The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Very Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

seakayaker

From a local fair, kids in line for a ride.

m9, 35 fle, f/9, 1/250
Nice shot Steve. Has a certain Garry Winograd quality to it.
Steve: That is a great shot. Excellent framing and pp. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
++3!

Lovely Shot Steve! Rekindles the memories, the joy, the clowning around, and the fear when waiting to get on a ride that at the moment may not be all that much fun!

seakayaker

Leica M8 , 18 mm Super Elmar
Wow, what a great set :thumbs:

Mike
Shiro: This is a very cool set of photos. Great dynamic balance, light, composition and pp in all of them. These two are my favorites: people in the first and shooting angle in the second. Way to use that lens! :salute:

Cheers, Matt.

Shiro, great stuff!
++++4! Fantastic set, but my favorite is the first one! Love the detail and the light in this photograph . . . . .

seakayaker

A Sunny Day with some Free Time!

Cruise Ship Terminal and Eliot Bay Marina

A Family Portrait

Got it!

M9 with 50 Summilux Asph

seakayaker

40th Annual Northwest Folk Life Festival

Three and half day annual festival with emphasis on Folk music, dancing, workshops, story telling, drum circle, food, beer garden, and street performers of all types. Most music performers get 30 minutes on one of several stages set up around the Seattle Center grounds. No one gets paid so many set up in the walkways and put out the tip jar. A fun day . . . . .

Family String Band ~ Street Performance

The Trio ~ Street Performance

The Patch Trio ~ Street Performance

M9 with 50 Summilux

m_driscoll

What a great showing by all this week.
Summer is in the air...
Matt - Cute! Looks like you had better luck with the cv35/1.4 than I did!
Steve: Thanks. :D It did seem like a pretty good lens?

Speaking of swim in the hudson..

M8 & 35cron v2
Steve: Well seen. She wasn't actually going in the water, was she? :thumbup:

+++3!
Nice shot Matt! Nice to see everyone getting along!
Love the coffee at 'Fuel' but I am happy that they opened up a 'Uptown Expresso' up the street from you on 45th, currently my favorite brew.
+++3!
Love the shot Matt! . . . . . put a sailboat in the picture and it is pretty much perfect to being with!
Matt love the series with the sculpture, the first one is lovely and the sunstar in the second is fantastic!
Dan: Thanks! :D :D :D Haven't been to Uptown on 45th, yet. It's a long two blocks!

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

A Sunny Day with some Free Time!
Cruise Ship Terminal and Eliot Bay Marina

A Family Portrait
Got it!
M9 with 50 Summilux Asph
40th Annual Northwest Folk Life Festival

Three and half day annual festival with emphasis on Folk music, dancing, workshops, story telling, drum circle, food, beer garden, and street performers of all types. Most music performers get 30 minutes on one of several stages set up around the Seattle Center grounds. No one gets paid so many set up in the walkways and put out the tip jar. A fun day . . . . .
Family String Band ~ Street Performance
The Trio ~ Street Performance
The Patch Trio ~ Street Performance

M9 with 50 Summilux
Dan: Two very nice sets. You really took advantage of today's unusually good weather! You have to walk through Folk Life with a fist full of dollars. Really super WB. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

ShiroKuro

Thanks for the comments on the previous set ... here are some from a roller derby event I went to today ... very challenging but fun to shoot ...

Leica M8 / 90 Elmar / 18 Super Elmar

C

cehoffman

I rented an M9, 50mm lux, and an extra battery for The Hangout Festival in Gulf Shores a week ago. I had wanted to try an M9 and Leica glass and since the event didn't allow "professional" or interchangable lens cameras without a press pass I knew there was no way my D7000 would make it through the gate. Luckily all 3 days when the security looked through my bag and saw the M9 they didn't give it a second thought while a woman in front of me with D90 got turned back.

All of these pictures were taken at sunset or later. The person in the first photo is a friend and she really does have hair that purple, you usually just have to catch it in the right light to see it shine.

I've been interested in the M because of the Leica glass mostly, but I do love the quality of the files that the M9 produced. I've owned several Nikon bodies from the D{1,2,3}00 and now the D7000. The lack of AA filter is quite noticeable and has me considering the removal on it on my D7000.

The rangefinder experience was fun and suited me quite well. With my Nikons I usually operate differently than most people around me when it comes to shooting. I tend to take my time to compose the shot (waiting for the subject usually) instead of taking a series of pictures hoping one got the subject doing what I wanted. My last trip with the Nikon got me into wanting bokeh more and that ultimately led me to the Leica world.

I like the M9 and think it has just the right mix of functionality and control for what most photographs need, but found it wasn't quite electronically rugged enough. I found it would spend long periods of time trying to write images to the SD card when the battery was around 25%. This led me to lose a couple images. The first day I thought the camera had frozen so I took the battery out and reinserted it. The second day I realized it was the battery being low. I reset the camera again because it was taking minutes and there were other things around me with the light changing at sunset that I wanted to capture. On the 3rd day I watched the battery and changed it before there was an issue.

I've since bought a couple of lenses, the 35mm perar II and the 135mm tele-elmar. To hold me over through the upcoming product announcements, or M10 if the announcements aren't enough, I just got a Nex-5 with adapter so I can start using the glass collection I'm building.

ShiroKuro

Mike: Somehow kafkaesque to me, absolutely great capture! :thumbs::thumbs: Also right choice, that you resisted to convert to B&W (just my vote), though it would be great in B&W no doubt nevertheless ... Truely Oustanding.

Best regards Hermann
This is spectacular ......

Lloyd

Steve: Well seen. She wasn't actually going in the water, was she? :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

+1. Great catch, Steve. And I also hope she didn't end up in the water.

Dan: Two very nice sets. You really took advantage of today's unusually good weather! You have to walk through Folk Life with a fist full of dollars. Really super WB. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Excellent shots, Dan. Great color.

Lloyd

Thanks for the comments on the previous set ... here are some from a roller derby event I went to today ... very challenging but fun to shoot ...

Leica M8 / 90 Elmar / 18 Super Elmar
Nice results. I really like this one. (We've watched a few of these around here. I wouldn't want to meet these women in a dark alley!)