The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 - Lens lineup question

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I pared my M8 kit way down. I am amazed how nice it is to have it all fit in one bag and not have to make decisions about what lens to take on a given day.
CV 12
CZ 21 f/2.8
Leica 35 cron IV
Leica 50 lux pre-ASPH
Leica 75 lux
M8
MP

I figured out that I went through 17 lenses in the last 2 years trying to get this right.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My M kit = M8 +:
Zeiss Biogon 2.8/25mm
Leica Summicron 2/35mm VerIV
Leica Summarit 5cm/1.5
Leica Summarex 8.5cm/1.5

None of you guys seem to have the Zeiss 15 2.8 ZM. Any particular reason why... it's a stellar lens (that I want to sell or trade) :) Oh, yeah, please don't tell me it's too expensive... not you guys.
while not the only reason, expense is a factor. I bought almost all my lenses used at dramatically lower prices than currently available, and compared to a new Zeiss 15, they were actually all much less, even the noctilux!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The M8 s are my everyday cameras are used almost exclusively for street and travel photography. My full kit includes:
WATE
18Zeiss Latest addition
21asph Most Used
28/2A
35/2V4
35/1.4A
50/2Cron
50/2Zeiss Planar
50/1.4A
50Noctilux
75/2Cron
75/1.4
90/2Cron

So thats 12 lenses in total for three M8s . When I travel I pick out 6-7 lenses to take based on the anticipated weather and environment. For Paris ...it was WATE,21A,28A,35L,50Zeiss,50Noctilux and 90A.(seven lenses). Today its is cloudy and overcast....plenty of light just bald skies. It also looks like rain. This is a black and white day for sure. So I may need some punch. Also I will be walking a lot. The WATE and the Noctilux are not required . Ok its just three lenses ..the 21A,35L and the 90A. The 21 and the 35 on the bodies and the 90 in the vest. Different light and I would pick a different kit. If I had a better sky..the WATE for sure. Evening,interiors,very early morning the Noctilux and the 28Cron make a nice pair. On the street ..no real time to change lenses...so once I move to a target rich location..I have to pick just two. If I was in Florida today...it would be a significantly different selection...as you don t need either speed or very high contrast ...most days the light is very strong.

akiralx

Zeiss 21 f/4.5
Leica 35 f/2.5 Summarit
Leica 50 f/2 Summicron (old version without integral hood)

That's it for now....unless a 28mm Summicron tempts me...
....which it now has done, a nice used example - a few hundred pounds saved from the new price so I'm happy :)

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I have a black M8 and 35/75 cron ASPH's and a CV15.

I use the 35 about 85% of the time, the 75 about 10% and the CV15 the remaining 5%. More and more I think I could live with a one lens solution but I love all three. If the M ever goes full frame I will need a reshuffle but I simply love the way this system is so compact.

D

Digital Dude

Hi All,

...More and more I think I could live with a one lens solution but I love all three...
Well, I'm not sure I could live with just one lens, although I could certainly live with just a 28/50 combo.
Regards,:thumbup:

tbarker13

I've gone through so many lenses in the past year. At least 20 different flavors of Leica, Hexanan, Canon, Nikkor, Zeiss and CV.

I increasingly find myself seeking simplicity, based largely on the 35mm FL.
So I am transforming to this:

28/3.5 CV
35/2 Zeiss
35/1.4 summilux pre-asph
50/1.4 nikkor (though this may be replaced by a rigid summicron)
72/2.5 CV

I'm just not really using the M8 much for telephoto work any more. Bought a Pentax K10D and I've been buying some old Takumar screw-mount lenses for that aspect of my photography.

Seascape

Seeing as I am using my M lenses on both M8 and M6 (and still hoping for a FF M9), the kit is:

24 ASPH
35 cron ASPH
50 Lux ASPH
90 cron ASPH

For one lens traveling have now added a Mate 28-35-50, and because of all the excellent images posted here demonstrating the classic "look", have recently added the 50 lux Pre-ASPH.....I'm loving it !!

Thinking of adding the CV12, seems like a lot of people have it, there must be a reason ??

David K

Workshop Member
The M8 s are my everyday cameras are used almost exclusively for street and travel photography. My full kit includes:
WATE
18Zeiss Latest addition
21asph Most Used
28/2A
35/2V4
35/1.4A
50/2Cron
50/2Zeiss Planar
50/1.4A
50Noctilux
75/2Cron
75/1.4
90/2Cron

So thats 12 lenses in total for three M8s . When I travel I pick out 6-7 lenses to take based on the anticipated weather and environment. For Paris ...it was WATE,21A,28A,35L,50Zeiss,50Noctilux and 90A.(seven lenses). Today its is cloudy and overcast....plenty of light just bald skies. It also looks like rain. This is a black and white day for sure. So I may need some punch. Also I will be walking a lot. The WATE and the Noctilux are not required . Ok its just three lenses ..the 21A,35L and the 90A. The 21 and the 35 on the bodies and the 90 in the vest. Different light and I would pick a different kit. If I had a better sky..the WATE for sure. Evening,interiors,very early morning the Noctilux and the 28Cron make a nice pair. On the street ..no real time to change lenses...so once I move to a target rich location..I have to pick just two. If I was in Florida today...it would be a significantly different selection...as you don t need either speed or very high contrast ...most days the light is very strong.
Roger,
When you say 12 lenses for 3 M8's it just sounds so practical :) I've tried using that line on my wife with my MF gear... after all, three camera systems and not much more than 12 lenses for them. Of course it weighs a bit more than the M kit.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've got my lenses pared down to a very usable hand-full...

CV 12
21 Elmarit Asph
28 Summicron Asph
50 Summilux Pre-Asph
73 Hecktor (not needed, but oh so loved for it's classic rendering!)
90 Summarit

Re the shutter step, yes the M8 has it to wake up the camera and to "lock" the AE exposure. It is a bit notchy in stock trim, but the factory is softening it now if you ask for that or have the quieter shutter upgrade done.

Cheers!

DaveB

The CV 15 is just so darn good and just so inexpensive.
You're so right about that. I have two of them. One has an infrared filter semi-permanently crammed down its throat. Very nice lens and a "must have," I think, for the M8. I use it a great deal and need no external finder.

I have the CV12 too because it's ultra sharp, but a little harder to frame properly than the 15mm.

and
24mm ASPH 2.8
28mm CV ASPH 1.9
35mm ASPH 2.0
50mm 1.0
75mm 1.4
90mm ASPH 2.0 APO
135mm 4.0

I had a nice chrome 50mm 1.4 pre-asph, but it popped off my camera one day and fell down the up escalator at Park Street subway station in Boston. It just kept bouncing and bouncing. A MBTA cop started to cry.

Fortunately, I managed to unload it on an unsuspecting patsy...

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I've been pretty happy with my current M8 kit:

WATE with Zeiss 21 finder
35 Cron ASPH
50 Cron (latest version)
90 Elmarit (latest version)

I know... only 4 lenses!! Especially when I have my own Leica shop. Oh the shame! :D

I try to restrain and limit myself so that I don't overpack and undershoot. Almost all of my shooting is with the 35 and 90, so these two will always stay. The WATE is just too much fun for landscape and travel and the 50 cron is nice for portraits. Everying fits into a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home and weighs less than 10 lbs fully packed.

If I was willing to use a bigger/heavier bag I'd add the 28 cron ASPH, 75 cron ASPH and 135 APO and propably leave the 50 behind.

David

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I had a nice chrome 50mm 1.4 pre-asph, but it popped off my camera one day and fell down the up escalator at Park Street subway station in Boston. It just kept bouncing and bouncing. A MBTA cop started to cry.

Fortunately, I managed to unload it on an unsuspecting patsy...
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

DaveB is the wonderful guy that sold my chrome 50 back to me (after some pleading on my part). Gee, I hope he is kidding about the escalator!:eek:...unsuspecting patsy!:shocked:

robertwright

came in to the M8 from M6 and had

28 elmarit
35 cron asph
50 pre lux

got the M8 and added

21 elmarit, then sold it.

25 zeiss was bodycap for a while
15 cv
12 cv both for interiors

traded 28 elmarit against 28 cron, best move ever.
recently added 50 noct. first sample (used) completely misfocused
returned and got another one and it is pretty darn close...except...well, you know.

probably done now. Thought about 75 cron but would need to sell the noct because it is too close and the 75 is easier to use. could not justify both and the 50 pre lux.

thinking of selling 15 and 12 and maybe zeiss 25 for wate.
:bugeyes:

ecliffordsmith

Daniel,

Well the 28/50 seems to be a very nice combination! There seem to be two camps regarding a standard lens on an M8, the 35 fov and the 50 fov.

We are just very very lucky these days to have the choice of such remarkable lenses!

Hank,

I like your style, I often think of getting the 35 summilux as the extra stop would be useful. I just get put off by the back focus issues I hear about.

Have you had any issues?