The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What backup body do you have?

H

Humood

Currently I have an X1, but I am seriously thinking of getting a second M9 maybe a grey one this time...and since I am leaving for London tonight..well we will see!!

W

wilsonlaidlaw

I decided to keep my M8 when I got my M9. However I now mainly use it on a Visoflex rather than as a back up. I am going to South Africa and Namibia after Christmas and I am taking both M8 (plus Viso and 280 Telyt) and M9 plus my real back up/camera, when I don't want to carry anything valuable, a Ricoh GX200. I also have had an M4 since 1967 but I am afraid that only gets used for B&W nowadays.

Wilson

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I simply have too many cameras, so there is no shortage of backup cameras - M9-M8u-M8-DMR/R8-Digilux3-Digilux2 and a number of film Leicas :bugeyes:<runs and hides in cupboard...>

dick

I would have thought that if your main camera was a 24 Mpx CaNikon, you back-up would be another one, or perhaps something to complement it like a 22Mpx MFD.

You can get spare bodies (at the time of purchase) for HD4-60's, but that does not help if the DigiBack fails... but you can pick up a 39Mpx?

danlindberg

It is really difficult with a backup. It is the M9 I want to work with but a second M9 is out of the question. And when my M9 is up and running the other one will be collecting dust. Still no info when I am having it back, it is now 16 days since it was sent away. :(

dick

It is really difficult with a backup. It is the M9 I want to work with but a second M9 is out of the question. And when my M9 is up and running the other one will be collecting dust. Still no info when I am having it back, it is now 16 days since it was sent away. :(
For portraiture I like to use two cameras at a time... I look confused, imply a technical problem by removing the lens from one camera, and then fire the other camera remotely... works well for the camera-shy.

Peter Klein

If I had a backup body, I'd want it to be about 4" taller, 25# lighter and 20 years younger. ;)
Kurt: Amen! :D

My backup body is a G1, with the 20/1.7 and kit zoom. I used it on a trip to BC, Canada when my shoulder was really bothering me and having a light camera was the only thing that mattered. It isn't quite Leica image quality, but it does do nicely in most cases. And my 90/3.5 VC lens makes a great telephoto. Using manual lenses on it is often more of a hassle than it's worth. Exceptions: The 90-as-180mm-telephoto, a 50/3.5 OM macro, and a 50/1.4 in the theater. Here, the manual focusing works out well.

I have my old M4-P and M6 film bodies, and I took one with me to Israel recently "just in case," but I confess I have only shot one roll of film since my M8 arrived 3 years ago.

--Peter

henningw

I usually carry an M8 with a 28/2, and also a couple of filters for the lenses I'm likely to use with the M8 in case something happens to the M9.

When travelling the M9 is used with 3 or 4 lenses and I take most of my pictures with it, but the M8 with 28 still gets a fair bit of use. It's nice because I know exactly what lens/angle of view I'll have when I pick up the M8, and the image quality is largely the same.

If I'm on a trip and likely to want longer telephoto or macro capability, I'll take a G series camera and appropriate lens, and also throw in the 20 and the kit zoom for backup purposes. That's what will happen in January, when we go to Central America for a short trip. M9 with WATE, 35/1.4, 75/2 and GH2 with 20, 14-45 and 100-300 and close up achromats. All in a Domke 803.

Henning

Henning

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have to agree with Mark on the NEX5. I have both the NEX5 and M6 as backups to my M9. This week I went on a trip downtown on the train. I took the NEX and M6 and left the M9 at home. The NEX had a Zeiss Biogon ZM 25 f/2.8 on it. It proved to be more useful all around. The M6 was loaded with slide film and I'm sure that I will like those photos best, but the NEX worked inside a dark church and a dark restaurant and outside as well. The NEX would be a lot more useful if it had a viewfinder, but it is a little gem that tucks into the bag and can be most useful.

RF_Licks

My M9 is also with Leica for repairs for past 2 weeks. As a hobby and I cannot justify another M9 as backup, so I'm shooting with a M6. I'm considering getting a NEX as a small and affordable backup for the M9 for situations where I don't want (or can't) to shoot film.

Joe

woodleica

I have to agree with Mark on the NEX5. I have both the NEX5 and M6 as backups to my M9. This week I went on a trip downtown on the train. I took the NEX and M6 and left the M9 at home. The NEX had a Zeiss Biogon ZM 25 f/2.8 on it. It proved to be more useful all around. The M6 was loaded with slide film and I'm sure that I will like those photos best, but the NEX worked inside a dark church and a dark restaurant and outside as well. The NEX would be a lot more useful if it had a viewfinder, but it is a little gem that tucks into the bag and can be most useful.
I have a NEX too. WRT viewfinder, Sean Reid just posted a review of after market Nex accessories, this being one of them:
http://www.jtec-online.com/coldshoe.html

I shaped my own cold shoe on top of the flash unit and it works well. I also use it for low light situations, with the Leica M lenses so the optical viewfinders are very useful for this ( taking the 1.5x into account ).

-Vinay