The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Joel Meyerowitz street shooting video

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Charles. That was a very interesting video. And certainly a rather different approach than Gilden. It is always informative to see how others work, especially since we so often see only the end product.

Chris C

Charles - I too checked out the Meyerowitz video at the same time as seeing the Bruce Gilden one. Whilst I hope no-one ever expects to see a signature image from a photographer being trailed by a videographer, I think we did get to see the relevant classiness of the two photographers; Meyerowitz has it in abundance. Bruce Gilden has significant talent of course, his aggression informs his work that I've seen but for me the 'attitude' weakens his pictures. Just a point of view - I respect that you probably disagree with me.

For those around the world who happen across the occasional BBC television programme, we in the UK enjoyed a wonderful 6 hour series called 'The Genius of Photography'. Get to see it if it comes your way - and Joel Meyerowitz is featured throughout the series including him working the streets of NY.

................. Chris

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
What a great approach. Did you see that big smile that he gave the person at the very end of the video? He is very inspiring. Maybe I could do that...if we had more than 3 people on the downtown streets in our little town at one time.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Bruce Gilden was scary to me. If he ever put that flash in my face, I think he would be hit over the head with my purse.

Bob Parsons

Interesting to see how the camera becomes invisible with the black clothes, hat, gloves and camera. I think the gloves are a very important cover.

Bob.

irakly

OMG, I could not believe this guy! One of my students sent me the link last year... This Joel guy is full of substance best used as a fertilizer. He is talking about being invisible and blending in. Right, try go to lower Manhattan and to blend in there wearing all black and running back and forth like a super agent from a bad James Bond knock-off, especially if you are like million feet tall. I do street photography since I remember and know what it's like.
If you want to be invisible on the street, do the following:
- Dress like everybody else, or like a homeless guy, as nobody wants to look at homeless multilayered fashion.
- Do not run, jump or make any other movements that may be subconsciously considered a threat like rotate your head right and left, wave hands about, etc.
- Do not lift a camera from a chest level to your eye. Rather, hold it near your face all the time, and when you need to look in the viewfinder, just lower your head to the viewfinder position, not raise the camera.
- Do not bump into people.
- Try to be lower than everybody else. If you are tall, bend your knees until your head is below a chin of a medium-height adult. If it's too awkward, sit somewhere, or lean against a wall or a tree.
- Resist a temptation to have a curious look on your face. Look either absorbed, or oblivious.
- Do not seek and/or maintain eye contact with anybody.
- If you get busted, smile like you know this person since the age of five and dissolve in the crowd.

irakly

i am actually 100% sure that this is NOT how he shoots on the street. it's just the bollocks for gullible amateurs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have to agree with you on many points and if he was in any other city than NY without the flow of people being so many ,either you will get shot or arrested. You can't do that stuff on the downtown streets of LA , Phoenix or any other city with much less people you would be a obvious train wreck dressed like that and acting like that. i don't teach street shooting this way. You want to be invisible than exactly what Irakaly said be invisible and dress like everyone else and don't run around like a idiot. But it is all about attitude and also about respect for who you are shooting. Sometimes i will walk away from a shot if I feel i am truly invading some ones space. I am not into harassing people for my benefit

Guy Mancuso

I much prefer walking into a scene and be a part of it for a short time than get your stuff and get the hell out of the way. i don't like hit and runs per say

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm beginning to think that part of the success of any of these guys is their distinctive personalities. They are unique and their style is a reflection of that. People respond to them in ways that probably wouldn't work for me, or anyone else who tried to mimic them. Everyone has a certain presence that's a result of them just being them.

So IMHO, if it's street you want, I think you have to develop your own style. Part of that development might be to use the general suggestions of those who've been there and done that, but ultimately, if you want your vision to show through, you have to trust yourself and find what works best for you. If it feels right and you can get it to flow, then it's fine.

M

matmcdermott

I'll add some other suggestions for blending in. Just act like what you are doing is perfectly natural to you, have confidence, act like you're just part of the goings on. It can work even if you don't blend in from a fashion sense or ethnic sense. I think this has much more to do with going unnoticed than dressing for the surroundings. And in a place as diverse as NYC, you can't always be "right". Go five blocks from my place in one direction and I'm not white vanilla enough to get admitted by a co-op board. Three in the other direction and I stick out like a lightbulb in the dark (not intended as a racist statement, in the slightest, the image just popped into my head).

Don't sneak shots. If you're sneaking pictures it looks like you're doing something "wrong" and it gives off a much different vibe than if you just bring the camera up and take the picture. People can feel it and it'll ultimately make it much harder for you to work even if in the moment the shot worked.

Guy Mancuso

Well I am sure Jeff is very successful and all that and not knocking him and that is his style but the last guy i seen in all black and black gloves was sneaking into my bedroom to rob my jewelry. Get the picture it is the biggest stereotype image of a guy all in black with a black knit hat on that can be a ski mask. You seen it in a thousand movies.

helenhill

I much prefer Bruce Gilden
Yes Bruce is a Character and abit off putting
but its his syle -his act-his shtick that makes HIM (tres Old New York)
& as Tim(TRSMITH) said so Poetically " part of their success is their ditinctive personalities"
being a native New Yawker you just sort of get used to these things :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Magnum seemed to recognize his Star quality
Thank Goodness he's one of a kind but I'm glad theres room for him in the World

(Now I'm ready for the barrage of insults that will come my way for originally posting his video in the other thread:) and still liking him:p)
Best to All -H

irakly

Don't sneak shots. If you're sneaking pictures it looks like you're doing something "wrong" and it gives off a much different vibe than if you just bring the camera up and take the picture. People can feel it and it'll ultimately make it much harder for you to work even if in the moment the shot worked.
you see, the point of candid street photography is making your subjects unaware of their participation in your activity. otherwise you will be photographing how people react on your camera, not the real thing. admittedly, some great photographers did (or do) just that: diane arbus, or martin parr for instance, but those photos are more of interactive quality rather than observational.

irakly

Interesting to see how the camera becomes invisible with the black clothes, hat, gloves and camera. I think the gloves are a very important cover.

Bob.
come on. i've been shooting with chrome m3, then with titanium contax g2, then with m6 and m8, again chrome. never had a problem with people noticing the camera.
the only time i realized that i did something stupid is when i bought a commemorative gold contax rts with a matching 1.4/50 planar and went for a stroll :ROTFL:

Chris C

.... Gilden..... I'm glad theres room for him in the World............Now I'm ready for the barrage of insults ...
Helen - I'm glad you posted the link, and speaking as someone who has had a strong aversion to to his style for many years [and earlier Martin Parr work too] - I agree with the sentiments of your first quote above. No insults from me in that regard.

..This Joel guy is full of substance best used as a fertilizer...
Irakly - You have just trashed a master of the medium with a huge body of significant work ranging from Leica street images, fabulous large format landscape work, and 10x8 portraiture. Check him out; feel small, then blush.

.............. Chris

M

matmcdermott

you see, the point of candid street photography is making your subjects unaware of their participation in your activity. otherwise you will be photographing how people react on your camera, not the real thing. admittedly, some great photographers did (or do) just that: diane arbus, or martin parr for instance, but those photos are more of interactive quality rather than observational.
Very true. As I see it though there's a difference between being inconspicuous and sneaking pictures. I always try to be inconspicuous and work without notice, without influencing the situation as much as possible: just for the reason you mentioned about people reacting to the camera. (In fact I don't think I've ever asked a subject to do something specific in a photograph except when I was hired to do a portrait of them.) However, I never try to "sneak" pictures: no hip shots, no middle of the chest not looking through the viewfinder shots, no furtive photography. Whenever I observe someone doing this I can see everyone around them react, wondering what's going on.

irakly

Irakly - You have just trashed a master of the medium with a huge body of significant work ranging from Leica street images, fabulous large format landscape work, and 10x8 portraiture. Check him out; feel small, then blush.

.............. Chris
you think i do not know him? i did not say anything about his photography (although i am not a big fan, which is just a matter of taste). i merely expressed my humble albeit educated opinion on the substance of his video on street photography. he may be a great landscape photographer, and his black ski mask and gloves help him with that, but come on...
i am not going to engage in a pissing contest with a master of medium, but i am not going to feel small either. i think that the fact that my work is displayed in museums and galleries of seven countries and that i have students all over the world awards me this right.