Site Sponsors

Thread: Odd M question

Post Thanks / Like

Odd M question

I see lotsa you M shooters shooting right eyed. I have always been left eye dominant. My right eye has an astigmatism and I'm just not comfortable trying to focus w/ my right eye.

I shoot with both eyes open so if I was able to go the other way around, I'd be golden!

My question is do I really blow 2/3 of the advantages of using a rangefinder by shooting left-eyed?
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Odd M question

I'm right-eyed but don't keep both eyes open - it's too distracting. For my taste the benefits of a RF lie elsewhere; the theoretical ability to keep both eyes open has no value for me.

I think you just have to try it for yourself and see whether you can hold the camera comfortably with your nose mashed against the middle of the camera back.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I was "left eyed" my entire life; I've recently switched because my eyesight is better in the right eye... So I guess I'm the opposite. I do generally keep the other eye closed, but there are times where it's useful - like anticipating action coming into the frame. It's a little weird, but so far, so good. I went so far as to pick up a magnifier w/adjustable diopter... But I guess the built-in diopter is as good as it's gonna get for me - I see no real difference other than a dimmer, crappier view.

Post Thanks / Like

You mention shooting with both eyes open. I have read that some photographers use magnifiers so that they can do so. For instance, on an M8, some photographers use a 1.4x magnifier so that they can keep both eyes open.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A 1.4x magnifier with a standard 0.72 viewfinder works, although you lose a lot of the view. It's a 1x view, lifesize.

It's easy to shoot with both eyes open with a life-size viewfinder like the Leica SBOOI (50mm), and the brightline frames are HUGE.

Oh, I'm left-eyed. I just can't get the hang of trying right, even though I had lasik in my right eye and it's now sharper than my left...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jason,

I've always been left eye dominant. Although I might use a magnifier on occasion with 75mm and above for the purpose of increasing focusing accuracy and also the ability to keep both eyes open (for action shots), it (being left eye dominant) hasn't diminished the advantages of using a rangefinder one bit (as compared to say a DSLR.

The one major pain though of using my left eye to focus a Leica M8/M9, is my nose smudges the LCD screen each time I shoot So the costs of purchsing multiple lens cleaning cloths has to be considered

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

I've always shot with my left eye (right eye closed), including with the M8. No problem. Sometimes my nose leaves a mark on the LCD (so I have a cover on it).

Now that my left eye is having problems, I'm learning to use my right (dominant) eye. That is working out okay, as well.

Reed

Post Thanks / Like

I shot with my left eye until I got the M8. I forced myself to switch (only because it felt awkward to shoot the M8 with my left eye) and am comfortable with it now -- I even shoot my SLRs with my right eye these days. I suppose it wasn't too tough because, though I'm left-handed, I shoot a rifle right-handed (not that I shoot rifles daily).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm weird in that I shoot cameras right eyed and rifles left eyed normally (unless an optic is on them.) I'm left eyed dominant myself.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi Jason,

The one major pain though of using my left eye to focus a Leica M8/M9, is my nose smudges the LCD screen each time I shoot So the costs of purchsing multiple lens cleaning cloths has to be considered

Dave (D&A)
    Haha. Man, this RF habit never gets any cheaper