The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's go for a GetDpi Leica Thread Book !

jonoslack

Well, it's so much more difficult for people to pin you down:ROTFL:

I'll see you tomorrow around lunch time

is much easier to live up to than:

I'll be with you at 12.30

I just thought that a qualification like that rather removed the scope for arguments about eligibility - and also removed the responsibility of the organisers to trawl through 100,000 posts to check up on whether a post existed, whether it was in the right time scale. Indeed, it relieves the photographer of the necessity of finding that picture that they might (or might not) have posted way back when.
:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
FYI you have to be a member of GETDPI to load to the gallery so that eliminates that part. No one outside a membership can post or load to the gallery. They can view the forum but unless they are a member than they can't do anything. That is how the whole forum is set up. Just like many out there.

m_driscoll

No process; no product. How about :

1. Eligibility limited to members of getDPI (have to be to post to Gallery per GM)
2. Photos had to have been taken in 2010 using a Leica M digital camera (no film; stick to the initial premise) and preferably having been posted in the Leica M thread in 2010 (nobody's checking; you're on your honor)
3. Large landscape format
4. 2-page spread per photographer (if it's over 200 photographers, then 1-page; However, doesn't seem likely)
5. white background
6. standardized text font
7. name/photographer's country-city in same location on each 2-page spread
8. text limited to photo caption
9. appendix at rear could list metadata by photograph - camera/film/lens/etc.
10. all profits go to charity (OxFam, Mercy Corps, ?)
11. $50 USD submission fee goes to charity (That's a lot of money; but, you're using a $7,000 camera body for christ's sakes!!!)
12. Guy and Jack write introduction
13. Establish strict timetable

Here's the blurb cost page: http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing#large-format-landscape

Then, there's the issue of how this book is actually assembled? How would you create individualized spreads? etc.?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

danlindberg

With both "vertical/horizontal" photographers the most democratic format of the book would be a square format, this way a landscape or portrait orientation of an image gets equal size and importance.

To simplify further, there is always the possibility of a static layout and placing one image per page, thus, giving every photographer two images per spread.

Many good ideas here, the only one I am hesitant to is why the image has to be recent! I thought the main thing was that it was taken be a Leica M!

Anyway, I think that the best would be if Steflaurent (or someone appointed) defines the criteria and draws up the rules for everyone to follow. Too many voices can easily hinder progress...

steflaurent974

Dan, for now I find it convenient to let people throw their ideas on the project, as I didn't have myself a precise definition of it ! It's a kind of brainstorming...
Matt, Jono, Marc, you and others have provided a lot of useful idea or precise definition of the final project, but at a moment we have to synthetise all this stuff in a precise thing.

Matt and you have a clear idea of the project wich stick with its initial statement : a book about this thread : Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images.

jonoslack

Well - I think lots of ideas are good.

But I completely agree that Stef should define the parameters after we've all had our say.
Personally I agree with Dan about the time scale (maybe if it's a succcess then next year one could do a 2011 book).
I like Matt's ideas about the donation side.
not so sure about the 'leaving it to honour' bit though. I think it should either be tight or loose!

One thing about Blurb is that the premium paper is much nicer - and that (I think) limits it to 160 pages (still, that's 80 photographers).

GMB

No process; no product. How about :

3. Large landscape format
4. 2-page spread per photographer (if it's over 200 photographers, then 1-page; However, doesn't seem likely)

Here's the blurb cost page: http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing#large-format-landscape

Cheers, Matt

200 photographers x 2 pages + intro etc. gets you in the 400-440 page range. This means that the book would be over 175 dollars + tax and shipping. Not sure how many one would sell.

blimey

a lot of good suggestion... instead, you need to centralize the effort by nominating a committee headed by steflaurent974.

steflaurent974 should take all the inputs into account and establishing the requirement and details and then putting it again for review and finally get into the photos and etc...

just a thought... when you have an open discussion, it can go on and on.. someone has to lay down the law.

again just a thought but i am in. although i am not as good as majority of the people here but who knows.

m_driscoll

Here's a little more:
1. limit it to one photograph per photographer on one page
2. Keep it to 2010 photographs done with a digital Leica M

This would keep the content down; make the layout easier; limit the photos that could be used; make the book cheaper; make a 2011 book more plausible.

One photograph per photographer could really highlight the variations in content, technique, and post-processing that run through the M-thread. It's harder to see that when you're scrolling through the screens. I't be fun to see it in a book.

Cheers, Matt

steflaurent974

thanks Matt, I take note. I've got real life work to do at now, but as soon as I got time I'll propose a synthesis of all your propositions.

Cheers, Stef.

proenca

I'm game.

Few more suggestions :

- comittee to handle all this should be made, you have to have 2-3-4 people responsible for handling the files, choosing them, etc.
- standard layout should be used to have coherence throughout the book - standard font just doesnt cut it - then for 10 pages we will have 10 diferent layouts with the same font... layout should be decided and implemented throughout the book
- each photographer should have 2 pages ( or whatever is decided ) and a introduction , choosen by the photographer - people will send their photos(s), text and forum username and all be displayed in their page. comitee will handle all submissions and "make up" the book according to this - seen a couple of interesting layouts already in this thread
- 10% or so markup should be applied to the book and donated to some charity... lets asy the book will cost 30-40-50 usd / euro, that means each book ordered will conver 4-5 euros to a charity organization.
- agree that Jack and Guy should make the intro

oh and I'm in :)

M5-Guy

Here's a little more:
1. limit it to one photograph per photographer on one page
2. Keep it to 2010 photographs done with a digital Leica M

This would keep the content down; make the layout easier; limit the photos that could be used; make the book cheaper; make a 2011 book more plausible.

One photograph per photographer could really highlight the variations in content, technique, and post-processing that run through the M-thread. It's harder to see that when you're scrolling through the screens. I't be fun to see it in a book.

Cheers, Matt

I guess us Film Leica shooters will have to do our own "Classic Leica Film Photography" book.. No Digital Ms allowed...:talk028: