewpoint. I am delighted that Tom worked hard to capture this image, and I am excited to finally get the chance to have it framed and hanging on our wall.

Thanks, Tom!:thumbs:

dave.gt

It is a grey morning in the Deeo South, but especially grey west of Atlanta as the seadon's furst tropical weather system, Barry, brings inclement and dangerous weather onshore. But, here, it is a quiet Sunday morning. A good time for coffee and cameras, if only for a few minutes.:)

I compiled an interesting list whike waiting for my coffee and it confirms why I have been so frustrated with many cameras over the years. However, the Leica S, with its simplicity of design, and usability stands out::thumbup:

Camera manuals:

Hasselblad 1000F - 32 pages

H2 - 90 pages

H5D-50c wifi - 117 pages

Hasselblad X1D-50c - 150 pages

Leica S 006 - 74 pages

Leica X1 - 125 pages

Leica M10 - 224 pages

Nikon D850 - 374 pages

Nikon D2x - 265 pages

Nikon D3100 - 207 pages

Nikon F80 - 114 pages

Nikon Fe2 - 63 pages

Nikkormat FTn - 31 pages

Rolleiflex 4x4 - 44 pages

Fujifilm GFX100 - 331 pages

And even more shocking, is the number of buttons, not even considering the menus and sub-menus!

Leica S - 4 large soft buttons/1 lock button/ 1 function button/1 dial/ 1 wheel/1 joystick

Nikon D850 - at last count there are 22 buttons, 2 dials, a half dozen switches and levers, plus all the touch control menu options on the screen.😮

My takeaway is the Leica S system is worth my consideration for the future.

I cherish the Simple Life.

JohnBrew

Dave, it’s good that you are getting to experience the S. It is a superb shooting machine. I certainly enjoyed mine and the handling was terrific. It never got in the way of getting the shot. But the weight eventually had me selling it on. Would have been nice if it had been made of carbon fiber!
Oh, and the OVF was incredible. It seemed to have a clarity missing in others.
Enjoy.
All the best,
John

dave.gt

Dave, it’s good that you are getting to experience the S. It is a superb shooting machine. I certainly enjoyed mine and the handling was terrific. It never got in the way of getting the shot. But the weight eventually had me selling it on. Would have been nice if it had been made of carbon fiber!
Oh, and the OVF was incredible. It seemed to have a clarity missing in others.
Enjoy.
All the best,
John
Thanks, John! You are a good friend and I appreciate your comments. :):):)
Regarding the weight, I absolutely and completely understand...:thumbup:

Somehow, the more I look, the more I like about Leica and despite cost, the weight, the wonderful simplicity, and current life realities, I may one day find my way back again to just using Leica products. It is an interesting discovery process and I am in no hurry to decide yet. (I do miss my M3 and M6 but they were sold long ago.)

Lately, thankfully, the whole backpacking, exercise and strength-building exercises including non-stop work, has improved my physical health enough that I am better able to continue my real job without assistance. For those days when I really want to go light and discrete, the little X1 works fine for me. It, too, is simple.

But, I foresee a time in the future where I will have another M as my only camera again. Like my friend said yesterday, what could be better for personal fun than photography, outdoors, fly-fishing, vinyl records, and acoustic guitars? LOL.. I can only add writing to that list for me.:thumbup:

And maybe another Hasselblad 503...

Seriously though, after next week, we plan on looking at re-starting our Studio. Wish us luck on that!:)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks, John! You are a good friend and I appreciate your comments. :):):)
Regarding the weight, I absolutely and completely understand...:thumbup:

Somehow, the more I look, the more I like about Leica and despite cost, the weight, the wonderful simplicity, and current life realities, I may one day find my way back again to just using Leica products. It is an interesting discovery process and I am in no hurry to decide yet. (I do miss my M3 and M6 but they were sold long ago.)

Lately, thankfully, the whole backpacking, exercise and strength-building exercises including non-stop work, has improved my physical health enough that I am better able to continue my real job without assistance. For those days when I really want to go light and discrete, the little X1 works fine for me. It, too, is simple.

But, I foresee a time in the future where I will have another M as my only camera again. Like my friend said yesterday, what could be better for personal fun than photography, outdoors, fly-fishing, vinyl records, and acoustic guitars? LOL.. I can only add writing to that list for me.:thumbup:

And maybe another Hasselblad 503...

Seriously though, after next week, we plan on looking at re-starting our Studio. Wish us luck on that!:)
I owned Leica for many years - off and on several times. I always liked the haptics and feeling of these cameras and the S is definitely one of the best examples for this feelings. I ever owed one myself as I moved out of MF ad MFD some 10 years ago but I tried it several times and was always happy when shooting it.

I still own my Leica M (all analog) and a whole set of M glass. I once may return to shooting M again maybe when the M11 becomes available and I can get a used M10 for a reasonable price or if finally they build a M with electronic RF and EVF - that might be even cheaper? Just dreamig .....

But I must say for most of my shooting without wildlife an M would be the perfect instrument - simple, small, stunning IQ and easy to operate even when just waking up.

Just some thoughts about what I feel for Leica and M especially.

BTW - all the luck you need for restarting your studio :thumbs:

dave.gt

Really nice iconic image there, Greg!:thumbup:

I would love for someone to PM me this location to keep it top secret!:):):)

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Really nice iconic image there, Greg!:thumbup:

I would love for someone to PM me this location to keep it top secret!:):):)

Dave,
Here is my best recollection, I have only been there once. I stayed in Furnace Creek from there I went to the sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells and then on to Stovepipe Wells. If you continue on just past the town, this is where I took that shot. Also, I attached a shot of the dunes, this is a very interesting place to photograph.
Thanks,
Greg

Mesquite Dunes Small.jpg

dave.gt

Where are all the other images ever made with the Leica S?:)

Lol... it would be nice to be inspired by others posting even archived images. :thumbup: