Site Sponsors

Thread: Summarit M lens hoods

Post Thanks / Like

Summarit M lens hoods

What's the deal with these things? I read a lot of negative comments about them spinning around and not staying tight on the lens....Is that true? Can anybody tell me their experience? Thanks for any info

pinholga

Re: Summarit M lens hoods

I have enjoyed using both the 75mm and 90 mm Summarits for the last year and can admit to having no difficulties with the hoods. The hood behaves identically to every other screw on hood I have ever used, no problems. The small size and light weight of these lenses, combined with excellent sharpness and fairly good rendering of out of focus areas have made these an excellent travel lens options for me. I have no experience with the hoods for the 50mm and 35mm summarit variations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am new to the Leica-M system. Started with a brand new M9 and a second hand Summarit-M 35mm. I just got a hood for it the other week. No problems except that it blocks the viewfinder rather much as it is square and not vented.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer...I appreciate it

Just wanted to add that the summarits are interesting to me because of the muted contrast quality rather than the lower prices. I have a gut feeling that they might balance well when using higher contrast films.

01af

Re: Summarit-M lens hoods

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Just wanted to add that the Summarits are interesting to me because of the muted contrast quality rather than the lower prices. I have a gut feeling that they might balance well when using higher contrast films.
    Sorry ... but you're in for a surprise. The fool who told you the Summarits had 'muted contrast quality' was wrong.

Regarding the screw-on hoods ... they tend to come loose when you're grabbing the lens by the hoods—e. g. fingertips on lens' barrel, hood in hand's palm—while mounting or dismounting them. During normal use, however, they will always stay firmly in place.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The one for my 75 works fine, the onr for my 35mm Summarit is somewhat loose.
    I even question if I should have gotten the 35 hood since the lens works very well without hood too and is quite a bit smaller without the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve Huff mentioned the loose hood for the 35 Summarit in his review of the lens--actually showed it in a video. I would see about an alternative. I had a friend in Japan pick up some Yama hoods for some of my lenses. Very nicely made.