The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blacking Out an M9

A

Adam Marelli

I heard that the M9 is open to "a la carte" options, but Leica just has not advertised this yet.

Has anyone ever tried asking Leica to black out the white lettering on a black M9 or switch the red dot for a black one?

Just as an alternative to the electrical tape option.

Best-Adam

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com

...Has anyone ever tried asking Leica to black out the white lettering on a black M9 or switch the red dot for a black one?

While I don´t believe much in the theory that hiding the Leica symbols will make much of a difference in ´stealth´ potential, I´ve actually removed that white ´M 9´ text on the front, and I don´t miss it much.

All you need is a wooden toothpick; the white is soft enough to come off in rather large pieces. Underneath is the same black paint as on the rest of the top plate, and it won´t get scratched by the toothpick. I wouldn´t have done it if part of the ´M´ hadn´t fallen off spontaneously, but it didn´t look good that way, and it was easier to remove the rest of it than to find white paint to fill in the gaps....

As for that red dot: believe me, the only people who know what it stands for are those enthusiasts that would recognize a Leica 200 meters away even without any markings... If it did bother me, I´d just cover it with some black enamel paint, but I can live with it as it is :rolleyes:

01af

I heard that the M9 is open to "à la carte" options, but Leica just has not advertised this yet.
Yes indeed. Moreover, you can always order a black M9 in the fine-textured leatherette that usually comes with the steel-grey version, and vice versa, at no additional cost (but possibly at the expense of a longer wait).

Has anyone ever tried asking Leica to [...] switch the red dot for a black one?
They don't.

monza

The white is easy to remove, as stated above. And it's fairly easy to replace, using a white paint stick available from Micro Tools. About $2.

John Black

Monza - Would this same white stick work with engraved lenses? Or are the engravings too shallow and the white would flake off too easily? I've got some other (non-Leica) lenses that could benefit from some "detailing" :)

monza

Yes, in general, depending on the depth. I have spiffed up a few lenses this way. The paint stick is fairly soft but will dry in a day or two. Apply, wipe off excess, and let dry. The deeper/narrower the engraving, the easier it is. A wide engraving like "M9" is more difficult, because when the excess is cleared off, sometimes it pulls paint out of the engravings. Takes a little time to get the right technique.

John Black

I have no interest in blacking out the M9 :) This is for some other non-M lenses. I just ordered a set. For $20, it's worth a shot.

A

Adam Marelli

Thanks Per,

A toothpick, who would have thought. You are absolutely right about spotting a Leica from 200 yards away. I can usually tell just by the way someone holds a camera if its a Leica.

Though recently I had a guy, who did not appear to be an enthusiast, in Egypt tell say "Nice Leica, Red Dot." Funny huh?

2x2

You can order a Black Dot from DAG. Doing the switcheroo yourself is easy.

cam

as for the red dot part -- i decided if you can't beat them, join them.

i now have a bright red leather A&A strap and a Match Technical red lady bug BIP... the lady bug is all anybody talks about (the strap only occasionally and then, with lust) -- to the extent they don't even pay much attention to what camera i have...

talk about ultimate stealth :ROTFL:

cam

LOL!

i am refusing to treat it as "precious" even if it is... and, considering the relatively boring subjects i've been shooting to get used to it, i am just stunned stunned stunned!

when i was checking out dioptres the other day, i focused wide open on a guy in the shop... turns out is was David Beckham and i didn't even notice :eek:

(Kevin thinks i'm hopeless... but i do get in a zone...)

jonoslack

LOL!

i am refusing to treat it as "precious" even if it is... and, considering the relatively boring subjects i've been shooting to get used to it, i am just stunned stunned stunned!

when i was checking out dioptres the other day, i focused wide open on a guy in the shop... turns out is was David Beckham and i didn't even notice :eek:
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
Did he notice? Was he buying one himself (or was it an S2)? Did you get the shot?

(Kevin thinks i'm hopeless... but i do get in a zone...)
Yes, I get 'in a zone' sometimes as well . . .. it's a function of great artistic talent and proper concentration :D

cam

i like the "great artistic talent" part!
so do i :p

Jono,

got the shot... i'm afraid, though, it looked like the man was buying something Oly (maybe) and Panasonic... *that* was OOF... will put up the shot when i land -- if i survive the arctic cold (wouldn't you know it's a gorgeous day here?)... maybe i'll get lucky and some of the flight attendants will be wearing skirts :D

jonoslack

It was a kind of compliment you know - I hear they can be terribly effective, but never could get the hang of them myself.

Jono,

got the shot... i'm afraid, though, it looked like the man was buying something Oly (maybe) and Panasonic... *that* was OOF... will put up the shot when i land -- if i survive the arctic cold (wouldn't you know it's a gorgeous day here?)... maybe i'll get lucky and some of the flight attendants will be wearing skirts :D
Now Now - don't get arrested!
have a good trip.

jonoslack

Has anyone ever tried asking Leica to black out the white lettering on a black M9 or switch the red dot for a black one?

Best-Adam
Hi Adam
I would have thought that the thieves of this world had long since forgotten about Leica . . . . but all of them must know that a camera with electrical tape on it MUST be worth money.
And anyway, anyone who knows that Leica is valuable and can't recognise the shape of a Leica M must be a very odd person.

Why not just enjoy it as it is?

thrice

I enjoy and use my M9 extensively, but i love the look of the MP, I haven't chipped out the white M9 paint but I did swap to a black dot, much prettier imo :)