The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Very Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Photojazz

Thanks Lloyd, the sunset is right outside my house, shot from my front yard, it's not a "first", but it's nice when the sun's setting colors come through, but it's really more a 200mm shot, that's how deeply I had to crlop. thanks on th edit I did. Don't ever sell your surroundings short. you can have a pretty good shoot right outside your house if you look! Well, we know Lloyd can, lol.

SYGTAFOTO

I also like the sunset pic. Very calm feeling. One nitpick would be the little blurred branch that came through on the right side of the frame. Great work.

Photojazz

thanks Scott, I agree on the branch. I'd been on my small photo walk and then decided to run to store real quick, I came home and saw the wonderful setting sun colors, I ran in grabbed the M9 and came out to shoot it, I knew I'd have to crop heavily, but it was a good test shot to take. There's something about those 3 trees lines that is very appealing. Obviously, I am not the only one that sees it! :)

haha Ryan. When shots are together, imo, it takes away from both shots.

Doug

rsolti13

Thanks for the comments all. Lloyd, that was the 50 Lux II wide open. The sharpness on the little buds when seen at 100% are really unbelievable. And yes, spring time is starting down here in the South! :)

Few more. By the way...all shots are with the 50 Lux II wide open except #2...which is the ZM 18

rsolti13

Let the sun shine in... 90 Cron V3 on M9 wide open...

heavily cropped:

Doug, great color on the first above and I really like this second one. The bokeh looks fantastic!

I am having a hard time deciding on which 75/90 I want. I think the 90 Elmarit-M, then I see you and others posting with the 90 Cron, then I see unbelievable shots with the 75 Cron....I'm confused :confused: I just need to pick one and be happy, doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any. I think 90 is more realistic too as I already have a 50 Lux and the 75 seems too close

Lloyd

Thanks for the comments all. Lloyd, that was the 50 Lux II wide open. The sharpness on the little buds when seen at 100% are really unbelievable. And yes, spring time is starting down here in the South! :)

Few more. By the way...all shots are with the 50 Lux II wide open except #2...which is the ZM 18
More magic. Wow. Can't pick a favorite. I really was struck by the blossoms on the ground, however. Gorgeous color.

Photojazz

Ryan, thank you. Mine is a Version 3, I understand there are some differences in versions, I Believe mine is the last one before the ASPH. So, I felt pretty good about my find and on ebay no less! I just happened across this lens just browsing Leica, and when I found it, I did a little 90 Cron research, images from Version 3 where documented seemed very good. Condition was great, my decision was made. I'm still not quite sure what year mine is from, maybe in the 90s? maybe. I just don't know.

For me, the 90 focal length may or may not be a big hitter, this allows me to figure that out, at a lower budget cost. but with the quality I have seen so far, it may well be the only 90 I will ever need!

Lloyd

Ryan, thank you. Mine is a Version 3, I understand there are some differences in versions, I Believe mine is the last one before the ASPH. So, I felt pretty good about my find and on ebay no less! I just happened across this lens just browsing Leica, and when I found it, I did a little 90 Cron research, images from Version 3 where documented seemed very good. Condition was great, my decision was made. I'm still not quite sure what year mine is from, maybe in the 90s? maybe. I just don't know.

For me, the 90 focal length may or may not be a big hitter, this allows me to figure that out, at a lower budget cost. but with the quality I have seen so far, it may well be the only 90 I will ever need!
Does yours have the integrated hood? That was a feature of the last version prior to the ASPH. Where was it made?

I've had 6 different 90mm lenses for the M system, including both the 90 Cron pre-ASPH with the integrated hood, and the ASPH. I've had two Elmarits, including the latest version, the 90 Hexanon, and the 90/3.5 APO Lanthar by Voightlander. While I did like the Crons wide open, they are big lenses by M standards. I loved the Leica glow I got from the Pre-ASPH, and the ASPH is simply stellar... I only sold it because I was happy with my other 90s, didn't use it wide open nearly as much as I thought I would, and needed the $$ for another purchase.

The Hexanon is a terrific lens, and can be found for around $500-600 for a copy in near mint condition. I liked mine very much, and even though it's slower with a max of 2.8, it renders wonderful bokeh.

All that said, my two favorite 90mm M lenses are, in order:

1. The latest version of the 90 Elmarit (with the integrated hood). You can find it for around $1000 for a good copy, and it's simply a fantastic performer on either the M8 or the M9. Check out some of the stuff Woody Campbell has posted taken with that lens. HERE, is a stellar example.

2. The CV 90/3.5 APO Lanthar. This lens is very inexpensive... new for around $370 (it's LTM, so you need an M adapter as well, but the CV Type II is only about $60). It is a small lens, SUPER sharp, has ED glass, and I think is seriously underrated. I've had mine a long time, and every time I think about getting rid of it, I shoot with it, and back in the bag it goes.

Last edited: