The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My M9 ISO 2500 technique

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Yes - there seems to be some pre-RAW conversion processing going on, but what and how much is unclear, other than that it is minimal compared to other brands and probably virtually undetectable.
Thanks for posting your noise reduction methods!

JAAP, are you seeing much of a difference between ISO 1200 & ISO 2400? Sure looks to me also like they are doing some internal processing behind the scenes....

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Yes - there is a small amount of noisereduction going on @ 2500, specifically noise that Leica says "cannot be reduced in postprocessing" :confused:

Maybe some type of banding???

leicashot

Interesting topic. I have to be honest and say I don't really understand, but I know one thing from a lot of experience shooting in low light with digital. There is a huge difference between shooting in various 'forms' of low light. There is CLEAN low light and DIRTY low light, where dirty low light is a very soft and almost no existent form of diffused low light that digital sensors, and even film for that matter struggle to record details.

Clean low light is usually from a fairly direct light source, and even thought it's low, it's transmission is much better, highlighting details enough for the sensor to record information much more effectively. I think if people understand the difference, they really won't waste their time even shooting in dirty light, unless they have no choice and must take that picture. For photographers, just being aware of this, can significantly help in PP.

tollie

Workshop Member
Like Muddy... I just found your post JAAPV... so many thanks. I learn something new every day. The sharpening approach makes a big difference.