The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

For those worried about their M9

blimey

M9 Prototype... with m8 case?

Ive seen threads about make their M9 incognito to prevent theft and etc..

Here is a solution for you.. Sells yours and get this... :bugeyes:

Please note, I am not affiliated with the seller. I saw this over at Leica Rumors. If this violated the forum terms and condition. Mods, please remove it.

Ebay for sale - **LEICA M9 ** PROTOTYPE IN ORIGINAL BOX / VERY RARE !!!

The description is as follow:

Offered to you this time is a very,very rare camera !! It is a proto-type of the Leica M9 in black which has got serialnumber : N0000032 and shows little wear as you can see on the pictures which I've attached with this auction. Although the topplate is "saying" that it is a M8 ofcourse all the functions are in the camera which are normally there when you buy an M9 !! So the camera is an M9 with a M8 topplate and is a "pre production" model of the camera which made Leica famous again !! Camera works for the full 100%,finder is clean and clear and all shutterspeeds run accurate. The body does not show a dent or ding. It comes with all the accesoires included in the original Leica box and also with a year garantee !! Good luck bidding !!

Leicaplace is an official Leica Dealer for over 15 years now and we only deal in the highest quality of photographic equipement. We ALWAYS have stock of the newest Leica/Rollei and Voigtlander items. For instance we now have got stock of the limited edition of the WHITE M8 EDITION OR M8.2 SAFARI KIT as for DEMO M8/M8.2 bodies in both chrome and black as for the newest LEICA M9 (ON STOCK NOW !!) and for the newest Rollei digital cameras and TLR’s (TELE and WIDE and the famous "80 years Editions"). If you’re looking for something you cannot find in your own photo store please feel free to check ours !! The prices will also amaze you !! Our reputation and knowledge is widely known as is our perfect service we give our satisfied customers for free !!

cam

a prototype has been seen before -- one of our forum own has one. and a lovely camera it is.

the camera for sale above is for collectors only. quite a pity!

a thief will not know the difference between an M8 and an M9. they want money, period.

and, as far as i'm concerned, if somebody is too nervous to use their M9 out of fear that it will be stolen, you are right: they should sell it!

period.

paranoia is more likely to get a camera stolen than whatever markings it has or doesn't have.

jonoslack

Ho Hum
There have been a few of these sold over the last year - usually for about that price.
But as Cam says, I can't see how it's going to solve the problem, although I guess it might confuse the thief to death!
tough to sell as well, I guess the serial numbers and the owners might just be recorded?

I wonder how many there are?

jonoslack

Jono, just out of curiosity: were these prototypes owned by the testers (like yourself), or were they loaners from Leica? I did assume they remained Leica´s property during, and after, the test period, and if so, how could they legally be sold even now?
Hi Per
I've no idea what happened to them after the test period, or what anyone else's arrangements were.

I'm sure that this sale wouldn't be illegal though, several other ones have been sold at auction as far as I'm aware (Jaap posted information on one a while ago.)

cam

I did assume they remained Leica´s property during, and after, the test period, and if so, how could they legally be sold even now?
maybe Leica wants to sell them and is going through a dealer?

really not that different from a limited edition (though quite a bit scarcer, i imagine)... what would be the use of keeping them?

Traut

I have used this ploy with my wife over the years. Worked with Nikons and certain sports cars that changed little.

I got caught when she got into my new car one day and said "didn't this used to have a black interior?".

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have used this ploy with my wife over the years. Worked with Nikons and certain sports cars that changed little.

I got caught when she got into my new car one day and said "didn't this used to have a black interior?".
I found a solution to that one. As long as the new car is white, my wife asks no questions....don't ask me why and anyway I don't want to know - as long as it works.