The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 - Lens lineup question

akiralx

I'm interested that most of you with a large collection of lenses omit a 24 when you have 21 and 28mm.

I have the Zeiss 21 f/4.5 and now the 28 Summicron and was looking at the 24 Elmarit but is there a consensus that this might not add very much?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I just forgot to put the 24 in the list. I used it a lot until I got the 21asph. The advantage of the 21 is that you have a little more forgiveness on cropping street shots. The 24 which can use the internal frames is much more accurate for framing up close. If either Leica or zeiss create a faster 18..then the 24 might be preferred.

M

Michael B. Elmer

M6
M8 black and chrome
WATE
21/2.8A
24/2.8A
28/2A
35/1.4A
35/2.5A
50/1.4A
75/2A
90/2A
Sold 50/1.0, 75/1.4 and many other primes, including 35/2 IV

D

Digital Dude

I'm interested that most of you with a large collection of lenses omit a 24 when you have 21 and 28mm.

I have the Zeiss 21 f/4.5 and now the 28 Summicron and was looking at the 24 Elmarit but is there a consensus that this might not add very much?
I had and sold the 28-cron before realizing just how great it really was! I now have the 24-Elmarit and the FOV difference is markedly dramatic!
Regards,:shocked:

jaapv

Subscriber Member

Had it and sold it. It is a superb lens, no doubt about it, but I cannot wrap my mind about the focal length, not on film nor on the M8. My blind spot, I suppose. Actually I sold it to my brother, and he has it on his M8 all the time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I am getting ready to head off on a weeks vacation with the family. I have pared my kit down to a bare minimum for me: M8 with 28 Cron mounted, 90 summarit in the bag just in case, 2 spare charged batteries and 4 spare SD cards. In lieu of a third lens, I stuck my GRD2 in the bag.

We'll see how well I survive on such a restricted diet!

:),

dfarkas

Workshop Member
FWIW, I am getting ready to head off on a weeks vacation with the family. I have pared my kit down to a bare minimum for me: M8 with 28 Cron mounted, 90 summarit in the bag just in case, 2 spare charged batteries and 4 spare SD cards. In lieu of a third lens, I stuck my GRD2 in the bag.

Brave man. :salute:

Hacker

21 ASPH, 24 ASPH and 28 ASPH are all very different, not to mention that the 28 ASPH has the Cron and the Elmarit versions. I like the 24 ASPH best, with the 28 Elmarit used when I need something more compact. 28 Cron is used when I need one more stop, while the 21 is used when I need something wider. There is also the WATE but I have actually not used it as I find it too large (more so with the VF), so I cannot comment on the quality. Had the Biogon ZM 25 but did not like the feel of it.

I'm not really a WA shooter. I prefer the 50-90 range.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If money were no object, I could make a strong case for owning at least one of every focal length lens for the M, as well as good cases for multiple versions of many focals... HOWEVER, at least for me, money is an object, as is the practical room available in my bag.

That said, I have owned the 24 and it has a completely different rendering than the 21 Elmarit Asph and 28 Cron pair -- it is more like the 50 Summilux Asph. The bigger but is in actual use for my style -- and I emphasize MY style -- of shooting, I found the 24 usually either too short or too long for what I wanted to shoot...

My .02,

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Jack, I'm on vacation this week and I brought only two batteries, 28 cron and a cv15,
no problem....

helenhill

Well now Jack
we can see you really are HOLDING yourself back.....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Quite Impressive and really what More do you Need

Best Regards & to a Wonderful Trip- Helen

I

itso_dimitrov

M8 black + Noctilux 50/1 and
M8 chrome + WATE at 18mm
+
28/2 Asph.
35/1.4 Asph.
50/1
75/2 Apo Asph.
90/2 Apo Asph.

woodyspedden

Lightweight Travel Kit

15 CV
21 Elmarit
28 Elmarit
50 Pre Asph
90 Elmar

If push came to shove I would eliminate the 21 Elmarit but frankly these five lenses, in an AA Oscar Day Bag make for a kit I can carry all day and I am 71!

Depending on the shoot requirements I can add 75 Lux, 90 APO/Asph and 135 ApoTelyt. Somewhere in the backof the bag is a CV 12.

Woody

dseelig

wate mate 28 cron 35 lux titanuim , 50 lux pre asph, 75 lux. I want a 25 zeiss again and a 50 planar zeiss as well. But those zeiss lenses will have to wait a while.