Site Sponsors

Thread: M8 and sensor dust under filter?

Post Thanks / Like

M8 and sensor dust under filter?

Hi,

I have just discovered that on both my M8 bodies that when shooting at F/5.6 and above I see many spots on the images. I have had the sensor cleaned on the first body and they reported that the is dust under the sensor filter? I did not see these spots before as shot with the lens wide open.

I have now just used my second body and shot a reference frame at F/16 and there are many spots just the same as the other body?Of course I then tested and shot from F/2-4 and the spots do not show up.

Has anybody had a similar experience as they are advising to sip the bodies back to Germany and I do not want to 1. lose them for a long time 2. have this kind of issue?

Regards

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: M8 and sensor dust under filter?

New M8s have a tendency to throw oil/grease spots on the sensor for a while.

Get some Eclipse 2 and #1 swabs, watch the video on their site, and start cleaning. You will have to do this several times in your first 1000 shots. I would be rather skeptical about someone telling you that the dust in under the IR filter.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know the cover glass/IR filter is an integral part of the package and is hermetically sealed. So unless the particles have been introduced during manufacture they're most unlikely to be under the filter.

Kodak KAF 10500 data sheet.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what you get from not cleaning the sensor yourself: It costs (too much) money, it is improperly done and they dream up excuses.....
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.