The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fed up

danlindberg

It is three weeks ago I sent away my M9 for calibration. Not a single word on when it is coming back. Yes, I have phoned once a week and even written an email reminder every week. Each time the shop has replied "Patience is required, no we have no word from Leica".
I have now "lost" two wellpaid assignments and I have three assignments that are on standby. These clients are not in a hurry, but I feel naked having to say "sorry, I have no camera, can I do those shoots, let's say...mid January?".
Right now I feel :cussing::angry::mad::deadhorse:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Having but one camera in the stable exposes you to being camera-less.
It really does not seem to matter if it is Leica or other "smaller-share" brand. I think they all have turn-around time issues from time to time.
The Major Brand cameras such as Canon and Nikon seem to have quicker turn around time from my experience, although all of them can from time to time be delayed due to parts availability or holidays.

I thought that Leica shooters require a certain degree of patience having been one myself.

-bob

Terry

If you really are stuck, can you ask your dealer if there is a way to get a loaner from Leica? Perhaps one of the units they use for the press for reviews.

danlindberg

Funny enough, since I posted only a little while ago, I actually recieved an email from the dealer.

My camera is still in Germany, but is ready and will be sent to Denmark today and then to Sweden when it arrives there! They apologiesed for the long wait and they recognize that they "do have a problem" with fast turnarounds.

My dealer have "demanded" (so he tells me) two loaner M9's from the Leica distributor. Let's see if this is going to happen...

Furthermore, next year Leica Scandinavia is planning to introduce some sort of "Leica Professional Member" to be more supportive. This is ofcourse great news even if they do not say when next year or how the "membership" will look like.

The good thing, as I see it, is that Leica is recognizing the problem and that they are working for a solution! :clap:

SergeiR

well, you also may want to take in account that for about 2 weeks ago and for almost all of last week Europe was hit by snow pretty badly - half-way paralyzed.. I.e its just timing too.

D&A

Hi,

I most certainly sympathize with your fustration. As mentioned, although having a backup such as a second M9, is generally the solution (not only if one body is in for repairs), but if ever a body "goes down" during a shoot, there is little interuption of completing or having to delay paying jobs. In the long run, some sort of appropriate back-up pays off, even with the inital expense.

Delays in repairs due to shortage of parts from distributors of course is often out of the control of manufacturers such as Leica, but other times its can simply be a question of a shortage of manpower. In these situations, especially with smaller high end companies like Leica, often times the solution is to finda loaner, either within the confines of the company or in the dealer network. I would expect (or at least hope for) for the company to provide a timely response and make an ernest attempt in finding at least a temporary solution.

Although a bit different and certainly not a direct comparison, I'm reminded of a big box store here in the states which I am not particulary fond of. They are quick to provide products and assistance in making purchases (ie: take your money)...dozens and dozens of floor help individuals hovering over you, while they try to ram almost every accessory that is associated with the primary item into your shopping cart (sometimes when the item is not even needed). This goes hand and hand with the multitude of registers ready to rake in your cash. Yet come back a day later to return an item (unopened and un-used) and there sits a large impressive "customer service area" with up to 5-7 other registers, for the sole purpose of reversing the sale (refund) and at best, its never staffed by more than one person, who generally disappears from view most of the time from helping anyone with the return, as this line piles up as far as the eye can see. Many leave fustrated and give up ever getting their money back and exclaim "it's not worth it"

My point is if a company is going to sell high priced items and be ready to serve one "in point of sale", they also should work just as hard and be just as attentive in the reverse direction when problems and issus arrise. This often is far from reality.

As for Leica, in almost all circumstances, my own experience has been a very positive one (in both directions), but of course I realize with even the best of companies, thats not always the case with each of their loyal customers.

Now don't let me get started on certain car companies.....LOL!

Glad to hear your camera is on its way back to you!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Business 101: Never staff accounts payable better than accounts receivable :cool:

I feel that many camera companies are really trying within their means to support their products better. I know it can be frustrating to wait. Nothing beats a backup on-hand.

Some companies and/or dealer networks offer a professional service program for a fee. You might bridle at paying for what you think ought to come "in the box" but for a shooter with money on the line, a backup or one of these added-value services may be worth the cash.
-bob

GMB

Funny enough, since I posted only a little while ago, I actually recieved an email from the dealer.

My camera is still in Germany, but is ready and will be sent to Denmark today and then to Sweden when it arrives there! They apologiesed for the long wait and they recognize that they "do have a problem" with fast turnarounds.
Being based in Sweden, you seem to have the same problem that I had in Belgium. Camera goes from dealer to distributor to Leica to distributor to dealer. I was told that in Belgium this means you loose about one week each way, as the distributor normally ships only once or twice a week to Leica in Germany.

Once I knew that, I send my M8 to Leica via the dealer but asked Leice to ship the camera to me directly, which they did. With the M9. I shipped it to Leica and they shipped it back to me. This reduced the turn-around time.

danlindberg

Thanks for your respones. I simply needed to let out some steem.

Financially I can buy a second M9, but I do not like the idea of having an M9 collecting dust while the main one is working. I would rather pay a resonable yearly fee for a "Professional membership" with a guaranteed loaner at hand in case of...

I recognize that things do break sometimes, but what I do not find ok is waiting 3 weeks with not a single word or indication on when I could expect it back. The problem? A focus calibration, nothing more serious....

Lets hope it is perfect when it arrives and after 3 exposures all is forgotten :p

D&A

Thanks for your respones. I simply needed to let out some steem.

Financially I can buy a second M9, but I do not like the idea of having an M9 collecting dust while the main one is working. I would rather pay a resonable yearly fee for a "Professional membership" with a guaranteed loaner at hand in case of...

I recognize that things do break sometimes, but what I do not find ok is waiting 3 weeks with not a single word or indication on when I could expect it back. The problem? A focus calibration, nothing more serious....

Lets hope it is perfect when it arrives and after 3 exposures all is forgotten :p
Yes, funny you should mention "good communication" from any company (especially a small specilized company the size and likes of Leica), when it comes to the status of a delayed repair on a much needed item. I was just thinking about that when I wrote my post above. Out of all things, good communication by a company (on say a delayed repair staus of a camera) is neither expensive or difficult, yet many companies are not very good at it or don't put much effort into achieving this. I never understood that since its one of the simplest of ways to keep the consumer/users feeling that they are not neglected and that their urgent needs are being addressed and not forgotten. It may be one of the most cost effective way of keeping their customer base happy and coming back for future purchases.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Business 101: Never staff accounts payable better than accounts receivable :cool:-bob

LOL Bob...the large company I was referring to (above) has turned practicing Business 101, into an art :)

Dave (D&A)

dannh

For comparison to what happens in the US, I sent off my M9 on December 1st to repair a sensor issue. There was no communication for over a week after the camera was received by Leica so I emailed them. They quickly responded, assuring me they had received the camera and it was being evaluated. A few days later I received a quote for 0 dollars since the repair was being covered under warranty, through snail mail on what looks like a dot-matrix printed sheet of paper (hah!). The repair was scheduled to be completed on 12/17. Today, on 12/20 my M9 showed up.

Overall, I'm content with the turnaround time. I haven't yet tested the camera, but hope that the repair was effective. My requests to Leica are:

1. Improve the communication with the customer. I'd like some confirmation that my really expensive camera was received, looked at, and diagnosed. I'd also appreciate if the communication was through email instead of snail mail. I got email responses to my questions, but only after pursuing them myself.

2. For such an expensive item, I think Leica should send out a pre-paid & insured box for shipping. I guess I have to eat the $50 to ship my M9 insured, even though it was a sensor fault covered under warranty. I hope nothing else goes wrong, the shipping costs will really add up.

I plan to offer this feedback directly to Leica as well. They included a feedback form in the box. That's a good sign.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For comparison to what happens in the US, I sent off my M9 on December 1st to repair a sensor issue. There was no communication for over a week after the camera was received by Leica so I emailed them. They quickly responded, assuring me they had received the camera and it was being evaluated. A few days later I received a quote for 0 dollars since the repair was being covered under warranty, through snail mail on what looks like a dot-matrix printed sheet of paper (hah!). The repair was scheduled to be completed on 12/17. Today, on 12/20 my M9 showed up.

Overall, I'm content with the turnaround time. I haven't yet tested the camera, but hope that the repair was effective. My requests to Leica are:

1. Improve the communication with the customer. I'd like some confirmation that my really expensive camera was received, looked at, and diagnosed. I'd also appreciate if the communication was through email instead of snail mail. I got email responses to my questions, but only after pursuing them myself.

2. For such an expensive item, I think Leica should send out a pre-paid & insured box for shipping. I guess I have to eat the $50 to ship my M9 insured, even though it was a sensor fault covered under warranty. I hope nothing else goes wrong, the shipping costs will really add up.

I plan to offer this feedback directly to Leica as well. They included a feedback form in the box. That's a good sign.
17 days door to door for a sensor replacement is not bad really.
-bob

dannh

17 days door to door for a sensor replacement is not bad really.
-bob
Agreed. I get to use the camera over the Christmas holiday which is pretty cool! I had assumed I wouldn't see the camera until the new year.